Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please implement proper quoting

We need to have proper quoting where the quotes get quoted as well. I have had a number of messages where the reply would make more sense if the quotes were also quoted. And I have an issue now where I want the quotes quotes an not just the answers. Please fix this. I know this forum software can do it as other forums running the same software does it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We need to have proper quoting where the quotes get quoted as well. I have had a number of messages where the reply would make more sense if the quotes were also quoted. And I have an issue now where I want the quotes quotes an not just the answers. Please fix this. I know this forum software can do it as other forums running the same software does it.
Jon, this is by design. Quick participants in the forum tend to click the reply button and don't bother with modifying/shortening the quoted text. What happens if you allow for quoting of quotes, and the quotation of thereof, and so on is that you'll end up with gigantic posts of which 95% or more are quotes and only the rest is new text.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
And that new text is usually "I agree".

Still, as much as those people make me want to scream, I do think JS has a legitimate point. It would be handy if there was some way -- taking multiple steps, perhaps, to discourage the idiots -- we could get nested quotes if we really, really had to. It needn't be easy, but being possible without hand-coding would be nice.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
My forum allows 4 quotes maximum, and we still get horrible text blocks from time to time. I think the point of Alex is quite strong. I wish I could put only one quoting level as well...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Jon, this is by design. Quick participants in the forum tend to click the reply button and don't bother with modifying/shortening the quoted text. What happens if you allow for quoting of quotes, and the quotation of thereof, and so on is that you'll end up with gigantic posts of which 95% or more are quotes and only the rest is new text.
Would it be possible then to make proper quoting a toggle that has to be checked before the quote button is pressed making proper quoting off be default with the ability to turn it on on a message by message case.

So that way if full/proper quoting is done, it has to be on purpose and most of the time it's not always needed.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Jon, yes will check on the technical possibility of this. Although we wouldn't be calling it "proper quoting" since I believe the way it works now is also quite "proper".
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Jon, yes will check on the technical possibility of this. Although we wouldn't be calling it "proper quoting" since I believe the way it works now is also quite "proper".
Maybe it should be called "Quoting Destruct" as in destructuring the quote system. That way most people will stay away from it. Only people following this thread will understand its use.

Then again, it might make people think they can somehow destroy a previous message with but a simple click. Hey! That's a fun idea. Can you implement that?
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Shall we call it quote quoting?

I hope it's doable as a lot of replies will make more sense when the quotes are quoted as well as the post.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Any word on when we can expect to have proper quoting?

When you get a message that takes a message and breaks it up and replies and you want to reply to that, if you don't have the original quotes, the replies don't make much sense. So really, this is something we really need.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:

When you get a message that takes a message and breaks it up and replies and you want to reply to that, if you don't have the original quotes, the replies don't make much sense. So really, this is something we really need.
If it doesn't make sense, you can click the little blue box next to the quoted poster's name to get back to the post that was quoted to see if there was something in the original text (like a quote ) that would help it make more sense.

As long as I can get to the original quote, I prefer to not have nested quotes. Especially when the formatting inadvertently gets messed up, it is more likely to make pages unnecessarily long and confusing.

Also, it isn't that difficult to manually put in nested quotes, if you really really want them.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Sakura-Panda - Thanks for pointing out that little blue box. I never noticed it before - which is probably why I'm horrible at some computer games

I'll try using it before I make up my mind on "proper quoting".
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
If it doesn't make sense, you can click the little blue box next to the quoted poster's name to get back to the post that was quoted to see if there was something in the original text (like a quote ) that would help it make more sense.

As long as I can get to the original quote, I prefer to not have nested quotes. Especially when the formatting inadvertently gets messed up, it is more likely to make pages unnecessarily long and confusing.

Also, it isn't that difficult to manually put in nested quotes, if you really really want them.
But it reads a lot nicer when you have quoting of say individual points.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 AM   #13
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Shall we call it quote quoting?

I hope it's doable as a lot of replies will make more sense when the quotes are quoted as well as the post.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Sakura-Panda - Thanks for pointing out that little blue box. I never noticed it before - which is probably why I'm horrible at some computer games

I'll try using it before I make up my mind on "proper quoting".
Quote:
But it reads a lot nicer when you have quoting of say individual points.
One can always try it like this. But if every post looks like this one, at least for me it would be a bit too much, scrolling sometimes 20 already read opinions to get to the final one, the unread.

I still get your point though, quoting quotes can be useful, just like seeing attachments in quotes. Just not as default option.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote