Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Ritzy
Ritzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please Help ... Formatting/Display Issue when Converting Epub to a "new" Mobi file

Hi,

I needed to do some minor editing to the design of my kindle book, so I opened the epub version in Sigil, made a few adjustments and saved it. Then I uploaded the epub file to Calibre to convert it to a mobi file for Kindle. Although I was able to convert the file to mobi successfully, it did not display properly in kindle. I tried several things, and finally discovered that the only way my book displays properly is if I changed the mobi file output to "new" in Calibre instead of old. (It took me forever to figure out the problem). But now the problem is that when I attempt to upload that file to Amazon, they won't accept it. I get the following error:

"Your ZIP file contains files in the wrong format. Zip files can only contain HTML files and images. Other formats shouldn't be compressed into a ZIP file. Please refer to our formatting guide for more information."

I have no idea what to do. Someone please help.

Thanks guys.
Ritzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is your version of Calibre up to date? If by "new" mobi you mean an AZW3/KF8 file I'm not sure Amazon will take those for KDP. I'd think you need either a regular old Mobi file or the combo file of both old and new formats that Amazon's tools create

Why not convert it using Amazon's own tools (KindleGen/Kindle Previewer) instead?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Ritzy

You know, I just noticed that my Calibre is not up to date. I will update it. I will also try converting it into a combo file to see if that works. I've never used KindleGen and wasn't aware that it did conversions as well.

Thanks so much for the tips. I will give it a go.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Ritzy

KindleGen did the job. Thanks so much.