Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
WillieMcIntyre
Enthusiast
WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Westerns

Back in the early seventies there seemed to be plenty of cowboy books around. I remember a series featuring a hero called 'Edge'. I was but a lad back then but there seemed to lots of these books doing the rounds and, I think, mainly because of the horrifically gory descriptions, were much sought after by me and my prepubescent chums (I was prepubescent too, by the way, not some old guy with a lot of child friends, anyway I digress). Are there any good westerns stories being written nowadays? I'm not a particular fan but really enjoy thought-provoking westerns like Clint Eastwood's 'Unforgiven'. I've read all the Cormac McCarthy books, Blood Meridian is one of my all-time favourites. Is there anything similar out there in ebook form?

Last edited by WillieMcIntyre; 03-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
WillieMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Willie, I don't know much about Westerns, but I learned recently that Dorchester Publishing is doing them in a big way.

http://dorchesterpub.com/store/categ...x?CategoryID=9

In addition, we have quite a few to choose from in the MR library.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Like GA said, there's quite a few of the old Zane Grey books available in the Patricia Clark library here at Mobileread. For something more recent, Amazon offers a lot of Louis L'Amour and Elmore Leonard westerns for about $5 to $6 USD for the Kindle. Hopefully they're available in Scotland. I don't know how thought-provoking they are since I haven't read any of them, but they have a great reputation among western fans.

As far as what's being written nowadays, I couldn't say; I haven't read any westerns in a long time.

I'd recommend "The Ox-Bow Incident" but it's not available as an ebook, as far as I know.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Check out the Desperado series by Clifton Adams. At least two are here in the MR library.

A friend of mine writes Westerns and he says the current market is dead.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Robert B. Parker's books about Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch... the first of which is Appaloosa.

James D. Best's Steve Dancy novels... The Shopkeeper and Leadville.

All newer books--and all are available in ebook form.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Many of Larry McMurtry's novels are available as ebooks, including the Pulitzer Prize winning Lonesome Dove, as well as Telegraph Days, Boone's Lick, Buffalo Girls, Zeke and Ned, Anything for Billy and others.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Was "Hombre" a book originally ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I think it was a book by Elmore Leonard.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
WillieMcIntyre
Enthusiast
WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Thanks and a big yee-haw! to everyone who replied.
WillieMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote