Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Nook Tablet Pros-Cons

I have been using my Nook Color since it was released a couple of years ago. I have enjoyed it, installing CM7, bringing it back to stock and reading my books. I am not crazy about the app store; I wish there were more apps, specifically some of the ones I use on my Android phone.

Anyway, I am contemplating getting a Nook Tablet and passing my Nook Color to my wife.

However, I haven't seen anything that makes me say there is a substantial functional difference between the NC and the NT.

Am I right or am I missing something?

I guess the result will be a decision whether to just get my wife an NC and keep mine. Or get myself an NT and pass my NC on to her.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Overall function wise they aren't all that different, especially if you're just using it for reading. Performance wise however the Nook Tab is much better, everything runs smoother.

In case you're looking to save a bit...

Overstock has Nook Color refurbs for $115 (1 year warranty)
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...0/product.html

B&N has Nook Tab refurbs on eBay for a good price right now too
http://stores.ebay.com/Barnes-and-No...=p4634.c0.m322
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
lionel47
Addict

Thanks a lot. Maybe I'll get her a refurb. I am also looking at the Nexus 7 but I kinda like the Nook brand.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I really like my Nook Tablet now that I've put CM7 on it. But, if I had to do it over again, I'd be looking at the new Google tablet. I've never used a NC, so can't give you an honest opinion on it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
I've had a rooted NC for over a year now and really enjoyed it. Got a Nexus 7 last week. Wow. Beautiful. Fast. Did I mention it was beautiful and fast?!?! The wife has officially inherited the NC.

You obviously get total access to all apps on the google store and you can install the apk for the amazon store and check out what's there. And you have the latest and greatest jelly bean.

You can't go wrong with this little beast. (It's also very easy to root. I'm about to flash my third different rom and I have a non-stock kernel. I love playing with android devices )
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post
I've had a rooted NC for over a year now and really enjoyed it. Got a Nexus 7 last week. Wow. Beautiful. Fast. Did I mention it was beautiful and fast?!?! The wife has officially inherited the NC.

You obviously get total access to all apps on the google store and you can install the apk for the amazon store and check out what's there. And you have the latest and greatest jelly bean.

You can't go wrong with this little beast. (It's also very easy to root. I'm about to flash my third different rom and I have a non-stock kernel. I love playing with android devices )
So, why the different ROMs and kernels? From all the specs and reviews, I've read, it seems perfectly good out of the box.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
From all the specs and reviews, I've read, it seems perfectly good out of the box.
IMO it's perfectly good for most people stock (it certainly is for me), of course some folks love to tinker and trying different ROMs and things is part of the fun for them.

The screen on the Nexus is absolutely beautiful, even the smallest text is crisp and clear.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
thecdn
thecdn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nexus 7
Quote:
So, why the different ROMs and kernels? From all the specs and reviews, I've read, it seems perfectly good out of the box.
It is perfectly good as is. If I hadn't become a flash junkie from the NC and my LG Esteem I could have used the stock version happily ever after.

But there are some really smart people out there taking the stock system and pushing it a little more. I enjoy seeing what's out there and the fun/challenge of rooting and flashing. At the very least I would root any device I get. So many apps don't work or work better when rooted.

For a 'normal' human being, the N7 is fine out of the box
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I'm anxious to see what comes out this fall. The Nexus in the store didn't seem very responsive to touch. Anyone else notice this? I also would like to side load books if I get one--is this possible?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I'm anxious to see what comes out this fall. The Nexus in the store didn't seem very responsive to touch. Anyone else notice this? I also would like to side load books if I get one--is this possible?
Quite the opposite I find the Nexus to be the most responsive Android device I've tried yet (and I've tried quite a few).

As far as sideloading books, sure. I sideload both ePub's and Mobi's to various Android devices all the time, including the Nexus.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
lionel47
Addict

I may have to just get the Nexus because of all the apps I use on my phone. Would love to use them on my tablet as well.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I may have to just get the Nexus because of all the apps I use on my phone. Would love to use them on my tablet as well.
There are some brick & mortar stores selling the Nexus so you should be able to test drive both that and the Nook before deciding if you want to.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are some brick & mortar stores selling the Nexus so you should be able to test drive both that and the Nook before deciding if you want to.
Went to a Best Buy today to check out the Nexus. They did not have any on hand and said they did not know when they would have them in. I will have to wait. In the meantime, my father-in-law, who went with me, bought a Nook Color because he liked it more than the Kindle Fire he tried out.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
FWIW, BN just reduced the price of their Nooks -- e.g., the NT 16GB is now $199.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
FWIW, BN just reduced the price of their Nooks -- e.g., the NT 16GB is now $199.
Yeah...how about that?

Right now, I am thinking of the Nexus just because of all the Google Play apps I already use on my phone. The more I think about it, the more I am confident that what I want in a tablet is an extension of my phone.