Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
jjjason1
jjjason1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Please help me!!!!

Ok I'm a complete and total noob. I want to buy a Nook when it comes out but there are a few books only available in the Kindle store that I really want for my Nook, I don't own a Kindle only an iPod Touch w/ the Kindle App. I have absolutely no clue how to remove the DRM from a book I download from the Kindle store and convert it into ePub format to put on the Nook. Nor am I familiar with the CMD Terminal I have on Vista, and I have no clue how to locate the books I have downloaded from the Kindle store on my computer (by that I mean the files) which apparently you need to do this. I have read many guides on this and all of them assume you have a Kindle (which I don't) and that's besides the fact the guides look like gibberish. Please can anyone tell me how to do these things in order for me to strip the DRM from the Kindle Books, and convert them to ePub to put on my Nook once I get it?
jjjason1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
The files downloaded from the Kindle Store on my computer are under My Documents -> My Kindle Content. (I downloaded samples) However the actual names of the books aren't listed, just letters and numbers, so other than opening them one by one you can't which is which. This could be because they are all samples.

I have no idea how to strip the DRM from kindle books.

However:
If you can buy the books in secure .lit format (MS Reader) from sites like fictionwise.com, booksonboard.com, and ebooks.com, and if you're currently using Windows there's an easy way to convert them to epub.

This IS legal. http://www.convertlit.com/legal.php MS Reader doesn't allow text to speech so the exception applies. However, it would illegal to distribute them, so this tool can only be legally used for personal use.

1) You need to first download the Microsoft Reader and register your computer.

2) Use ConvertLit GUI to downconvert the DRM lit books. During the conversion process you'll need to open the e-book in the reader to get the key.txt file which needs to be moved to the same file as the ConvertGUI, Program Files-> ConvertGUI in order for the book to be converted.

3) Use Calibre (or some other conversion program) to convert the .lit to epub.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle ebooks are on your Touch. So the first step is to get them on a Windows (Vista) PC, see Can I export kindle books from iphone?, where iPhone Backup Extractor is reported to work. All the ebooks will be in .prc files, but note that some might be TOPAZ ebooks which are locked to the Kindle.

See Visual Kindle Guide for an introduction to the command line and how to install Python. This also used to have entries for kindlepid, for finding your Touch's PID, but these were deleted at Amazon's request. So you need to look elsewhere for this script and how to use it. Once you have your PID, mobidedrm can strip the DRM from AZW (but not TOPAZ) ebooks using that PID.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote