Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #451
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
My Kobo Glo has now the interface of the Kobo Aura. What do I need to download in order to get my old interface back? I'm completely new when it comes to these things and I'm not sure where I need to post this question.

My Kobo currently has the 2.8.1 firmware and I have the 3.2.3 desktop on my computer.
As others have suggested, it's possible to return to 2.5.2.

However, I would suggest avoiding that route. It is probable that all future firmware releases will be based upon the new interface, so you will miss bug fixes. It is also possible to improve your experience with the Kobo Utilities plugin for Calibre (it will automatically remove tiles so that only books will appear on the home screen).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #452
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
This is neat. I just added several books to my 2.8.1 Glo, and the progress bar is much more intuitive than the older percentage-counter.

I do note, however, that the device does go to sleep fairly quickly after being disconnected from my computer,
I can never work this out either. Sometimes I think it hasn't reset the sleep timer from before the connect. But, other times it seems to stay awake for the full 15 minutes.
Quote:
that the lost-most-recent-read bug is still around (see step 9 below), and that thumbnails aren't properly refreshed until after a full power-cycle.
There is some caching of the covers going on. The power cycle clears it. For the pre-tiled home screen, once the books left the home screen, the images were reread. I think this is still the case. But, there is definitely an error in this case. Those images should have been removed from the cache.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #453
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi huys,

I've installed the 2.8.1 fw on my kobo glo and all seems to ok except one thing. Statistics that we can see here are not appears no mine :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1374284804

No arrow appears and no stat, only "55% Read". Have you got the same "bug" ?

Last edited by akorx; 08-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #454
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Those reading statistics are only for kepubs. If you are reading epubs, PDF or any other format, you only get the percentage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #455
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Speaking of 2.8.1, is there any way to get at the total number of books on the device now? I mean, I like knowing how many pages the list has, but I also like having the total count available.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #456
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Speaking of 2.8.1, is there any way to get at the total number of books on the device now? I mean, I like knowing how many pages the list has, but I also like having the total count available.
On all firmwares I've seen so far including 2.8.1 you could click on library and it tells you on the right upper hand the number of items.
I am not aware that this was different in any of the older ones...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #457
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
On all firmwares I've seen so far including 2.8.1 you could click on library and it tells you on the right upper hand the number of items.
On 2.8.1/Glo, as part of the new interface, it tells you Page X of Y instead of Books X-Y of Z.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #458
ondroso
ondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Downgrade problem, from 2.8.1 to 2.5.2

Hi guys,

I have serious problem with Kobo glo, model N613. I sideloaded firmware 2.8.1 and then decided to downgrade to 2.5.2. After initial sideload Kobo worked fine (without problem but I don`t like interface). Now after downgrade it doesn`t load anything except five flashing squares... (It seems to be starting but nothing happens..)

Any ideas how to solve this issue without disassembling Kobo? (I don`t have backuped internal sd card..)

thanks.
ondroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #459
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondroso View Post
Hi guys,

I have serious problem with Kobo glo, model N613. I sideloaded firmware 2.8.1 and then decided to downgrade to 2.5.2. After initial sideload Kobo worked fine (without problem but I don`t like interface). Now after downgrade it doesn`t load anything except five flashing squares... (It seems to be starting but nothing happens..)

Any ideas how to solve this issue without disassembling Kobo? (I don`t have backuped internal sd card..)
Have you tried a factory reset yet? On the Glo, hold the power switch for about 20 seconds (this ensures the Glo is powered off). Then hold down the light switch while you power the Glo back on. Continue to hold the light switch until the LED starts blinking rapidly. You should see the restoring screen at that time.

If the factory restore worked and if you are using your computer and the Kobo Desktop application, I'd suggest that you go through the setup procedure but do not eject the Glo at the end. Take a look at the .kobo directory where you should see the upgrade directory and files. Delete the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files then copy the contents of the Kobo firmware 2.5.2 zip file into the .kobo directory. Safely remove the Glo and it should update your firmware.

Good luck!

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #460
ondroso
ondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipseondroso can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Downgrade problem, from 2.8.1 to 2.5.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Have you tried a factory reset yet? On the Glo, hold the power switch for about 20 seconds (this ensures the Glo is powered off). Then hold down the light switch while you power the Glo back on. Continue to hold the light switch until the LED starts blinking rapidly. You should see the restoring screen at that time.

If the factory restore worked and if you are using your computer and the Kobo Desktop application, I'd suggest that you go through the setup procedure but do not eject the Glo at the end. Take a look at the .kobo directory where you should see the upgrade directory and files. Delete the upgrade directory and the KoboRoot.tgz and manifest.md5sum files then copy the contents of the Kobo firmware 2.5.2 zip file into the .kobo directory. Safely remove the Glo and it should update your firmware.

Good luck!

Regards,
David
Hi,
so today I tried it again.. Factory restore, restored Kobo back to 2.8.1. And again after replacing files to downgrade, Kobo can`t start. Only five flashing squares.. I`ll try downgrade to another version..

anyway, thanks

ondro.
ondroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #461
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Avoid at all costs a downgrade.

If you have to do anything, follow the advice found elsewhere here... Factory Reset, setup via Kobo Desktop, and delete the upgrade files before disconnecting the unit.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #462
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondroso View Post
Hi,
so today I tried it again.. Factory restore, restored Kobo back to 2.8.1. And again after replacing files to downgrade, Kobo can`t start. Only five flashing squares.. I`ll try downgrade to another version..
As an experiment this time, after the Kobo Desktop is finished and before ejecting the Glo, go into the .kobo directory, delete the upgrade files and then eject the Glo. It should come up in the factory firmware version. If this is successful, then reconnect to your computer and copy only the KoboRoot.tgz file for the firmware version you want into the .kobo directory -- do not copy the upgrade directory or the md5sum file -- and allow the upgrade to run. In the second pass, do not run the Kobo Desktop application.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #463
HenkieHeld
HenkieHeld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi,

I have side loaded firmware 2.8.1 on my Mini. Is it correct that the Mini does not have the same UI as the 2.8.1 Glo? I also, for example, cannot swipe in the librabry or settings.

Regards,
Robert
HenkieHeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #464
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenkieHeld View Post
Hi,

I have side loaded firmware 2.8.1 on my Mini. Is it correct that the Mini does not have the same UI as the 2.8.1 Glo? I also, for example, cannot swipe in the librabry or settings.

Regards,
Robert
Correct. The UI changes are only for the Glo and Aura. Touches and Minis retain the old UI.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #465
RangoX
RangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
Why is my kobo touch stuck in 2.5.2? I see there are newer versions but my kobo is not updating further.
RangoX is offline   Reply With Quote