Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Excellent! The site apktop.com is fantastic! I searched and found the latest version of Astro, downloaded it directly on the Vox, and it installed perfectly ...
I will second that. I was not able to get this from appbrain because appbrain redirects to the Android market ... which I can't get to.

Nice app, too!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Me too
I've downloaded astro and it's smb module. They don't seem to work for me, so i use es explorer.
I've downloaded Astro from the apktop.com site but can't find the SMB module on the site. So I'll try ES File Explorer.
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
After a few self induced problems ES Explorer is happily poking about on my Windows Network shares.

My self induced problems on the one PC was that while I had setup a special account for sharing folders/drives I'd forgotten to give that account permissions on the drives/folders in question.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Would Astro File Manager allow me to organize and display my books by genre, author, etc. since the Vox doesn't provide for this? Or is it mainly for apps?

Last edited by moolyn; 10-31-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
Would Astro File Manager allow me to organize and display my books by genre, author, etc. since the Vox doesn't provide for this? Or is it mainly for apps?

No, you need reader software for that. Either Aldiko or FBReaderJ should do this. Aldiko is a bit more sophisticated looking and most people like it more; I prefer FBReaderJ. Either are easy to sideload. Aldiko downloads very nicely from Calibre, though if you set both readers to look in the same directories, you can use Aldiko to copy books and FBreader to read them. Aldiko is less happy if you use a usb cable to copy books over than FBreader is.
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeather View Post

No, you need reader software for that. Either Aldiko or FBReaderJ should do this. Aldiko is a bit more sophisticated looking and most people like it more; I prefer FBReaderJ. Either are easy to sideload. Aldiko downloads very nicely from Calibre, though if you set both readers to look in the same directories, you can use Aldiko to copy books and FBreader to read them. Aldiko is less happy if you use a usb cable to copy books over than FBreader is.
Thanks, jeather!

I had no idea that ereading would be so complicated and expected that the Vox would work right out of the box! I'm glad that I have some time to prepare before my Vox arrives, probably tomorrow or the day after.

My books are presently organized on Calibre on my netbook so Aldiko seems like the way to go, using an SD card. If I also download FBreader, I could then decide which I personally prefer for reading them.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
You can import all the books into Kobo too, of course, but apparently the sorting in the Kobo app sucks; I gave up on it once it was made clear that the margins aren't customisable, well before I tried sorting stuff.

FYI, Calibre doesn't (yet) recognise the Vox as an ereader, so you can send to it, but not see what's on your device.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The challenge: Appbrain App is, itself, in the Google Android Market so there is no way to install the Appbrain Market App.
You should be able to go to www.appbrain.com/install and install the app that way.

I took a look at APKTOP and it looks like there are quite a few pirated pay apps on there.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You should be able to go to www.appbrain.com/install and install the app that way.

I took a look at APKTOP and it looks like there are quite a few pirated pay apps on there.
Nope. It sends you to the Market to install. No independently downloadable APK. except through pirate sites.
Closed Thread