Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Poor farmers or robots? Vote for your choice.
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov 19 38.00%
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton 31 62.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #106
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Tell me what you think of this one when you're done.
I will. I read it many years ago, but can't remember much about it except that it was interesting and emotionally affecting (of course, in those youthful years everything was emotional. ) Cold Comfort Farm was light and fun.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #107
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I also read Good Earth very recently and really enjoyed it. Of course that book was the principal inspiration for Pearl S Buck being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.
This is what interested me. I was discussing this book with someone quite recently and mentioned that I really wanted to read it. The comment made was that it was very popular in its time because there were not many books written about the Chinese experience.

The cynic in me rose to the surface and I wondered how much the novelty of content affected both its popularity and its esteem at the time.

Now, such content is not particularly novel, so I wondered how people were finding it and if the experience was still rewarding.

Of course, I'll read it anyway as I've already purchased it, but it's nice to get an idea...and dampen my cynicism.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #108
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
This month did have good nominations. My library hold for Cold Comfort Farm should come through soon, I borrowed the audiobook of The Good Earth, and Ethan Frome gave me chills when I read it last week.

ETA: Started listening to The Good Earth this morning, interesting so far.

Last edited by Synamon; 12-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #109
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Just finalised the epub edition of Edith Wharton’s Complete Works! So, if you got addicted to her prose stylings, you can go on reading here.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #110
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The cynic in me rose to the surface and I wondered how much the novelty of content affected both its popularity and its esteem at the time.

Now, such content is not particularly novel, so I wondered how people were finding it and if the experience was still rewarding.
My daughter-in-law recently read The Good Earth and enthusiastically recommended it to my daughter on Thanksgiving. Apparently a younger generation finds it rewarding.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
They were both good selections, and both would make excellent discussions; especially in my mind I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. When Jon comes back, I just may start a non-Book Club discussion on it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #112
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I haven't participated in the book clubs for a while, but thanks to Jon's recommendations I think I'll give Ethan Frome a try. I only need one more book to hit my 75 for the year and I'd like to finish on a classic.
Finished Ethan Frome this evening.

Holy Cr*p, what a depressing story and the ending was unexpected. That said, the writing was wonderful and I guess I have to say I'm not sorry I read it. Actually looking forward to the discussion on this one.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #113
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
There was so much I had forgotten about Ethan Frome, and was glad for the nudge to re-read it. I look forward to the discussion thread too.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #114
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Thanks pynch - excellent timing!
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote