Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #31
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanas View Post
Drugs still cost ridiculous amounts of money, way over reasonable profit. If people can be saved by showing a finger to the greedy corporations, then I say - go for it. Drug companies still will come up with new drugs.
You'd do well to investigate a bit further - the problem is that the "ridiculous amounts" of money have to not only pay for the costs of the single drug they're charged for, but also the costs involved in the development/testing/trials of the 100's that don't end up as being suitable.

While it's not as might be liked, in the real world, if patents, etc, were changed such that the costs were unable to be recouped, then there's no way the "Drug companies still will come up with new drugs", as they're not charities & would immediately stop almost all R&D.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
You'd do well to investigate a bit further - the problem is that the "ridiculous amounts" of money have to not only pay for the costs of the single drug they're charged for, but also the costs involved in the development/testing/trials of the 100's that don't end up as being suitable.

While it's not as might be liked, in the real world, if patents, etc, were changed such that the costs were unable to be recouped, then there's no way the "Drug companies still will come up with new drugs", as they're not charities & would immediately stop almost all R&D.
Precisely. Well said.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #33
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you have have misunderstood me. I said that unless there was a legal system in place to allow drug companies to be reimbursed for their costs, no company would be willing to spend the huge amount of money it takes to create a new drug, and that to manufacture a drug illegally is therefore both morally and legally "wrong".
But, presumably you'd agree, it might not be morally 'wrong' to use that illegally manufactured drug.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #34
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Personally I think there is a difference between a government funded safety net for health and welfare and the idea that the government should provide free access to all books of the world for all of its citizens.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the "right" thing to do is for wealthly countries to buy "legitimate" drugs, and donate them to poor countries, as a part of their foreign aid expenditure. I don't believe it can ever be justifyable for patented drugs to be illegally manufactured without the permission of the patent holder. Those drugs would not have existed in the first place had the drug company not spent the huge sums to create them.
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #36
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe it can ever be justifyable for patented drugs to be illegally manufactured without the permission of the patent holder.
That's where our opinions differ.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
That's where our opinions differ.
That's fine .
Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #38
Fanas
Fanas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post

Yes, I do understand that development costs money. But in most cases prices are too high even considering the big development costs. Why else drug market would be one of the most profitable business.

In any case I am idealistic person and I find the situation of medical care being too expensive for most of the world, if not criminal, then at least highly immoral.

As for intellectual property, while I think that creators must get their share of the pie, I also see that the current copyright laws are insult to the people.
*Fun fact* Whenever I buy empty cd or dvd percent of that sale goes to the anti-piracy organization, no matter what I write in it, I am still considered a criminal.
The problem is all the middle-men, the original creator gets only a fraction of a fraction, while various blood-sucking organizations are profiteering from it.
Fanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #39
Fanas
Fanas began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Personally I think there is a difference between a government funded safety net for health and welfare and the idea that the government should provide free access to all books of the world for all of its citizens.

Cheers,
PKFFW
About books.
The best situation would be this:
1. All books ever released must be converted to electronic format.
2. E-books must be accessible either for free or for a price which would be considered symbolic. Like 1$ per book. Sort of a public library version of e-books.
3. Paper books becomes a luxury, bought partly because of it's content, but mainly because of it's value as a collectible. Bringing some more profit to the author.
Fanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I am completely opposed to #10.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #41
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
I have no way of buying them, unless I want to wait for them to be shipped across the Atlantic and paying extra for shipping which I don't need, I need only book. So I have to steal.
No, you don't "have to steal", you CHOOSE to steal.

So that means you admit to being a pre-meditated thief. You are using these geographic, format, and copyright restrictions to justify your actions, but they don't...you are still a thief. You know you are wrong because you used the word "steal". There is no justification for theft.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #42
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
About books.
The best situation would be this:
1. All books ever released must be converted to electronic format.
2. E-books must be accessible either for free or for a price which would be considered symbolic. Like 1$ per book. Sort of a public library version of e-books.
3. Paper books becomes a luxury, bought partly because of it's content, but mainly because of it's value as a collectible. Bringing some more profit to the author.
The best situation in your opinion.

Really, why should all books be made available for free or for a symbolic price? Someone has gone to the effort of writing that story so why should you not go to the effort of paying a reasonable price for it if you want to read it?

I'm all for libraries and if you want to wait in line until you can borrow a copy that is fine, but the idea that all books must be available for free to everyone is just plain selfish. The work you do you expect to be paid for don't you?

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #43
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So... bill... in effect, you are saying that while you have all the rights in the world, authors have absolutely none besides the right to entertain you for no compensation.

Pass.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post

So that means you admit to being a pre-meditated thief. You are using these geographic, format, and copyright restrictions to justify your actions, but they don't...you are still a thief. You know you are wrong because you used the word "steal". There is no justification for theft.
I don't like pirates much, but name calling is _way_ out of line. Please do not repeat it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #45
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post

You're american right ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote