Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #181
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Something new! Eventually!

Finally! My quest could end now! I *think* that I've eventually find the graal of all the large-screen lovers.

Check this out:
Archos FamilyPad 2

I was already interested by the FamilyPad 1 but the CPU was rather slow I think for this size of screen unfortunately.
But now, with 13.3 in, dual-core 1.6GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor with quad-core graphics, 1GB RAM and for the stunning price of... 300€.
There is absolutely NO competition for this
Finally!
At least I am dying to see the release date
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #182
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
Check this out:
Archos FamilyPad 2
Good to see larger screens coming out, but it depends what you're planing to use it for. The pixel density is rather low, at 113 ppi.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #183
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Good to see larger screens coming out, but it depends what you're planing to use it for. The pixel density is rather low, at 113 ppi.

Graham
Okay it's probably not to see HD movie in their sublime look, but it's an incredible 300€ ($390) not 500 or 600€ like the others! (By the way the Toshiba Excite 13 from the previous page has simply disappeared of the market! )

My use is to read ebook, magazine, some manga and comics, and technical papers.
I am currently reading on my computer screen with a resolution of 1440*900 @19" = 89 PPI ( ppi calculator ) and I see no problem at all. Bigger resolution maybe useful for those using their tablet as multimedia device. and still, It' really okay even for that judging by my screen.

Last edited by Huyggy; 03-10-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #184
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Android isn't really designed to run on a 13" screen yet. That might be part of the reason the Toshiba Excite 13 failed.

With a computer, 89 ppi isn't that big a problem because you can turn off the font smoothing. With Android you can't, so you need retina resolution to overcome the problem.

These are better, but more expensive:
http://liliputing.com/2013/03/asus-t...its-japan.html

http://liliputing.com/2013/03/asus-l...ch-tablet.html

Last edited by toronado; 03-10-2013 at 02:23 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #185
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Me like the AiO.
Is it already available in Asia?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #186
Huyggy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Android isn't really designed to run on a 13" screen yet. That might be part of the reason the Toshiba Excite 13 failed.
I guess they will fail too. I don't think that Android is the problem. And not Windows 8 the solution neither (because you need a powerful CPU then, which means lots of fan with noise and bad autonomy).
The problem is the Prize. The 13" is indeed a niche market and $649 (or $1200 for Asus!) is way too expensive for that.

Last edited by Huyggy; 03-11-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #187
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Me like the AiO.
Is it already available in Asia?
I dunno. But here is another one:http://liliputing.com/2013/03/dell-x...-a-tablet.html

Of course none of these are E-Ink. I'm getting tired of waiting for E-Ink to improve the screen refresh rates though. (and offer larger models) The flashing to inverse on page turns really bugs me. And the partial refresh used on some does nothing to solve that for me. I'd prefer E-Ink, but need the technology to improve.

Last edited by toronado; 03-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #188
toronado
Addict

Quote:
I don't think that Android is the problem. And not Windows 8 the solution neither (because you need a powerful CPU then, which means lots of fan with noise and bad autonomy).
Agreed. But the notable exception is the the Atom Z2760 SoC based devices, such as ASUS VivoTab, which allow X86 to run fanless and pretty cool. Of course the performance is not up to the level of Core i but at least it gives you access to your X86 applications.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #189
Huyggy
Zealot

The tablet is out (since a few days I think) !
Already ordered as for me

http://www.archos.com/products/theme...try=be&lang=en
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #190
toronado
Addict

Quote:

Let us know how you like it.

I'm curious how Android will run on a 16:10 1280x800 device.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #191
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:

I would be interested in your impressions. What was the shipping time estimate?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #192
Huyggy
Zealot

I will report here my feelings as soon as I get this
Shipping time between 3 and 6 days from now...

EDIT : By the way: I've got now a PocketBook 903, quality correct, to sell at 65€ (+shipping from France)

Last edited by Huyggy; 03-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #193
toronado
Addict

I'm also curious to know what resolution it supports via HDMI out.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #194
toronado
Addict

http://youtu.be/yWzIPVgh1Xg

I think it's great that they are getting rid of those heavy paper manuals!

But...

I'm surprised that airliners don't have built-in screens for this, and are using a consumer device like the iPad (and mounted on what appears to be suction cup mounts stuck to the inside of the window!)

Wouldn't it be better if the screen was larger and integrated better or at least mounted with a proper dock instead of having the iPad cord dangling down out of the bottom?!

What does this say for the future of eReaders and tablets, especially larger format devices needed for reading technical manuals, that professionals such as airline pilots are having to suffice with this sort of arrangement?

If it's good enough for them, I suppose that means we will never have a proper consumer device that replaces textbooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close-s.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	103580   Click image for larger version

Name:	cord-s.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	103581  
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #195
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
http://youtu.be/yWzIPVgh1Xg

I think it's great that they are getting rid of those heavy paper manuals!

But...

I'm surprised that airliners don't have built-in screens for this, and are using a consumer device like the iPad (and mounted on what appears to be suction cup mounts stuck to the inside of the window!)

Wouldn't it be better if the screen was larger and integrated better or at least mounted with a proper dock instead of having the iPad cord dangling down out of the bottom?!

What does this say for the future of eReaders and tablets, especially larger format devices needed for reading technical manuals, that professionals such as airline pilots are having to suffice with this sort of arrangement?

If it's good enough for them, I suppose that means we will never have a proper consumer device that replaces textbooks.
I don't know, but I think the current generation iPad with proper PDFs can currently replace textbooks.

What is it that you think this combination can't do?
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote