Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
cb2006
cb2006 began at the beginning.

Device: SonyReader
igorsk, has Sony tried to hire you yet??
cb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, why would they?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, to make use of your skills, obviously. You seem to be able to do things that the programmers that they have working for them now evidently can't.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure they can do all that just fine. It's just that the marketing folks have their own vision.
I myself am working in a pretty big company's (not so big) software department and I can perfectly understand why Sony doesn't add more features and why they don't release a full SDK.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
Pode
Pode began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have troubles working with the testviewer sample.

After proper compilling of the dll with VS2005, I placed it in the directory next to the reader executable file.

I run Connect, with the "debug console" open.
When trying to open a ".txt2" file with something like "HEllo world !", inside, nothing happens.
The reader UI doesn't show anything in the viewing windows, not even a blank page.
When I check the console (I commented nearly all the "printf" lines to avoid filling the console windows with junk I don't need at the time), I can see that the application open and dispose the file 2 consecutives times. I don't know if it's the proper behavior.
More, when I check hostData->pszFileUrl (the name of the file normally passed to the dll file),
Code:
printf("File: %s, \n", hostData->pszFileUrl);
just shows me
Code:
File: (null)
And all the others properties of hostData (a ViewerData kind of variable, if igorsk remembers his code ) are set to null...

I suppose there's a problem when the file is handled to the dll. But I don't know what's wrong (and I imagine that tracing the whole Connect with a debugger will be a real pain...). Does anybody have a hint ?
Pode is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
html?

Learning that the Reader ran tinyhttp, I loaded an html file on an SD card and popped it into the Reader. It failed to show up in the file list in the Reader. Wondering then whether the Reader would render html embedded in a text file, I changed the file extension to "txt" and put it back into the Reader. Again, it failed to show up in the file list on the Reader, though the Reader had placed its characteristic data on the SD card.

This suggests the Reader is actually looking at the file content during the indexing process.

It would be nice if the Reader would display html. Any ideas?
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #22
igorsk
Wizard

Despite the fact that the main application is called "tinyhttp", it's NOT an HTTP server or an HTML browser. Currently there's no ability to render HTML in the Reader.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #23
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Igor on your SDK(the little example app), did you download the GCC source on the Sony Linux site and just use the same source code to compile for ARM ?

Once I get a development environment up and going, there could very well be a HTML parser soon Many sources of content is in HTML.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard

Actually I didn't try compiling for ARM yet.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #25
anathema
Enthusiast

So since you linked the apps to the library, will that text app actually run on the reader? One would think you would have to set up an ARM compiler toolchain and compile that library with ARM9 (proper chip) as the cpu target before beeing able to use it on device native apps?

I guess I just dont understand what you can do with the little SDK if it is not compiled for ARM to run on the reader. Is there a emulator? Does it run on the reader? I dont understand.

Once me and my friend have a worked development environment we will post a package and instructions so any programmer can get up and running making custom apps for the reader.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 AM   #26
igorsk
Wizard

The API used in Connect software on PC is the same, so you can test your plugins on PC and then port to the Reader.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
anathema
Enthusiast

That is kind of interesting. I installed the reader and tried various conversion tools. I didn't know the preview window was actually an emulator of the reader software.

Thanks Igor. Once I get my reader I will actually try some code. I've got my arm toolchain almost setup here in Ubuntu so will be able to compile stuff for the reader shortly.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Can someone post the LRS documents in a zip file? I've tried getting registered and it's just not working for me.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Can someone post the LRS documents in a zip file? I've tried getting registered and it's just not working for me.

Derek
Did you check your spam filter? I had to pull the email out of gmail's spam filter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Not using GMail for this. Not the spam filter on the machine in question.

Don't know what the problem is.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you check your spam filter? I had to pull the email out of gmail's spam filter.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote