Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-28-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Common Errors in English Usage - free webversion

Paul Brians compiled an excellent list of common errors in English usage. His book is available for free from here. There is also a text-only version available here (~360Kb).
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Thanks for this one Doctorow! I admit I'm a bit of a language buff but I think many people would find this interesting. I've converted the text version and I think I'll leave it on my reader so I can enjoy it in short doses. Brians has a fun and witty style as evidenced here:

BREACH/BREECH

Substitute a K for the CH in “breach” to remind you that the word has to do with breakage: you can breach (break through) a dam or breach (violate the terms of) a contract. As a noun, a breach is something broken off or open, as in a breach in a military line during combat.

“Breech” however, refers to rear ends, as in “breeches” (slang spelling “britches” ). Thus “breech cloth,” “breech birth,” or “breech-loading gun.”

“Once more into the breach, dear friends,” means “let’s fill up the gap in the line of battle,” not “let’s reach into our pants again.”
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I also converted it for iSilo. It's such a great resource, I wonder what finally drove him over the edge of "slightly annoyed" to "I'm gonna write an exhaustive website about this."

Thanks again.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote