Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeman View Post
For me, the Mistborn trilogy started out strong and ended with a whimper. The magic system is probably one of the more unique and detailed systems out of any fantasy series I've ever read and I truly enjoyed the entire series up until the very end. In fact it is the end of this series combined with the ending of Elantris that makes me wary of picking up the Way of Kings.
I really enjoyed the ending, personally. It came as a complete surprise to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
dbeman
Enthusiast
dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dbeman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
What didn't you like about the end? I thought it was alright. Not entirely unpredictable, true, but I wouldn't consider it a disappointment.
Spoiler:
The main characters becoming gods left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt more like a cop out then a well planned ending.
dbeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #48
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just wrapped up the audiobooks, and while the last three-ish hours took ages for me to get through, the last 30-odd minutes was very satisfying. The expository prefaces to each chapter did have me groaning toward the end there.

On the whole, there was more than enough here that was enjoyable that I'm glad to have 'read' the series, but I can't say it was crafted in a way that I'm particularly impressed with the author. The best of it was the characterization of most of the crew members and a few key villains (though not so much the 'Big Bad'), and the action scenes centered on one or two of the main characters (though not so much the military engagements). The worst of it was when he seemed to be writing self-congratulatory essays about his own world-building.

The magic systems and fighting styles were more superhero/anime than sword-and-sorcery style magic, to me. I would almost call them superpower systems rather than magic systems. On the whole, this series seemed to borrow more from Full Metal Alchemist and X-Men than Tolkien et al.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #49
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I just wrapped up the audiobooks, and while the last three-ish hours took ages for me to get through, the last 30-odd minutes was very satisfying. The expository prefaces to each chapter did have me groaning toward the end there.

On the whole, there was more than enough here that was enjoyable that I'm glad to have 'read' the series, but I can't say it was crafted in a way that I'm particularly impressed with the author. The best of it was the characterization of most of the crew members and a few key villains (though not so much the 'Big Bad'), and the action scenes centered on one or two of the main characters (though not so much the military engagements). The worst of it was when he seemed to be writing self-congratulatory essays about his own world-building.

The magic systems and fighting styles were more superhero/anime than sword-and-sorcery style magic, to me. I would almost call them superpower systems rather than magic systems. On the whole, this series seemed to borrow more from Full Metal Alchemist and X-Men than Tolkien et al.
OK, sold. Going on my TBR list now. Thanks.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #50
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Folks you might want to pick up the fourth book in the series. You can get excerpts of it for free at this inkmesh link:

http://inkmesh.com/ebooks/alloy-of-l...ndon+Sanderson

Last edited by ctol; 11-15-2011 at 03:42 AM.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I bought it a few days ago. Haven't started reading it yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elantris is my current audiobook, and I'm finding the world more intriguing than the one in Mistborn, and laid out more subtly, less brick-by-brick. Hopefully there won't be an exposition dump near the end like in Mistborn. Elantris is doing a lot more for my opinion of Sanderson as an author than the Mistborn trilogy did.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #53
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just bought Elantris for my Kindle last night. Reviews seem positive and I look forward to starting it soon.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #54
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeman View Post
Spoiler:
The main characters becoming gods left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt more like a cop out then a well planned ending.
Mistborn was envisioned by Sanderson as a "trilogy of trilogies", with the plan calling for the original trilogy serving as the lore for the events that will take place in the remaining books (which take places several centuries later). So when you look at it that way, it fits.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #55
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Hopefully there won't be an exposition dump near the end like in Mistborn. Elantris is doing a lot more for my opinion of Sanderson as an author than the Mistborn trilogy did.
Can't remember a significant infodump, but I do remember I was disappointed with the end. Felt a bit too rushed to me, specially considering that most of the book seems to have a slow build-up. And the ending was a bit too unresolved.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #56
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thought I'd chime in here as I finished the 3rd book, Hero of Ages, last night. I enjoyed the series and particularly enjoyed the endings of the 1st and 3rd books. I thought the 2nd book and much of the 3rd book floundered around, but were still interesting enough that I had no trouble finishing them.

It's always bittersweet when author's do what Sanderson did here to the characters. It fits, it's epic (hence our love of epic fantasy, right?) yet of course it's a bit emotional!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #57
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Can't remember a significant infodump, but I do remember I was disappointed with the end. Felt a bit too rushed to me, specially considering that most of the book seems to have a slow build-up. And the ending was a bit too unresolved.
I didn't have a problem with the ending. It definitely moved fast toward the end, going from zero to Dragon Ball Z in about six seconds, but Sanderson made good use of nearly all of the groundwork he laid down.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #58
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
While the series was not perfect, I greatly enjoyed it overall and I look forward to reading the newest book in the series. I am also looking forward to reading the next book in his "Stormlight Archive" series.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #59
Coralm
Enthusiast
Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Coralm knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle
If you liked Mistborn and you don't want to get involved with the Stormlight Archives until more of them are ready, you can pick up Warbreaker to get your fix. It's actually my favorite of his and stands alone (although I did ask him via email once if he ever planned a sequel and he said yes).
Coralm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #60
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralm View Post
If you liked Mistborn and you don't want to get involved with the Stormlight Archives until more of them are ready, you can pick up Warbreaker to get your fix. It's actually my favorite of his and stands alone (although I did ask him via email once if he ever planned a sequel and he said yes).
I just finished Elantris and really enjoyed it. I thought the ending was fine because the entire book was building up to it and then as someone else so eloquently put it...the last 40 pages or so went all Dragon Ball Z.

Spoiler:
You knew from the first page that the prince was going to restore the magic...it was just a question of when and how. Then, when its back, it gets used with a vengeance.

I just picked up Warbreaker...according to Sanderson's blog, its almost like a sister book to Elantris with some of the same ideas but taken in a different direction.

I plan to read Misborn but won't bother with Stormlight until most of the books are out.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote