Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #166
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Probably frightened off by the Nook vs. Kindle holy war that sprung up.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #167
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretMochaLatte View Post
Has anyone else noticed how the originator of this thread threw a grenade in here and never responded?
No. Possibly because I'm not very observant, but also because you just made that up.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #168
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Wait, you mean it actually matters if an ebook has DRM and is formatted differently from what your ebr natively reads?

I shoulda popped some popcorn before I started reading this thread!

I must be doing things the hard way when I buy an ebook at whatever store I choose, d/l the ebook to my PC, import it to Calibre, then email it to my K3.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #169
FerretMochaLatte
FerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it isFerretMochaLatte knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STR, Thinking about a Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
No. Possibly because I'm not very observant, but also because you just made that up.

Haha you are right. That was my mistake and I take it back. I mean to post this in the consumer reports: nook beats kindle thread, but I got lost between open tabs.
FerretMochaLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #170
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
many of the books from my kindle can come with me to most readers. why? because many of the ebooks i read on my kindle are non-drm'ed mobi files from smashwords, and almost all (maybe all) are also available in epub and txt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
But to answer your question, It's not like I'm going to throw away my nook. Let's say Sony comes out with THE ultimate ereader. I would say 40% of my library easily comes with me. So if I ever want to go back and read any of the books that are tied to BN and the nook, I still will have my nook.

So 40% can come as opposed to the kindle (without stripping and converting) 0% comes with you.

You see that's the difference.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #171
jago25_98
Zealot
jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jago25_98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: n35 p800 n30
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
A 6" eink reader is basically worthless for technical pdfs if you ask me. An android tablet or ipad is the best way for pdfs imo. An eink reader is simply for enjoyment of books along with an occasional annotation.
Oh dear, I don't read fiction so perhaps I have to have the disapline to wait for something better (assuming the Notion Adam isn't it)
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #172
lucifer1306217
lucifer1306217 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh

"Normal people" who grew up with the web or were only ever exposed to the Internet via a web browser, often make no distinction between 'the Internet' and 'the World Wide Web.'
Developers still have to
lucifer1306217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #173
steeltape
steeltape began at the beginning.

Device: none
so.. what should i buy then? kindle or nook touch.
this thread is fun btw. it's like reading console war.
never thought ereader would have such war lol

i don't really need to highlight stuff and i haven't read any
serious book for about 2 years now. I kind of want to start reading again.
a browser would be nice as there is a lot of japan light novel available on net.

nook touch sd feature does give it a big advantage but like
someone said in earlier page of this thread, why would u need 32gb space
if you can't use mp3 or anything else . i've seen root on nook and didn't like it
since it blinks too much even tho the function available seem on par with
kindle after rooting.

and kindle has landscape mode. that is really useful ..
also it seems that kindle font is a lot more darker
so i don't need to squint my eyes much.

i will also be using it to read manga.

can't decide
steeltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #174
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
i will also be using it to read manga.
e-ink screens are not good for manga. I'd look at the Nook Color or a tablet.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #175
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
e-ink screens are not good for manga. I'd look at the Nook Color or a tablet.
Well, they couldbe good for mangas, being black and white... but the mangas would have to be made to better fit the screens - fewer panels per page larger text-sizes.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote