Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
I just did a quick search, the Kobo Terms of Use use the word "buy" quite often, so if they really mean that you're only leasing it, then I'd bet the terms are worthless.
The word "lend" or "lease" never appeared.
Yeah, a lot of the e-book retailers have gotten very comfortable with the terms "Buy" and "Purchase" without really explaining any further what it is that you get.

You don't even get the file, just a semi-perpetual right to read the file (so long as they choose) as many times as you want.

Dollar for dollar, a lease is a crappy deal when compared with actual ownership of the copy of the file. But the digital world is one where copying something is trivial... so the retailers and the publishers crap bricks at the mere thought of jumping into bed with consumers without protection.

Still, other industries have come around... so there is hope.

I would even be happy with a tiered purchasing situation: Lease for $2.99 or $3.99, purchase the copy of the file for $9.99 or $14.99. I would be fine with that.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote