Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
kimill3
kimill3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is Kindle DX worth the price for reading pdfs?

I am tossing up whether to buy the Kindle DX or the latest 3G Kindle.

The Kindle 3G looks great for reading novels but I need to read a lot of pdf files.
I know that reading a pdf on a netbook is annoying because you have to scroll up and down the columns to read a single page and don't want to buy the DX to find that I still have to do the same thing.

So, how do Kindle DX owners find it for reading pdf files? Or should I just go with the convenience of a smaller kindle and leave the pdfs to my PC?

thanks

kim:
help:
kimill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
3G is a great reader - but it's a mobi/azw reader, don't buy it on the idea of reading PDFs, it just isn't a good mix.

The DX is better, though I've heard reports that its PDF reader could really do with some improvements none the less.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Kim.

My SIL has a DX and I've read PDF files on it......it gives amazing results.

You can sometimes find "refurbished" (not to be confused with "used") models for $189 on the amazon page..Same warranty, same 30 day return policy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I've got a DX(white) with me right now. I can tell you it really really better than my 3G for PDFs. But after 20 odd minutes I found out that it's unnaturally heavy - like a slab of solid metal block and gets a little fatiguing (sp?).
But for PDFs yes the large screen alone makes it awesome.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
I have the new DXG and love it. Reads all my pdf's really well. I also have a K3 wifi/3g and although it has a few more pdf reading options, it's still too small to read most of my pdf's comfortably.

I also enjoy the DXG (new pearl screen = MUCH better than the previous dx screen imho) as a general ebook reader. You get so much more on a page (lots less page turns).

I don't find the DXG too heavy myself but maybe older/weaker persons may. Even with an amazon leather cover on it, it's still ~1/2 the weight of an ipad.

My wife only reads novels (no pdf's) and like the smaller K3 best. It's her's now!

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I don't find the DXG too heavy myself but maybe older/weaker persons may.
You just made me feel a LOT older and weaker in one go
Oh, I'm 23
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
kimill3
kimill3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
DX vs Kindle

Thanks everyone for your opinions...

In summary I think that for convenience and portability of reading novels I'll buy the cheapest kindle (as a present to myself) and perhaps wait for the next model of the DX to use exclusively for pdfs (and claim in my tax as a work expense). Maybe they will have made some improvements by next year. I know that the B book lets you annotate and has a lot more features such as a touch screen.

So for the time being I'll keep reading the pdfs on my computer and be patient.

kim
kimill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my DXG and I don't read PDF's, I just like the larger screen. It is heavier then the K3 but the extra weight does not bother me. It also helps that when I am reading my DXG I am normally sitting down or lying in bed so I can lean it against something if I want. I have used it in the metro and been fine with it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote