Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
mimosawind
mimosawind began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with anchored images

Hey all -
I've been on the path of learning how to create ePubs for my company and have hit a roadblock.
At the beginning of each chapter they want the book to look like...

But even after anchoring it appears like this when I export from InDesign to ADE it comes out like...

(it also does this when viewed in Sigil and calibre as well)

Now is this something which I have to adjust in ID or is it something I have to wait to fix until after I've finished with the rest of the book, export and handle in the .css files?

ID is what I'm mostly using - I've already watched the lynda.com video on CS5 - ePub, Kindle and iPad. Not sure what other information would be needed.
I'm learning on my own though, so I'm sure there are plenty of things still unknown to me.
Thanks in advance for any help!
mimosawind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
I'm no expert but I don't think you could get that to ever render correctly. That's one of the biggest problems with InDesign, it lets you do things with your layout that will not translate into ePub since it was designed more for print publishing not electronic. Even if you could it wouldn't render the same on all devices/software (let alone convert to Kindle format).

I would create a single image for the whole chapter header and use that instead.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Forget doing this with InDesign - it's just not up to it.

I've attached an ePub that will show you how to code the css to make this happen.
Attached Files
File Type: epub chapterFloat.epub (191.4 KB, 136 views)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
mimosawind
mimosawind began at the beginning.

Device: none
Beautiful. Thank you so much charleski!
mimosawind is offline   Reply With Quote