Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Imatechie2006
Imatechie2006 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't understand meta data "Series"

Hi,

I hope that someone can help. I am trying to setup my Calibre library and I do not understand the "series" options in meta data.

I that that the "Series" was supposed to be the number of books within that series. Then you choose the actual number of the book you are adding.

If that is the case it looks ok in my Calibre library but when I transfer the books to my Sony PRS700. I don't know what the book order is.

It creates the "Collection" name that I create but doesn't show the book order. I have also tried to set the "order" on the reader but that doesn't seem to work either.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does either the reader or Calibre not set the order within a collection...

Thanks,

Ruth
Imatechie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Series is designed to do exactly what you are trying to do. Series is the name of the series. Book identifies where that book appears in the series. So when entering, say, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban into metadata, you might choose Harry Potter for the series, and 3 for the book. In the main Calibre display, you get Harry Potter [3] for this book under series.

If you send the entire series to your reader at the same time, you end up with a collection called Harry Potter with the books organized in series order inside that collection. I believe that if you send them over piecemeal, they still all show up in the right collection, but not in order.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Imatechie2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Series is designed to do exactly what you are trying to do. Series is the name of the series. Book identifies where that book appears in the series. So when entering, say, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban into metadata, you might choose Harry Potter for the series, and 3 for the book. In the main Calibre display, you get Harry Potter [3] for this book under series.

If you send the entire series to your reader at the same time, you end up with a collection called Harry Potter with the books organized in series order inside that collection. I believe that if you send them over piecemeal, they still all show up in the right collection, but not in order.

Thank you, I thought that was what the "TAG" field was used for. :/ I used the tag field for "collection Name", so I assume I don't use that field other wise on the Sony it will be the collection name? I am going to go and test now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A Collection is generated for each tag and also for the series name. It is only the collection named after the series where the series number is used to order the books (assuming they are all sent at once).

Note that if you later add additional books to an existing collection they are tagged on at the end. If you still want them all to be ordered and some inserted in the middle of the previous collection then you need to first delete the existing books from the Sony and then send them all again to get the collection re-ordered.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Imatechie2006

Thanks, I understand now. This is makes it much easier to keep book collection and order straight. I was trying to name the files - 1 -2 before I found out about Calibre!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
chrisborg
chrisborg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
I still put the number in the title field as well. This makes sure you see them in order when you view books by title in the reader.
chrisborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisborg View Post
I still put the number in the title field as well. This makes sure you see them in order when you view books by title in the reader.
Viewing them by title on my reader gave me a mess of 1s followed by a mess of 2s then 3s etc... after a while I gave up on viewing books by title (never comes up any more) and I chose just to use the series. By sorting on the series field in Calibre the series will be in order. Once it is in order send the whole series at once to the reader every book in that series will be in order on the reader under that series.

My fallback though is the fact that (using Calibre) I add a page in the front of each book with the metadata. This page has the series and the number right at the top below the title.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-03-2010 at 03:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote