Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
waleedqk
Edge User

Library to SD Card

Does moving the library to the SD card have any affect on the apps etc. They would still be using the internal storage right?
Also does simply moving a pdf to the card on the PC add it to your library the next time you open it.
And will i be able to make folders in the card since the EE uses the TAG system.

Thanx for the help

Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waleedqk View Post
Does moving the library to the SD card have any affect on the apps etc. They would still be using the internal storage right?
Also does simply moving a pdf to the card on the PC add it to your library the next time you open it.
And will i be able to make folders in the card since the EE uses the TAG system.

Thanx for the help
The apps will stay in the same place, internal storage. You can make folders on your SD card with ES File explorer. I'm not sure I understand the other question. You have to add files to the library intentionally, they will not add just by opening them.

Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Apps get installed to a small fixed allocation of memory (322 MB), although with the many apps I have installed I've only used 50%. Moving the library to the SD card does not increase this allocation. From what I understand, it's only the app files themselves that are installed there; app data typically is stored in Internal Storage (of which we get 2.49 Gb). I believe with Android 2.2 (which is coming), you can install apps to the SD card, freeing you from this 322 MB limit.

If the Library is on the SD card, simply moving a PDF there does not add it to the library, you still have to use "Add to Library". Note that regardless of the location of the Library, "Add to Library" *copies* the file to the Library storage area, meaning there are now two PDFs. I always recommend deleting the original PDF/EPUB once you've added it to the Library so that you don't use up double the space (of course, you should always keep a backup of all files somewhere off your eDGe).

Regarding folders, you need to understand what the "Library" is. It comprises a set of hidden folders containing the files you've added, plus metafiles and metadata describing them and containing the annotations and links you've added to them. These files and folders are not normally visible to you, regardless of the location of the Library. The sole method for interacting with the Library is the Library app, which gives you tags, but not folders. Were you to rearrange the files and folders in the hidden Library storage directory, you would "break" the Library.

Last edited by borisb; 12-28-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Ah ha! cheyennedonna managed to beat me to the punch this time! :P

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
waleedqk
Edge User

I meant if i copy paste pdf files on the card in the PC and then pen the library in the EE, i'll see the new files?
I can skip the export to SD card step an all that stuff, but now that i think about it, it reads all the stuff in the card so never mind, i'll find out by trying it out myself.

Also is there a particular reason why empty folders such as lost.dir and .dataviz coming on my USB flash drive every time I connect it to my edge.

Thanks for coming to the rescue again.

Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
I meant if i copy paste pdf files on the card in the PC and then pen the library in the EE, i'll see the new files?
No, you won't. Note you don't *have* to add files to the Library just to read them. However, to annotate them and add links, or to read DRM-protected books, they have to be in the Library.

Quote:
Also is there a particular reason why empty folders such as lost.dir and .dataviz coming on my USB flash drive every time I connect it to my edge.
lost.dir would be part of an automatic file recovery mechanism the eDGe is using (most likely your USB flash drive is FAT32). .dataviz would be created by the Documents To Go app, probably for indexing files it finds and/or extra or temp storage should the app need it.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
waleedqk
Edge User

thanks, i was only able to read your post after i posted mine, thanks for the detailed info

And when you say Android 2.2 is coming, is there a timeline or an expected date for that?
Really need that for an important app i.e Skype

Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
borisb
Edge User

enTourage hasn't set a date for Android 2.2, but have said they are working to get it out to us as soon as possible.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Ah ha! cheyennedonna managed to beat me to the punch this time! :P
And by a whole minute!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
...Android 2.2 is coming, is there a timeline or an expected date...
Read "A Statement about Froyo"