Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
ferretman
ferretman began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Paperwhite vs Latest Kindle Fire HD

Hi

I'm trying to find someone who can compare the the Text size between the Paperwhite and the New Kindle FireHD.

My wife can only read with the paperwhite set at the largest font.

I'm considering getting the latest Kindle Fire HD, the one that has the Blind and visually impaired Features.

Does anyone know if the Largest Text size of the HD is as large or larger than the paperwhite.

Don't want to waste money in buying something she can't use.
ferretman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The Kindle Fire HDX 2013 has the Menu / Settings / Accessibility for the visual and hearing impaired. I am not sure if the Fire HD 2013 has all that. Plus, it has live video help through its Mayday feature.

It enables large fonts for all its system pages. I use that one.

I use size 6 fonts of maximum size 8 on the PW 2013 but a slightly smaller size on the HDX 2013 since it is much clearer in low light conditions than the PW. The maximum size in the HDX 2013 is larger than the size 8 on the PW 2013.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-31-2013 at 02:19 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Fire HD has the same accessibility features as the HDX.

Largest text size appears slightly larger than that in the Paperwhite, and the screen is slightly larger. Plus you can use TTS to read out text (with option for 'professional narration' in many cases). Triple-tap toggles the screen to magnification mode.

You can also choose a larger text size for the UI.

On the other hand Paperwhite is usable in bright light, which also results in sharper vision due to pinhole effect.

So 'both' is best!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How does "professional narration" work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The Fire HD has the same accessibility features as the HDX.

Largest text size appears slightly larger than that in the Paperwhite, and the screen is slightly larger. Plus you can use TTS to read out text (with option for 'professional narration' in many cases). Triple-tap toggles the screen to magnification mode.

You can also choose a larger text size for the UI.

On the other hand Paperwhite is usable in bright light, which also results in sharper vision due to pinhole effect.

So 'both' is best!
I see the TTS with a choice of voices, male and female in many languages on the HDX 2013, but never saw that "professional narration" option. How does the HD 2013 implement that?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I see the TTS with a choice of voices, male and female in many languages on the HDX 2013, but never saw that "professional narration" option. How does the HD 2013 implement that?
It's called Audible. You buy the matching Audible and when you open the book it downloads the Audible. It's a professionally done audio book. Amazon calls it Immersion Reading.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Blossoms correct BUT Not all Audibles work. I purchased 6 eBooks & Matching Audibles from the Same Author & Only 3 match
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Blossoms correct BUT Not all Audibles work. I purchased 6 eBooks & Matching Audibles from the Same Author & Only 3 match
Only certain titles are Whisper Sync For Voice. These are the ones that match.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep.. but wish I had checked Before purchase.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

How much are the Audible versions, in comparison with the eBook versions?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
How much are the Audible versions, in comparison with the eBook versions?
Alot more if you just buy the Audible it ranges from $15-$45+ if you buy the ebook you get a discount if the Audible is compatible.

It's just easier to be a member and use credits for books that aren't cheap. 1 Credit will work on most books. There a few books that are two credits but they are HUGE books.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Buy the Kindle ebook 1st then they will offer the Audio book cheep. With out the ebook being purchased 1st the audio can run pretty high.

IF you already own Amazon ebooks they will match the audibles for the lower price.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Are you sure you have both the Audible version and the ebook version that are wsv matched? I had a few that I purchased before that were not linked to each other. Audible was kind enough to return my version and gave me the credit to repurchase the correct matched version. Other than that I have over 350 wsv matched sets and they all work with each other. I love this feature. Of course I was an Audible member prior to the implementation of this, but I have purchased a lot more sets since its inception.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Yes as they are the Only ones I can buy... I don't read or speak German or Spanish LOL I checked there are now 4 of the 6 wahoooo! So maybe wont be long before they fix the other 2.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

OP ... BTW ONLY the Kindle Tablets do the Imersion Reading.