Just saw this (cross)posted on Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5653282/set-a-...heft-deterrent

This person set the screensaver to say "This is a non-functioning demo unit"

Neat idea!
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Clever..! I like that guy's style.

I put my kindle in a $0.99 padded self mailer pouch when not in use, or left at my desk. Looks like just another office supply.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I personally just try to keep my Kindle out of situations where theft is likely but ....

Okay, that picture made me laugh.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
solar
solar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi 3G
Although its a bit of a bother to have to put in a password every use, I do use the password protect. In the event my K3 is lost/stolen, the password will hopefully give me some time to de-register the device and advise the folks at Amazon of the loss/theft.

Here's hoping password protect would deter a thief as well, but as mentioned above, I make a point of not leaving it unattended where theft is possible or likely.

Chris
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I'm more concerned about accidentally leaving it somewhere than someone actually stealing it.

I modified several screensaver images to add "This Kindle belongs to..." along with my cell phone number and e-mail address.

If an honest person found it they'd have no problem figuring out how to contact me to return it. If a less-honest person "finds" it they'll be staring at "This Kindle belongs to..." every time they pick it up!

I also created a Word document with my contact info on it, titled it "Kindle Owner Info", sent it to my free Kindle e-mail address and had it converted. Now there's a "book" titled "Kindle Owner Info".

I also went old-school; I put a sticker on the back with my contact info.

Last edited by TomF; 10-03-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added "screensaver" to clarify
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
"This is a non-functioning demo unit"
Next time I steal one of these, I'll leave a note saying "Borrowed for demonstration purposes".

Seems rather dumb.

P.S. While you're at it, place a card in your wallet that says "this is counterfeit demo currency". If that won't deter the thieves, I don't know what will.

Last edited by c861556; 10-01-2010 at 06:10 PM.
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
wurzel
wurzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How does this stop it being lifted by a tea-leaf? OK - you are good at hacking - so what?
wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
If people see something they want, they will take it, and sort out whether or not it was a good grab, well after the event.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
If people see something they want, they will take it, and sort out whether or not it was a good grab, well after the event.
Sad but true. For the same reason, don't leave an empty GPS mount in a visible place in your car, and wipe any suction cup marks off the windshield. When thieves see these telltale signs, they "smash and grab" in the hope that the GPS is the glove box or hidden under a seat. If it's not there, nothing lost (for them).
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote