Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #91
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
same O/S here - save to disc works fine when I test 64 bit version - I no longer have the other installed. you are looking for a folder in the target folder, not a single file
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #92
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
What am I doing wrong?

Neither the 32bit nor 64bit will save to disk.

Everything looks fine but no file appears in the target folder.

Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Charlie
Got to be Antivirus or your save location is not in a place that users (or not being owner) are allowed to write.

W7 has a lot tighter security model than XP.

Pro versions (XP,Vista,W7) all have additional Corporate (IT) level controls.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #93
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Where can I download the previous version?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #94
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Since 9.11 x64 version, I have constant crashes and is simply not usable. The x32 works fine.

Running Windows 8 Pro x64, 32GB RAM
My C: drive is a SSD, and all installation and library files are on C:

I have uninstalled, cleaned, rebooted, reinstalled, etc. but the problem remains. Problem seems global, seems to happen any/everywhere. ie I can convert a single book (epub to mobi) just fine in x64, but if select multiple books, it crashes. If I make an adjustment in tweaks, it crashes when I "Apply" it. And other areas as well with no apparent pattern. When I restart x64, those changes I make in prefs are applied, even though it crashed when I made them.

I do see a significant speed increase using x64 and would like to get it stable like x32 is.
I am trying some plugins like Import List, Find Duplicates, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Monty

[edit] I just tried 64bit v9.10 and have the same problems, so was wrong about it just starting with v9.11. At this point I haven't a clue...

Last edited by MontyJ; 01-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The memory could be faulty, or the computer is overclocked? Try to find some diagnostic software that test the memory of your computer. Perhaps it is included in Windows?
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #96
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The memory could be faulty, or the computer is overclocked? Try to find some diagnostic software that test the memory of your computer. Perhaps it is included in Windows?
Adoby - Thanks. After my original post, I decided to go back to my dual-boot Win7 x64 setup (same PC of course, same memory, etc). I had never used the Calibre x64 there. I updated Calibre to v9.13 and then installed x64 v9.13. Everything worked great using x64 in Win7!

While that doesn't 'prove' it is not the memory, it is unlikely to be a memory issue. And yes, I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and no problems were found.

And no, no overclocking setup yet, tho my BIOS supports it and I am itching to play with it, LoL. I had played with it a bit in Win7 using the Gigabyte Easytune setup, but soon thereafter I got Win8 and a new SSD and just haven't had time to play around with it yet.

So it works in Win7 x64 but not Win8 x64, yet the x32 version works in both just fine.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #97
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyJ View Post
Adoby - Thanks. After my original post, I decided to go back to my dual-boot Win7 x64 setup (same PC of course, same memory, etc). I had never used the Calibre x64 there. I updated Calibre to v9.13 and then installed x64 v9.13. Everything worked great using x64 in Win7!

While that doesn't 'prove' it is not the memory, it is unlikely to be a memory issue. And yes, I have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and no problems were found.

And no, no overclocking setup yet, tho my BIOS supports it and I am itching to play with it, LoL. I had played with it a bit in Win7 using the Gigabyte Easytune setup, but soon thereafter I got Win8 and a new SSD and just haven't had time to play around with it yet.

So it works in Win7 x64 but not Win8 x64, yet the x32 version works in both just fine.
Run MEMTEST86+ (an ISO is available to make a bootable CD. Also on UBUNTU Live CD).
It will grind away for Hours per pass, 2 passes usuallYsurfaces problems
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #98
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Run MEMTEST86+ (an ISO is available to make a bootable CD. Also on UBUNTU Live CD).
Ok, thanks. Found the pgm, will give it a go tonight and let the PC run all night.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Where can I download the previous version?
"Calibre Download Page" says

Previous releases of calibre are available here.

Cheers - BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #100
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
I've been using 64bit Calibre for several days now, and so far have had no problems on Win 7 64bit. I'm absolutely delighted with it, in fact, as it has finally allowed me to convert a mobi version of the Complete Works of Dickens to epub. On the 32bit version, on numerous conversion attempts it got to 47% and stayed there - the last time for 3 days! On the 64bit version it took precisely 260 minutes, although I did get a bit worred at the 47% mark as it seemed to stick there for a while.

I am curious about one thing, though. I converted an AZW3 file and it took 7.25 minutes using the 64bit, but only 6.10 using 32bit for the same file. On mobi files it is definitely a lot faster using 64bit. I will have to test out some more AZW3 files to see if it was a one off anomaly.

One extra I would like to see is a slight variation on the desktop icon so that I can tell both versions apart more easily. I've solved it on a temporary basis by finding another icon elsewhere for the 32bit for now as I intend to run both in tandem for a bit longer.

Great work from Kovid and the team.
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #101
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
I've been using 64bit Calibre for several days now, and so far have had no problems on Win 7 64bit. I'm absolutely delighted with it, in fact, as it has finally allowed me to convert a mobi version of the Complete Works of Dickens to epub. On the 32bit version, on numerous conversion attempts it got to 47% and stayed there - the last time for 3 days! On the 64bit version it took precisely 260 minutes, although I did get a bit worred at the 47% mark as it seemed to stick there for a while.

I am curious about one thing, though. I converted an AZW3 file and it took 7.25 minutes using the 64bit, but only 6.10 using 32bit for the same file. On mobi files it is definitely a lot faster using 64bit. I will have to test out some more AZW3 files to see if it was a one off anomaly.

One extra I would like to see is a slight variation on the desktop icon so that I can tell both versions apart more easily. I've solved it on a temporary basis by finding another icon elsewhere for the 32bit for now as I intend to run both in tandem for a bit longer.

Great work from Kovid and the team.
You can always replace your desktop icon with one of you choosing/creation.
Here, have my #2 Calibre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lt-2.png
Views:	722
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	98842  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #102
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
"Calibre Download Page" says

Previous releases of calibre are available here.

Cheers - BR
Thank you!!
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #103
MontyJ
Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Ran memtest overnight (12hrs, 45min!) and it completed 2 passes without any errors.

With both the x64 and x32 versions installed, gave W8 Safe Mode a try:

1. Loading either version gave me an "Adapter Error" This looks like it is looking for a driver for a "transfer device"? Not sure, but since that did not crash the pgm, kept going.

2. Loaded 3 small epub books into Calibre x32. Selected all of them and selected Convert to Mobi. No problems; all converted normally. Closed the x32 version.

3. Loaded the x64 version. Deleted the Mobi conversion files for all 3 original epubs loaded. Selected all 3 epub books and selected convert to mobi. Program crashed, no error messages on screen.

4. Restarted the x64 version. No mobi files were made, so selected one epub book. It converted normally.

5. Selected the other two epubs to convert to mobi and the pgm crashed.

This is the same general type of behavior as in normal W8 mode. Seemed pointless to bang away using other functions if that simple convert multiple books won't work.

I don't see many users of W8 yet using Calibre, so obviously can't compare experiences on any meaningfull level yet, x32 or x64.

What I have experienced so far, based on Safe Mode having the same issues, and memory probably not the problem, I am stuck.

Hopefully as more folks adopt W8, we will be able to see if the issue is limited to my setup, or more spread out across W8 users, especially x64 users. For reference purposes, here are some details on my setup:
-----------------
Windows 8 Professional (x64) (build 9200)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 12/12/2012 4:47:01 PM
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-990FXA-UD3
Enclosure Type: Desktop
3.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 955 (overclocking not activated)
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-990FXA-UD3
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F9b 07/11/2012
32766 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has 8192 MB
Slot 'A1' has 8192 MB
Slot 'A2' has 8192 MB
Slot 'A3' has 8192 MB
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series [Hard drive] (256.05 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S12xxxxxxx (Dual-Boot Win8 x64 installed here)
KINGSTON SH100S3120G [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 500xxxxxxx (Dual-Boot Win7 x64 installed here)

NOTE; Other legacy Sata HD's and Sata DVD burner installed. All use AHCI settings.
------------------------------

Thanks for the pointers!

Monty
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #104
MontyJ
Addict

Apologies; this was a double post; the system login timed out on me!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #105
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Quote:
You can always replace your desktop icon with one of you choosing/creation.
Here, have my #2 Calibre
Nice one!
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote