Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Email from Bookeen

I really like the look of the Opus, so after reading about the freezing issue, decided to poke Bookeen a bit. Please see below for an email exchange with them. Has anyone purchased an Opus direct from Bookeen recently, and if so, have you had any problems?

-----------------------

Hello,

I am researching ebook readers, and I am very interested in your product, the Cybook Opus. From everything I have read so far, it is exactly the ebook reader I want... lightweight, has good onboard memory, reads adobe/adobe digital editions DRM, has slots for additional memory and folders for saving books in subjects. Unfortunately, my research has uncovered what apepars to be a problem with your product. The Opus is reported to have an error that causes it to lock up periodically, which requires a hard reset. This error seems to have been in existance for a while, and you have promised a firmware update to fix it. When is this firmware update going to be supplied? I am under the impression that such an update is very overdue.

I am extremely leery of purchasing an electronic item at a cost of £199 which has such an issue without knowing when it will be fixed. However, if the firmware update is going to be available within a reasonable and guaranteed timeframe, I would love to purchase one of your Cybook Opus ebook readers for Christmas.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Quote:
Please note that the problem you are referring to has indeed been identified and a solution has already been brought to the Opus that are currently sold. This issue should not appear on these devices.

Our technical team is currently working on a new firmware upgrade that will better the Cybook. They are doing all the tests previous to its release. We should then be able to release it by Christmas. We will advise you by email as soon as this upgrade is available.

Best regards,

Bookeen Support Team
And a further email from me:-

Just to clarify, are you saying that the Cybook Opus sold by yourselves at this moment does not have the freezing issue? Or it has the issue but the firmware upgrade to fix it will be out by Christmas?

and Bookeen's answer:-

Quote:
Yes, the Cybook we currently sell do not have the freezing issue. For the Cybook Opus that have been sold before this bug was detected, a solution will be brought thanks to the coming firmware upgrade that will be released before the end of the year.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
that will be released before the end of the year.
Hopefully THAT is right one. Encouraging anyway. And at least someting new.

Wait and see.....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
When they state "end of THE year", you might think that means this year. In Bookeen speak that could mean any year, next year, the one after that, the one after that. It will likely be released on some Monday in some year...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pegster, supposedly Bookeen has fixed some of the problems with the Opus, but do they release the new formware for current customers? NO! The only way to get new firmware with any fixes/enhancements is to buy a new device. Do yourself a favor and star far away from Bookeen. You will thank me for this once you realize support is number 9999 on their list of 10000 things to do. And they are up to 52 as of now.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I don't believe any of Bookeen's promises any more. If the Cybook doesn't work the way it should out of the box, don't count on a fix from Bookeen. And even if that particular problem has been fixed on the Cybooks that are being sold now, there's probably something else wrong with it that will be fixed by an upcoming firmware update that will never materialize.

My advice to anyone considering any of Bookeen's products is to steer clear of them. There are other devices that provide the same, if not better, functionality and that are supported by companies that do not throw around meaningless promises.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Eilishididn't
Keep it simple
Eilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone, Nook, Kindle
I agree, Bookeen stinks. My Cybook Gen 3 bit the dust 10 months into a 2 year 'no questions asked' warranty. Booken has sent me a refurb with shadows and lines, followed by an offer to replace it with an Opus which doesn't support secure Mobi (I bought the Cybook for that).

I've been without an ereader for 2 months now, neither Books on Board (where I bought the Cybook) or Bookeen replies to my emails other than to say check back after the Christmas rush. What I'm actually doing is researching a new reader, and possible ways to get my 600 mobi books on a different reader.
Eilishididn't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I have been waiting for the new firmware to fix my freezing issue for about a year now. 3 out of the 4 emails I've sent them on different topics have gone unanswered.

The bugs that greatly hinder the reading experience and lack of support from Bookeen prevents me from buying or recommending their devices. I will say that I like the hardware itself and would considering buying from other companies that sell branded Netronix devices.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
I really like the look of the Opus, so after reading about the freezing issue, decided to poke Bookeen a bit. Please see below for an email exchange with them. Has anyone purchased an Opus direct from Bookeen recently, and if so, have you had any problems?
Do yourself a favor and stay FAR away from anything Bookeen sells. They're absolute incompetent.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1

Oh come on, be positive people !

By the end of the year (someting presise) is still beter than soon (ie somewhere in the relativly near furut but we don't know when).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-17-2009 at 03:00 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
When they state "end of THE year", you might think that means this year. In Bookeen speak that could mean any year, next year, the one after that, the one after that. It will likely be released on some Monday in some year...
The end if the year (31th of December) isn't a Monday this year. I looked it up: In 2012 the end of the year is a Monday....

(wait a sec: the world will end in 2012 and the last day of 2012 is a Monday. So the world will end on a Monday. I should have known, I always hated Mondays )
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #11
Truttebol
Book worm
Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Truttebol has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Cybook Gen3
I'm sorry Pegster but the only thing I can advise you is to not buy a Bookeen device. There are many other devices that will fill your need so don't take a risk for 199 pounds with an Opus. It's too expensive for what you will be getting.
Bookeen has been promissing updates for months now and it would come "soon" or "in brief delays" or "very soon" but nothing has arrived yet and I for one do not believe them when they say "end of the year".
Truttebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #12
elmargol
Enthusiast
elmargol began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
Sounds to me like the freezing is a hardware issue Any they try to find a software solution to fix it...

Thats the only way it makes sense not to release a fixed firmware if they allready ship new devices not affected.
elmargol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, but how can freezing be a "hardware issue"? It's clearly a software bug. It occurs when you do a page turn.

I would THOROUGHLY recommend the Opus. Excellent device, with perhaps the best ePub implementation currently available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
elmargol
Enthusiast
elmargol began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
If it is not a hardware issue. And they have a fix? Why don't they release a firmware update? Makes no sense. They claim to have SOLVED the problem... just makes no sense
elmargol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's obviously time for a new poll!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65840
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote