Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
ijoecoles
ijoecoles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
Need SSH help

Hi,

I have usbnetwork installed and turned it on via launcher. I found out my Kindle's IP address using the ;711 search bar command. I have WiFi on, and when I try to SSH into my jailbroken Kindle Touch (5.1.0), it does not work.

I set my password using ;un password mypassword here. and I log in using root and my password.

What am I missing? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
ijoecoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoecoles View Post
Hi,

I have usbnetwork installed and turned it on via launcher. I found out my Kindle's IP address using the ;711 search bar command. I have WiFi on, and when I try to SSH into my jailbroken Kindle Touch (5.1.0), it does not work.

I set my password using ;un password mypassword here. and I log in using root and my password.

What am I missing? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Are you trying to SSH into your Kindle over USBnet or over Wifi?
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
ijoecoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Are you trying to SSH into your Kindle over USBnet or over Wifi?
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/how-to-ask-good-questions/
Sorry, over usbnet. I would also be interested on how to do it over WiFi though.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Sorry, over usbnet. I would also be interested on how to do it over WiFi though.

Thanks
Did you look in the wiki?

Like here, for USBnet: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking

Or here, for SSH over wifi: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...cess_over_Wifi

The kindle touch hacking wiki is listed in the master index, under tools, and under K5. The touch is a K5 because it runs firmware 5.x...

For SSH, on windows, you can use PuTTY and WinSCP. On linux, just use "ssh root@192.168.15.244". Be sure to set you USB network on the host PC (RNDIS device) to be on the same subnet (I suggest 192.168.15.201, for compatibility with diags).

There are also many posts in the forum giving details of USB networking and SSH, as it evolved over time.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks
SSH into the Kindle over USBnet from what sort of machine, using what software?

Any other details of circumstances that may apply (see: Section 2 of the above linked reference).
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
and as for usbnet: the IP shown on the ;711 page is not the IP for the usb network interface, I think. We've been through this issue in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176344
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
ijoecoles

Quote:
SSH into the Kindle over USBnet from what sort of machine, using what software?

Any other details of circumstances that may apply (see: Section 2 of the above linked reference).
A Mac using Cyberduck to SSH. When I log in using the IP of the Kindle (The default IP that I got when I read the wiki)

It says "I/O Error: Connection failed. The kexTimeout (30000 ms) expired."
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
ijoecoles

Quote:
A Mac using Cyberduck to SSH. When I log in using the IP of the Kindle (The default IP that I got when I read the wiki)

So I guess what I am asking is why doesn't the ;un password <password here> in search bar work. I know how to SSH, is there a default password like on iOS rooting?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Mac(OSx) should 'just recognize' that USBnet connection.
Did it?
What device name did it give it?
Did it assign an IP address to the Mac(OSx) end of the connection?
Did it bring the connection up?
Did it establish a route in the routing table for it?

And answers to any other "networking" type of questions that you can think of (or google up) . . . .

= = = =

And if all of the above has you lost ....
Have you tried to find the Kindle with nmap?
If yes - did nmap find it?
If no - try to find it with nmap.

Ref:
http://nmap.org/book/inst-macosx.html

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
And the Mac side of the USB network connection is set up to an IP address from the kindle's subnet, right? Can you ping the Kindle?

edit: knc1 beat me to it. but making sure you can ping it would be good, I think. Just to make sure that the network interfaces are set up correctly.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
ijoecoles

Quote:
Mac(OSx) should 'just recognize' that USBnet connection.
Did it?
What device name did it give it?
Did it assign an IP address to the Mac(OSx) end of the connection?
Did it bring the connection up?
Did it establish a route in the routing table for it?

And answers to any other "networking" type of questions that you can think of (or google up) . . . .

= = = =

And if all of the above has you lost ....
Have you tried to find the Kindle with nmap?
If yes - did nmap find it?
If no - try to find it with nmap.

Ref:
http://nmap.org/book/inst-macosx.html
Pinged it in Network Utility. Results:
Quote:
Ping has started ...

PING 192.168.15.244 (192.168.15.244): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.15.244 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
Network Settings:

Quote:
A new network interface has been detected:

Ethernet Adaptor (en1)

Please verify that it is configured correctly, then press Apply to activate it.
Can't install nmap because it runs on Intel computers, mine is a PPC.

What should I do now?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
edit: knc1 beat me to it. but making sure you can ping it would be good, I think. Just to make sure that the network interfaces are set up correctly.
From what I can find on the Information Super Highway, CyberDuck doesn't do SSH (although it does sftp).

This person needs to go back to the command line and try SSH.
OpenSSH (bsdSSH) is part of the MacOSx install from the factory.

Meanwhile, If we can ever pull a question out of this thread with enough specifics to give a specific answer....
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Pinged it in Network Utility. Results:

Network Settings:

What should I do now?

Thanks for all your help!
Then this is not MacOSx? Is it Mac OS-9 or earlier?

When the message said "confirm configuration is correct" -
what did you find, what did you do, what where the results?

When the message said "press Apply to activate it" -
Did you? What was the results?

Two hours, twelve posts, the time of at least three developers -
Still trying to get the details required to give you a good answer.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Have you ever heard of Google?
Or maybe Google doesn't run on Power PC?

https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Mac_OSX_PPC
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Hmm... I have nmap in my kindle. I did not know the kindle has Intel Inside... Can I run Windows7 in my kindle?

Of course, if my kindle had PPC inside, I would just run the PPC port of nmap instead.

Seriously now, you can get a PPC version of nmap here (along with other architectures): http://pkgs.repoforge.org/nmap/ That was just to prove that PPC versions exist. Realistically, you are MUCH better using crosstools to build it from source (like most linux apps) using the "./configure; make" approach (or a native build on the target platform). There would doubtedly be a learning curve, but the point is that it is not only for intel...

You can convert the .rpm to a .deb with alien (which I also had installed in my kindle).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote