Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm currently reading the US edition and haven't found any editing issues. makes one wonder where that version came from
I'm reading the US version... I haven't found too many issues, but did notice a missing word in one sentence and a some dialog where paragraph breaks didn't happen as they should. I'd say that "Game of Thrones" is far worse for errors than "A Dance with Dragons" is.

Publishers really should clean up their act though. There's not much excuse for this on a brand new book. I can understand a bit more on an old title that's had to be scanned and OCR'd, but even so, at the prices they are putting on newly released ebooks, we deserve a better copy.

Sadly, right now, the best way to get really good proofreading is the "do it yourself" route. And that's only worth it for books that you can't otherwise get in ebook form. And even so, it's easy to miss stuff. Publishers are definitely taking shortcuts on the proofreading end.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The other day I was looking up how much it would be for the Encyclopedia Brown books, and they're all $4.99, except the last two, which are $5.99 and $10.99. For those prices, I am hesitant to buy. They're back log, so they had to be scanned and run through an OCR. I don't want to fork out over $120, to find they're poorly done.

Last edited by Hellmark; 07-21-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Bottom line, they aren't proofreading. They are relying on spelling and grammer checkers.

And sometimes seem to ignore them.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
sorry, just because it is a proofreading thread (stars know I make enough mistakes!), I just gotta do this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The other day I was looking up how much it would be for the Encyclopedia Brown books, and they're all $4.99, except the last two, which are $5.99 and $10.99. For those prices, I am hesitant to buy. They're back log, so they had to be scanned and run through an OCR. I don't want to fork out over $120, to find their poorly done.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #35
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It would be amazingly easy to fix if they hired some high school students for minimum wage to proofread stuff, but that would be too easy of a fix.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #36
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
The best course is to complain - to MR forum (so we know not to buy the book), to Amazon (if they sold a pbook with pages all stuck together and damaged you certainly would), to the publishers and any other forum. Mention the book by name and publisher, make a big noise. The only way to get these lazy publishers to clean up their act is to name and shame.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
But you're reading the US version are you not... and when did you get it? The typo was in the UK version on release...
Yeah, I'm reading the US version - I bought it on 7-12. I knew that the ones with really bad errors were not US, but the 'Te' mistake was only a small error. Though with it being the first word of the book, you would think they would notice that.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #38
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Relevant to this thread, in case folks missed it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143532

lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
sorry, just because it is a proofreading thread (stars know I make enough mistakes!), I just gotta do this...
Jeez, I hate it when people make mistakes like that. Well, serves me right for posting at work. When I talk and type, I mix bits up. I type part of what I mean to say, and say part of what I mean to type. At least this was coherent!
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #40
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
The best course is to complain - to MR forum (so we know not to buy the book), to Amazon (if they sold a pbook with pages all stuck together and damaged you certainly would), to the publishers and any other forum. Mention the book by name and publisher, make a big noise. The only way to get these lazy publishers to clean up their act is to name and shame.
Yes! Yes!
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #41
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
It would be amazingly easy to fix if they hired some high school students for minimum wage to proofread stuff, but that would be too easy of a fix.
Maybe 30 - 40 years ago that would have worked.

Now most high school students can't read.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Ain't that the sad truth... Why should they since FB is all they seemingly know and care about...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #43
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
It's difficult not to be cynical about editing (or lack thereof) errors. Since publishers are facing immense decreases in their physical publishing products (i.e. pBooks), they are looking to retain their profits by maintaining the same high prices on eBooks, which cost much less to produce (no paper, printing presses, bindings, transportation, shelf-space, etc.) and add to those profits by firing proofreaders.

On an off-topic observation/opinion, I think much of the unemployment we are seeing in the U.S. and abroad is due to the continued increase in such automation, mechanization and computerization of tasks formerly performed by conscientious workers. But I digress ...
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #44
scubayak
scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Nook Color
For anyone who may be interested, I have a post on my blog (link below) that is relevant to this thread. Any comments would be appreciated.
scubayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I find most annoying is when the eBook has errors in it that the pBook does not. There is not excuse for that to happen with newly released books. What it means is that the process of going from the author's document to the finished product is botched bit time and really, if the people doing the botching cannot do the job correctly, they should be fired.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
formatting, typos