Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
acemccloudxx
Java Master
acemccloudxx doesn't litteracemccloudxx doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Sony Bookstore Hangs

I have been having this problem with Sony's Connect software - when I'm trying to browse and buy books (I still have 27 classic downloads remaining) the connection to the bookstore site frequently hangs. This is frequently seen when trying to navigate the categories, when trying to search and when downloading files.

I have Verizon FIOS which gives me a very fast and rock solid internet connection, so whatever the problem is, it's something that affects just this one program.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ace
acemccloudxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
No suggestions, but for what it's worth I have found the same thing, especially when searching. I also have a fast (cable modem) connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemccloudxx View Post
I have been having this problem with Sony's Connect software - when I'm trying to browse and buy books (I still have 27 classic downloads remaining) the connection to the bookstore site frequently hangs. This is frequently seen when trying to navigate the categories, when trying to search and when downloading files.

I have Verizon FIOS which gives me a very fast and rock solid internet connection, so whatever the problem is, it's something that affects just this one program.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Ace
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
I also have Verizon FiOS connection, and have experienced the same types of problems with the Sony bookstore since November!
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
No problems here, but I've only used the store a few times mainly just to browse (& get 5 of my 100 classics). I don't generally buy from them. When I do browse I do lots of searching & category hopping.

Using a Comcast connection on a Vista machine, running version 2.1 of the software.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
love the title although many would say it should read "sony bookstore gets hung"
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I find that it hangs frequently. I've assumed there's nothing to be done about it but wait or come back later.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also use Verizon FiOS and have yet to have a problem with the Sony store.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
acemccloudxx
Java Master

I just got a reply from Sony that might actually be helpful. I will try it out tonight and post the results.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
I just got a reply from Sony that might actually be helpful. I will try it out tonight and post the results.
Looking forward to the results.
I find that when searching it is VERY slow. Eventually turns up a result but you must be VERY patient.

What is interesting is that if you use your browser and go to the Connect site it will search for a book much quicker.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
So what did Sony have to say?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
acemccloudxx
Java Master

Below I have included the instructions that they sent me. Making this change means that, when it encounters a problem it no longer hangs but instead fails almost instantly. This is more convenient but certainly not great.

Quote:
In order to allow for better communication between your computer and the eBook Store by Sony, please make the following adjustments in your Internet Explorer browser software

Internet Explorer
tools - internet options - general tab - browsing history area, delete.
temporary internet files
cookies
history

tools - internet options - security tab - security level for this zone.
default level - set to lowest setting, (usually medium).

tools - internet options - privacy tab -
default - set to lowest - (accept all cookies)

You may also set up Internet Explorer to allow all communications from a certain web site. To do so, go to

tools - internet options - privacy tab - sites: you may type in a name of a web site here and tell IE to allow communication with that site.

The web addresses used by the Connect eBook store are:

ebooks.connect.com
sony.vo.llnwd.net
ebooks-imgs.connect.com
ebooks-downloads.connect.com
ebooks-mediasvr.connect.com