Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Question Need help

I am looking to buy a new ereader, but before that i thought i'd ask everyone what format support i should be looking for. I don't want any formats like Mobi that are owned by a single company (Amazon) which could potentially be gone in the future (as unlikely as that is in Amazon's case). Also, i'd prefer one that devices i buy in the future might support. If i buy all my books from Amazon and decide 2 years down the line i want a nook or something i will be screwed. I know you can convert books to different formats using Calibre, but i've had some books get messed up after a format change, so i'd rather not.

I only know about Mobi so far. How is ePub? Is it owned by anyone in particular? What formats should i keep an eye out for? When i buy my ereader i will be looking for one without much of an ecosystem or an open one, because i will be using DRM free books, whether i buy them that way or i make them that way myself. So which formats are usually sold by DRM free stores?

Sorry if this is a weird question, or if it's in the wrong place. I couldn't see a better place to ask it. And as always, any help is greatly appreciated .
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
ePub is an open standard. It isn't owned by any company. There are varying forms of DRM for ePub, with three main ones. Adobe's ADEPT, which is what you'll find at almost every place that sells DRM'ed ePubs. Next up is B&N's DRM used on the nook. Newer versions of ADEPT's SDK does support B&N's DRM, but, some device manufacturers use older versions, so your milage may vary. Finally, is Apple's iBooks. iBooks can only be bought via iTunes on your computer, or via the iBooks app on an iOS device (iPod Touch, iPad, and iPhone), and only be read on an iOS device.

So, DRM free ePub is an open standard, but 3 main forms of DRM are used with ePub. One is extremely widespread, one is only from one source but can be used on some other devices, and one extremely limited one. Basically, can't really go wrong by going ePub.

Personally, I would recommend Sony or nook, for readers.

nook is from Barnes and Noble, so supports their proprietary DRM, as well as the Adobe DRM. On a stock nook Simple Touch, nook Color, or nook Tablet, there is a limit on how much you can "Sideload". Sideloading is when you transfer a book from your computer, rather than downloading directly from the built in store on the device. For the built in storage, you can only sideload 256mb on the Simple Touch (of the 2 gigs storage), and 1gig on the Color or Tablet (of the available 8 or 16 gigs). That is still a lot of space, but that limit can be changed if you root the tablet.

I personally have an older Sony PRS-505, and my wife has a PRS-300. Both have long since discontinued, but are still really good readers. The newer PRS-T2 looks like a really great tablet, and I am tempted to get one. No restriction on sideloading like the nook has (all internal memory available can be filled with sideloaded books).

Both Sony and B&N now use Android as a basis for their readers. You can root them and install other software if you want. Kind of funny seeing Angry Birds being played on an eInk ebook reader.

PS, I know that I did not capitalize the "n" in nook. Blame B&N, they purposely stylized it that way.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
How's the new Kobo Glo? I just started comparing that and the B & N Glowlight.
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not had much experience with the current gen Kobos. I know the older hardware (first and second gens) could be pretty buggy, not sure if they got the kinks out. Hopefully a Glo owner comes along to comment.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I've had a kobo glo for the last month, been using it as my main reader since I got it (Only found one bug which has since been fixed with a firmware update).
I like it, already passed my Sony 650 on to a family member.

Only things I'm not keen on
No folder support (Seems to be standard nowadays), although the search is streets ahead of the kindle so finding a book isn't too hard.
No Power meter when reading.

All in all though it's a good reader, the light comes in handy and there are enough font/layout settings to make things look how you want.

Putting books on it is as easy as buying them from kobo (On the device or elsewhere) and synching the library or just sticking in a micro sd card with a bunch of books on it in the slot.

Now if they would only release a cover in the UK things would be sorted.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.mobi is used by lots of companies, not just Amazon.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
nook is from Barnes and Noble, so supports their proprietary DRM, as well as the Adobe DRM. On a stock nook Simple Touch, nook Color, or nook Tablet, there is a limit on how much you can "Sideload". Sideloading is when you transfer a book from your computer, rather than downloading directly from the built in store on the device. For the built in storage, you can only sideload 256mb on the Simple Touch (of the 2 gigs storage), and 1gig on the Color or Tablet (of the available 8 or 16 gigs). That is still a lot of space, but that limit can be changed if you root the tablet.
All Nook devices you mention have an micro SD-card slot to add memory for sideloaded content. For $5 you can already buy an 8 GB card.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
.mobi is used by lots of companies, not just Amazon.
Could you give me some examples of companies that distribute books in European languages other than English in .mobi-format?
(Honestly, I would be interested to know.)
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about languages other than English. I only read books in English.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
Could you give me some examples of companies that distribute books in European languages other than English in .mobi-format?
(Honestly, I would be interested to know.)
Amazon killed the Mobipocket format here in Europe, by not allowing Mobi-DRM on an ereader also supporting another DRM (like ePub). Because of this manufacturers all chose to support ePub instead of Mobipocket DRM.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Not just in Europe. Having Mobipocket DRM on an ereader that supports other DRM is forbidden here in the US, too. I don't think that is the reason manufacturers went to ePub, though.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
All Nook devices you mention have an micro SD-card slot to add memory for sideloaded content. For $5 you can already buy an 8 GB card.
I know they have sd slots, but i was under the impression sideloaded books were still restricted to the normal non-b&n area.