Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #961
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I agree that this is not something that I would need personally, but there are those who want to read on several devices and have the books they are reading, in "sync", this would be one way to do that.

I am a little surprised that the line 61 change would be all that is needed, but I guess once you have a variable defining the location ...

Perhaps it would be of more use if/when a Koreader Android App is available.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 AM   #962
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I agree .., but there are those who want to read on several devices and have the books they are reading, in "sync", this would be one way to do that.
Yep. Might be worth exploring.
Fastest way for now to do that is install koreader on your SDCard instead of onboard. Just copy the koreader folder to wherever and point /mnt/onboard/.kobo/fmon/koreader.sh to there.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #963
gong
Enthusiast
gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Mini (f/w 3.4.1) + Aura (f/w 3.12.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Chrox answered this here.
Thanks for the link, so there's no way not to dim the overlap huh... It's suggested to use scroll mode instead but IMO it's not really usable with such a device as my mini... It's way too unresponsive, that's why I think page mode is better (just one touch is easier than a scrolling tentative). Anyway, great piece of software
gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #964
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but I didn't find anything that told me why would I use Koreader on my Kobo Aura? Does it render some pdfs better than the built-in reader? Or it has more features?

I do have a few pdfs that I can't read on my kobo because they aren't rendered right.
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #965
pusher
pusher began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantoie View Post
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but I didn't find anything that told me why would I use Koreader on my Kobo Aura? Does it render some pdfs better than the built-in reader? Or it has more features?

I do have a few pdfs that I can't read on my kobo because they aren't rendered right.
Koreader handles pdfs way better than the built-in one. The best feature is that it can do text reflow. Try it and see. Very nice app.
pusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #966
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Great, thanks. I've been really annoyed that I have not been able to read this one particular PDF, so I'll try KOReader!
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 AM   #967
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post
Thanks for the link, so there's no way not to dim the overlap huh... It's suggested to use scroll mode instead but IMO it's not really usable with such a device as my mini... It's way too unresponsive, that's why I think page mode is better (just one touch is easier than a scrolling tentative). Anyway, great piece of software
In defaults.lua there are the following lines:
Code:
-- show dimmed area to indicate page overlap in "page" view mode,
-- default to false
DSHOWOVERLAP = false
The downloaded default setting is false. So you must have tweaked it to true to ever get bothered by it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #968
gong
Enthusiast
gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gong has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Oh well, I suppose I am mistaken on the meaning of the overlap option. Sorry for mixing things up.

I thought its purpose was to draw the next screen including a part of the previous screen. However, when I try turning it on and off koreader seem to always draw a small part of the previous screen either dimmed (overlap on) or not (overlap off). Am I wrong so far?

Let's suppose I got it right, so now what I want to achieve is changing the size of the previous screen area that koreader would include in the next screen.

The attached pics shows what I mean: let's say koreader shows screen 1 (first pic) and then screen 2 (second pic). One can see on upper screen 2 a small part of bottom screen 1, but I would like screen 2 showing something more what the third pic shows... Ahh... Hope I'm clear enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ex01.png
Views:	267
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	117922   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex02.png
Views:	270
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	117923   Click image for larger version

Name:	ex03.png
Views:	333
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	117924  

Last edited by gong; 01-13-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #969
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Am I wrong so far?
...what I want to achieve is changing the size of the previous screen area that koreader would include in the next screen.
No you seem to be right.

What koreader does is show one page. Usually my pages can be displayed within two screens. So the first screen is top to break. The second is to the bottom. The overlap is just the amount of space that is left on the screen above the break.

So there is no tunable variable for overlap.

What you want is page mode in half page increments, right? Doesn't that happen when you swipe horizontally in scroll mode? Or are those full page increments?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #970
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 KPW PB840
Quote:
Oh well, I suppose I am mistaken on the meaning of the overlap option. Sorry for mixing things up.

I thought its purpose was to draw the next screen including a part of the previous screen. However, when I try turning it on and off koreader seem to always draw a small part of the previous screen either dimmed (overlap on) or not (overlap off). Am I wrong so far?

Let's suppose I got it right, so now what I want to achieve is changing the size of the previous screen area that koreader would include in the next screen.

The attached pics shows what I mean: let's say koreader shows screen 1 (first pic) and then screen 2 (second pic). One can see on upper screen 2 a small part of bottom screen 1, but I would like screen 2 showing something more what the third pic shows... Ahh... Hope I'm clear enough
Try changing this line:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...paging.lua#L20

into
Code:
overlap = Screen:scaleByDPI(50)
or more.
chrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #971
Fabry
Enthusiast
Fabry doesn't litterFabry doesn't litter

Device: AuraHD
Stand-by mode isn't working yet ?

I have tried the last version and the result is the same as like October versions.
Aka it is not working (after 2 secs stand-by text disappears and touch is still operative).

I use Aura HD with fw 3.1.1.

PS
Sorry I haven't read yet the last two months posts, so I don't know if I am asking something already asked many times and with a known reply.

Last edited by Fabry; 01-15-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Fabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #972
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I use these changes to ".\.kobo\koreader\frontend\ui\uimanager.lua":

Line 297: timeout = 0

Line 300: self:scheduleIn(2, function() Device:Suspend() end)

On my Aura HD with fw 3.1.1. It works most of the time but sometimes you may need to go back to Nickel and relaunch Koreader. Not sure what is causing that, but it is rare enough that I haven't paid it much attention. Everything, but the suspend, still works if you don't bother to restart koreader, so it is not something you will notice unless the slide switch doesn't suspend, like it usually does.

What this suspend gets me is a frozen screen with no message box, that I can clean or pocket without worrying about the touchscreen.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-15-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #973
gong
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
What you want is page mode in half page increments, right? Doesn't that happen when you swipe horizontally in scroll mode? Or are those full page increments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrox View Post
Try changing this line:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...paging.lua#L20

into
Code:
overlap = Screen:scaleByDPI(50)
or more.
Following chrox's advice, it now behaves close to the way I want (just had to set it to 180~200), thanks a lot!

Well, it would be even greater to make it tunable, or disengageable, directly through koreader's UI (I'm demanding huh ). What do you think? Is it possible?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #974
michald
michald began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
I provided more nice way to exit launcher:

echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO

Please try.
For some reason this does not work on my reader.
The script writing it hangs on the fifo write, and kobo launcher is frozen.
I am running on of the latest pbchess versions (.26.31).

EDIT: Exiting via writing exit to the fifo now works with .26.32. Thanks!

Last edited by michald; 01-16-2014 at 11:22 AM.
michald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 AM   #975
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo aura hd, kobo mini, Sony prs-t3
Language settings

Hi,

Registering this issue:

Even if I set language from menu I am not experiencing changes (remains in english) after restarting koreader. I tried to exit koreader and restart device but nope.

I don't know if there is a language setting file that can be edited to avoid this issue.

Thx
xping is offline   Reply With Quote