Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In my book, Echo and all other similar devices/gadgets (Siri, Cortana...) fall into the category of gadgets that do things you should be doing (should be able to do) yourself.
How do you stream music from the cloud without a gadget?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
It can prevent my wife from having to crawl into her wheelchair and wheel herself across the room to turn off the light, only to wheel herself back and crawl back into the bed.

Granted, my use case might be different than yours, but for Susie it's a Godsend!
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YouTube can he helpful there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JpcBF_zBY

But of course, there is the always effective four step process:

1- Run
2- As long as at least one of your companions lags you, keep running.
3- When the last lagging companion starts to pass you, trip him.
4- Don't look back.

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #49
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
FWIW, I can look up stuff in an encyclopedia but my smartphone is so much easier and recommended a fabulous Chinese restaurant on Christmas day. We had gone to see my mother.

I can read a map but Garmin is so much easier.

I can do math in my head but for a string of numbers give me a calculator or spreadsheet.

And not to mention a gadget is the only way to post here.

We will not discuss all the kitchen gadgets that make life easier.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How do you stream music from the cloud without a gadget?
I don't. Why should I either put my own music in the cloud, or rely on someone else's cloud to listen to music, if I have everything right here?

New Age Hipster: "Data plans must change! Too expensive, too limited! How can I stream music to my phone when I've only got 2GB of data?!"
Practical Me: *Rockin' a 128 GB FLAC player (can be extended to 256 GB with a second SD-card), listening music for 16 hours straight before the battery's dead *

It's the same with computer games and/or consoles. I'm often derided when I tell people that I refuse to buy games that are not on GOG.com, or require online activation when bought on CD-ROM. Until...

Them: "My internet is down. I can't play! The game won't activate!"
Me: * Gaming until my eyes are square *

Cloud, schmoud. It's just an old concept in hipster clothing: all the computing power and storage under control of some big companies, with people using those services with low power hardware. You know when that kind of computing was the norm? Between 1965 and 1980. Now I live in 2016, and I have the money and capability to have everything under my own control. I'm not going back to 1970, depending on the whims of some big company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
FWIW, I can look up stuff in an encyclopedia but my smartphone is so much easier and recommended a fabulous Chinese restaurant on Christmas day. We had gone to see my mother.

I can read a map but Garmin is so much easier.

I can do math in my head but for a string of numbers give me a calculator or spreadsheet.

And not to mention a gadget is the only way to post here.

We will not discuss all the kitchen gadgets that make life easier.
True, but you *can* do without them if you need to. There are many people for whom "easy" is so important that they stop thinking for themselves. If I look around during my commute to work every morning, do you know what I see?

People who's field of view of the world is very small. It's between 4,5 and 6 inch. Their entire life seems to be in that one gadget they're holding.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-29-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #51
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Maybe people want to spend their time thinking about more important/interesting things than to calculate numbers in their heads, carry a map and planning and memorizing a route etc.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #52
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
---
There are many people for whom "easy" is so important that they stop thinking for themselves. If I look around during my commute to work every morning, do you know what I see?

People who's field of view of the world is very small. It's between 4,5 and 6 inch. Their entire life seems to be in that one gadget they're holding.
I wouldn't assume gadgets are their entire life. I would assume it is people taking advantage of the time.
What would you think of a person doing needlework or reading a book on the commute?
Same exact idea just a different use of the time.
Just out of curiosity, other than people watch, how do you occupy yourself on the commute?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #53
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I wouldn't assume gadgets are their entire life. I would assume it is people taking advantage of the time.
What would you think of a person doing needlework or reading a book on the commute?
It would be a useful activity. Tapping sentences into a phone one after another (what I see most younger people doing) is not. If there is something you'd need to discuss you could just call and be done with it MUCH faster.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, other than people watch, how do you occupy yourself on the commute?
If the commute is long enough (at least 20 minutes or so), I read a book or listen to music. The chance of me answering my phone in any way in public transport is very low, except if you're one of the people who has a ringtone assigned instead of a vibration alert.

The chance of me engaging in a Whatsapp conversation longer than two or three sentences is about the same as hell freezing over.

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-29-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #54
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
It would be a useful activity. Tapping sentences into a phone one after another (what I see most younger people doing) is not. If there is something you'd need to discuss you could just call and be done with it MUCH faster.
My experience with heavy texters is that they don't answer their phones. You need to text them and set up an appointment for a phone call.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

I'm a digital monkey and I want a voice activated world
Old 05-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
YouTube can he helpful there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JpcBF_zBY

But of course, there is the always effective four step process:

1- Run
2- As long as at least one of your companions lags you, keep running.
3- When the last lagging companion starts to pass you, trip him.
4- Don't look back.

Yep, the smart outdoorsman always brings along companions he can out run

Tripping -- a survival skill well worth the time to practice doing

Companions - gotta love 'em

Old 05-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #57
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

If the commute is long enough (at least 20 minutes or so), I read a book or listen to music. The chance of me answering my phone in any way in public transport is very low, except if you're one of the people who has a ringtone assigned instead of a vibration alert.

The chance of me engaging in a Whatsapp conversation longer than two or three sentences is about the same as hell freezing over.
I personally find it much easier to text my oldest daughter. Usually need quick information which is more easily texted.
Example: baby name, her address, assorted phone numbers or in one case she sent me a baby pic. The baby will arrive in September.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:25 PM   #58
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Most people don't just comunicate if tgere is a need to discuss. And maybe, just maybe they are even tapping sentence after sentence into the phone and this sentences appear here on mobile read.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #59
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Most people don't just comunicate if tgere is a need to discuss. And maybe, just maybe they are even tapping sentence after sentence into the phone and this sentences appear here on mobile read.
Some might even be writing/editing their sociology paper (or novel) about the lives and habits of commuters in stinky overcrowded cities.

(SOFTMAKER OFFICE is good for that. And it has a free version.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #60
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
My 71yr old mother got lost and confused driving home at night recently. Not "alzheimer" confused. But "missed my turn, it's dark, and there's lots of construction making the familiar, unfamiliar".

She had a mobile phone to call and let us know she was scared and worried...but not a smartphone that could have told her where she was and routed her home. A paper map would not have helped given she didn't know where she was.

Yes...when the nukes go off and fry our tech toys....I pray to be at ground zero. Have no desire to live without my tech.

And yes...there are always stupid people. They existed before tech too. Some of them write posts
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote