Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
Post Xcode compile errors

Hi there!

I've downloaded the source and went to compile in Xcode and the build fails with 2 errors and 32 warnings.

The errors are:

std::string filename = QString::fromStdWString( file_header->GetFileName().c_str() ).toStdString();

Code:
/Users/edward/sigil/src/Sigil/Importers/ImportOEBPS.cpp:89:0 /Users/edward/sigil/src/Sigil/Importers/ImportOEBPS.cpp:89: error: no matching function for call to 'QString::fromStdWString(const char*)'

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Headers/qstring.h:1067:0 /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Headers/qstring.h:1067: note: candidates are: static QString QString::fromStdWString(const QStdWString&)

If anyone knows what I can do to fix this, I would be most grateful!
Thanks
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
1. What version of Qt are you using?
2. What version of Sigil source are you using?
3. I normally build from Unix Makefiles on Mac, not Xcode. There should be no difference between the two with regard to compilation problems, but there could be some differences in general (paths and the like). Try building from CMake-generated makefiles and see where that gets you.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
1. Qt SDK 4.7
2. I'm using the latest source ( http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jFQQKSPR )
3. I have done that by typing $ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" /Users/edward/sigil
This has gone well, although how can I compile this?
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUTCH View Post
1. Qt SDK 4.7
2. I'm using the latest source ( http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=jFQQKSPR )
3. I have done that by typing $ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" /Users/edward/sigil
This has gone well, although how can I compile this?
To compile the makefiles, just type "make".

The reason that you're seeing the errors is that you're using the latest source along with GCC. Trunk source is routinely compiled only on MSVC on Windows. GCC is much more anal about what it will accept and it usually takes me about several hours before every release just to placate it. Meaning I rewrite working code into something GCC feels is acceptable. Normally I don't have a problem with this, the more anal a compiler is about the code it accepts, the better that code will usually be.

Except when that compiler is Apple's POS GCC 4.2, which IMO is just plain broken. It routinely breaks on code GCC 4.4 eats for breakfast, and there are more than a few workarounds in Sigil around its limitations.

So just use the published source archive. That certainly compiles just fine on Apple's compiler. The repo source probably does not, and won't until Sigil gets closer to release. The code's pretty unstable now, and I'm currently swamped with university work so I'm unable to work on Sigil.

Last edited by Valloric; 10-04-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compile, error, source, xcode