Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
trijntje
trijntje began at the beginning.

Device: none
translating calibre: strings I dont understand

Hello world,

I've been going over the Dutch translations of calibre the past few months, and in that time I have accumulated a number of strings I don't know the context or meaning of, which makes translation difficult.

The general form of the questions is:
"Confusing string": elaborations, suggestions on what I think it could refer to, etc
  1. "ebook viewer"/ "viewer" in general: Is this another name for an e-reader, or a software program to view an e-book on your computer (like evince for pdf).
  2. "producer" (of a book): What is the difference between the publisher and the producer of a book?
  3. "Fix unmanifested files": What does 'unmanifested'/'manifested' mean? I know it has something to do with ePub files, but thats about it. Should I leave unmanifested untranslated because it is a technical name, like a HTML-tag?
  4. "Font size &key": What does this refer to in the interface?
  5. "%s news sources": What would go in the place of %s?
  6. "Redirect console output to a dialog window (both stdout and stderr). Useful on windows where GUI apps do not have a output streams.": does this refer to windows(tm) the OS or GUI-windows under linux/mac/win?
  7. "Text, column shown in the tag browser": I understand the part after the comma, but the Text part is throwing me off. What does this mean?
  8. "Read &metadata from &file contents rather than file name": Why does this string contain two ampersands(&), is this an error?
  9. And a general question: where can I find a list of all keywords/settings string that are used in calibre that *should not be translated*. For example True, False etc. I want to check those and make sure they aren't translated.

thanks in advance
trijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1. Software, usually the calibre ebook viewer
2. typically used to refer to software that produced the file as opposed to humans
3. unmanifested means files that are not refered to in the manifest of files inside the epub. You can leave it un translated, though unmanifested means the same thing in this context as in general usage.
4. Look and feel section of the conversion settings.
5. A number
6. The OS
7. Text refers to the datatype of entries in that column
8. error there should be no & before file

The only place that I can think of where True and False shouldn't be translated is the examples in the documentation for tweaks. Generally speaking, they should be translated. Similarly python datatype names like dict, list, tuple in this same documentation should not be translated.

The other major category of things that should not be tranlsated is option names in the documentation for command line programs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
trijntje

Thanks for your quick response, and for also modifying the po file to add some explanations.
With these questions sorted out I am proud to announce that the Dutch translation of calibre is 100% complete, and has been fully checked for errors.

On a final note, Mark Dikkenberg (https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/calibre) is no longer active in translating calibre, so it might be better to appoint Launchpad Dutch Translators (https://launchpad.net/~lp-l10n-nl) as manager of the translation of calibre.

Thanks again for your help, and for creating calibre in the first place!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome and thanks for the translations. I only appoint people who volunteer as managers fo translations, so if you are a member of the dutch translations group, let me know and I will appoint it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
trijntje

Yes, I'm the owner of the Dutch translation group on launchpad, I should have mentioned that. Is there somewhere I can subscribe to get notifications of new strings in calibre, or should I just periodically check the template in launchpad myself?
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK I've appointed the team. As far as I know there is no notifications mechanism in launchpad for translations. However, calibre gets about 10 new strings every week, which are typically uploaded every Friday just before the new release is made.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
trijntje

Thats easy enought to remember, every friday. I'll keep an eye out for new strings, thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
OK I've appointed the team. As far as I know there is no notifications mechanism in launchpad for translations. However, calibre gets about 10 new strings every week, which are typically uploaded every Friday just before the new release is made.
There is a way.
If you use Bazaar, the po file can be updated automatically so you will have the latest translation available on your pc.
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote