Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question non-DRM ePub onto K

Can someone please tell me how to get non-DRM ePub format onto my Kobo?

The files (books) are sitting on my desktop atm and when I open them, they open automatically in ADE but don't show up in the library anywhere.

I could read them on my lappy, but would prefer to have them on the reader if poss.

Any help much appreciated
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Try using the program called "Calibre". There are lots of bits of information on this site about how it works etc. You can then move files onto your Kobo, manage ebooks on your computer and do a whole lot of very useful stuff. As you are probably not a techie (I presume this is so?) read the http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/, the user manual, or at least the basic parts. I think you will find this is a best software for non DRM ebooks around.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
mamasue
Zealot

thanks for your reply - you are 110% correct!

techie is def not a word you would use to describe me - more like that elephant with the big flying ears when it comes to computer stuff!

will go have a read
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
JackNF
JackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo eReader
Calibre really is a VERY useful program to have if you've got a library of DRM-free books you want to put on your Kobo, particularly if they're in a variety of formats and you want to convert them to Kobo-friendly epub, but short of installing more software there is one very simple option you shouldn't forget. The internal flash memory in the Kobo shows up as a generic 'USB mass storage device' the same way a USB thumbstick does, and you CAN just copy your epubs directly onto it the same way you'd copy anything onto a thumbdrive.
JackNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
mamasue
Zealot

doh! why didn't I think of that!

thank you

I have just watched the video on the Calibre website - wow! such a clever man to develop and write that program. I am in awe.

I'll try the SD first, as I already have soooo much "stuff" on my laptop.

thank you
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I am currently just using ADE to copy all ePubs, DRM or not, to my Kobo. The device should show up along with your "shelves" in the left hand menu.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Calibre is your friend in this regard. It offers full support for both the Ko1 and Ko2 ereaders.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For non-DRM ePubs, you can simply drag and drop onto the KOBOeReader drive and it should find them. Same with non-DRM pdfs.

You can also use Calibre if you so wish as folks above have mentioned.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
mamasue
Zealot

thanks everyone ~ done!