Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Calibre and line spacing

I got a little lost in the Kobo Rocks thread and the line spacing discussion, so I would like to know...

Can I use calibre to get tighter line spacing, and still fine tune the line spacing thru the Kobo GUI?

What would I need to set on the following screen.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	104986  
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And this would be in regards to a Touch, Glow and Aura.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try setting minimum line height to 100% and see what happens.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I got a little lost in the Kobo Rocks thread and the line spacing discussion, so I would like to know...

Can I use calibre to get tighter line spacing, and still fine tune the line spacing thru the Kobo GUI?

What would I need to set on the following screen.

Thanks.
Not absolutely certain but I think you need to attach the line spacing to a <p> or <div> or other lower level tag and not to the body tag. For an .epub file, the line-height in the body will have no effect. If you use the lower level tags, the Kobo UI will not let you modify the line spacing.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-26-2013 at 07:03 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
You could try in Calibre:
Convert books
Look & Feel
Filter Style Information
then in other CSS properties add line-height.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
You could try in Calibre:
Convert books
Look & Feel
Filter Style Information
then in other CSS properties add line-height.
I do do that sometimes (it allows me to change the line spacing in the GUI), but it doesn't get me tighter line spacing.

Thanks.

Last edited by John F; 04-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not absolutely certain but I think you need to attach the line spacing to a <p> or <div> or other lower level tag and not to the body tag. For an .epub file, the line-height in the body will have no effect. If you use the lower level tags, the Kobo UI will not let you modify the line spacing.

Regards,
David
So your saying that i can have fixed tighter line spacing OR changing it through the GUI, but I can't have both?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You can force the Kobo to have tighter line spacing by editing the stylesheet.css file for the epub. 120% or 1.2em works well for me. Once it's within the epub though, the slider to adjust line spacing from the Kobo GUI has no effect, which isn't really a problem if you've set the css correctly to your liking.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I use Sigil to set the line-height in the stylesheet, usually on the p tag, e.g.,

Code:
p
{
    line-height: 1.2em;
}
If there is already a p tag in the stylesheet then you need to add it to that. You can also be more selective--perhaps you do not want to set the line-height for all paragraphs, but only for some styles?

Also, some epubs do not use p tags for paragraphs, they may use divs or spans. This is annoying, but with Sigil you can easily check for this.

Last edited by ShellShock; 04-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I was hoping that someone had already done this and would be able to give a known answer (that could be entered on the window I captured in my first post.)

Everyone, thank you for the suggestions, but ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Regards,
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You can force the Kobo to have tighter line spacing by editing the stylesheet.css file for the epub. 120% or 1.2em works well for me. Once it's within the epub though, the slider to adjust line spacing from the Kobo GUI has no effect, which isn't really a problem if you've set the css correctly to your liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I use Sigil to set the line-height in the stylesheet, usually on the p tag, e.g.,

Code:
p
{
}
If there is already a p tag in the stylesheet then you need to add it to that. You can also be more selective--perhaps you do not want to set the line-height for all paragraphs, but only for some styles?

Also, some epubs do not use p tags for paragraphs, they may use divs or spans. This is annoying, but with Sigil you can easily check for this.
Some of these suggestions are as helpful as telling me I can modify the spacing by editing the EPub.

I'm currently using a modified font, so I can get closer line spacing, but I would like to use the internal fonts (once Kobo fixes the italics bug(s).)

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
You can try the code I posted above in the Calibre Extra CSS field, see if it works. It may not, especially if there is already a p tag in the stylesheet.

I emailed Kobo support about the problem with italics displaying as bold in epubs for some of their fonts, e.g. Kobo Nickel. Their response was essentially I should use kepub instead, as this is their main platform, and the fonts work OK in kepubs. They do not seem interested in fixing the fonts for epubs.

Last edited by ShellShock; 04-27-2013 at 07:36 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So your saying that i can have fixed tighter line spacing OR changing it through the GUI, but I can't have both?

Thanks.
Correct. I use 1.1 in my stylesheet for body text and 1.2 for headings and other non-body text. I also tend to use one font for all my reading so I don't run into the different appearing line spacing with different fonts. Margins are also set in the stylesheet. the Kobo slider will let you increase the left/right margins if you wish to do so.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The line spacing slider doesn't work even if it can make changes as the minimum of 1.3 is too big to start with and can only get bigger from there.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post

Code:
p
{
}
Actually, do the following and it will work better overall...

Code:
 p, div, h1, h2 {
line-height 1.2em
}
Put that at the top of the CSS and if there are any other styles used that change the line-height, that will override your 1.2em and if not, your 1.2em will work as is for all those.

Quote:
A span is not a paragraph level tag. So it doesn't need a line-height to change the Kobo default.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The line spacing slider doesn't work even if it can make changes as the minimum of 1.3 is too big to start with and can only get bigger from there.
But if you want to make a temporary change to a bigger line spacing, you can't. Or if you are sharing the library with your family and they like different settings. When I fiddle with an epub, I like to remove as many of the hard-coded settings as possible. That gives the most flexibility when reading the book. For line spacing, Kobo's minimum of 1.3 is almost right for me. I'd probably use 1.2 if it was there, but it isn't enough of advantage to make me hard-code it.

And for anyone who wants to know, the line spacing settings are: 1.3, 1.35, 1.4, 1.6, 1.775, 1.9, 2, 2.2, 3. I have no idea why those numbers, but they have been like this for a while.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote