Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Internet connectivity

I never thought I would consider buying a Kindle, but somehow now I'm salivating for a K3. Don't know if I'll get one, though... I usually ponder my purchases very carefully... Anyway! What I want to ask is this: what are the possibilities with 3G? I think I'd rather buy the non 3G version, since I've read quite a few posts saying that people have whispernet off most of the time... why is that?
Besides buying books through Amazon, what other things can you do with whispernet? And in more general terms, what do you do with internet connectivity? Can you, for example, download books from archive.org without a computer? What about instapaper.com?
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
we keep whispernet turned off because it is a drain on the battery when turned on all the time. We turn it on when we are buying books and/or expecting a software update
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi

My battery indicator drops like a rock when I turn on the antenna. I don't know about archive.org or instapaper.com; never tried 'em. I'm assuming that whatever you can do with 3G you can do with WiFi instead.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
With the promised increase in the K3's battery life, and the new web browser, it's unknown if its behavior with either 3G or Wifi turned on will differ from current experiences with the KDXG or K2 - now having 3G on is a huge battery drain.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Amazon states that for the Kindle Wi-Fi the battery will last three weeks with Whispernet on whereas the 3G model will last only 10 days with Whispernet on (includes both Wi-Fi and 3G). They both last up to a month with Whispernet off.

3G takes significantly more power than Wi-Fi which results slightly less than half the battery life. It's too bad that there isn't a way to turn off 3G while leaving Wi-Fi on.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF;
Amazon states that for the Kindle Wi-Fi the battery will last three weeks with Whispernet on whereas the 3G model will last only 10 days with Whispernet on (includes both Wi-Fi and 3G). They both last up to a month with Whispernet off.

3G takes significantly more power than Wi-Fi which results slightly less than half the battery life. It's too bad that there isn't a way to turn off 3G while leaving Wi-Fi on.
Good point
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
You can use the internet connectivity to download books directly to the kindle from websites such as archive.org, feedbooks.com, and, of course, mobileread. You can also use it to check email, twitter, facebook, to access google maps, send text messages, and read blogs and forums.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
From the Kindle 3 manual:
Your Kindle automatically turns 3G coverage off when you connect using Wi-Fi. If you disconnect from a Wi-Fi network or if you move out of Wi-Fi range, Kindle automatically switches back to 3G coverage.
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
You can also use it to check email, twitter, facebook, to access google maps, send text messages, and read blogs and forums.
You can do, but it's a bit of a painful experience. Text only web sites work reasonably well, but anything more complex really doesn't work. It's extremely slow, too. Perhaps the new browser in the K3 will perform better.

I honestly couldn't recommend buying a Kindle on the basis of it giving you "free" internet connectivity; I think you'd be disappointed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by norti View Post
From the Kindle 3 manual:
Your Kindle automatically turns 3G coverage off when you connect using Wi-Fi. If you disconnect from a Wi-Fi network or if you move out of Wi-Fi range, Kindle automatically switches back to 3G coverage.
Thanks for posting that! I have read this section of the new manual several times but I guess I just didn't retain the fact that 3G is actually turned off when using Wi-Fi. I thought that it just used the Wi-Fi connection instead of 3G. I guess I was focused on the part in the manual that says when you turn Whispernet off your are turning off both Wi-Fi and 3G and there didn't appear to be any way to turn off just 3G.

If 3G actually does get turned off if the K3 is connected to a Wi-Fi network that might mean that if I left Whispernet on and my K3 was connected to my home wireless network the entire time that the battery should last up to three weeks just like the Wi-Fi model.

The reduced battery life for the 3G+Wi-Fi must be due to the fact that if you aren't actually connected to a Wi-Fi network the 3G is still on and using more battery power.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote