Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I wouldn't worry about holding a 7" tablet close to your ears for making phone calls. Perhaps Apple will soon announce their newly patented invention, the headphone!
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
have you considered the Note/Note 2? smaller screen than a full fledged tablet, but has call capabilities. Of course on a tablet you also have VoIP options like Skype which work rather well (and can be cheaper than phone plans, but call quality can be quite inferior, depending on where you're calling).
Note is perfect, except only for one thing -- the price. It will be perfect once the price drops to $199. Skype is OK but SMS and voice communication with friends on mobile phone is still an issue? I'm in New Zealand and I've not heard of such gateway yet.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
Note is perfect, except only for one thing -- the price. It will be perfect once the price drops to $199. Skype is OK but SMS and voice communication with friends on mobile phone is still an issue? I'm in New Zealand and I've not heard of such gateway yet.
It might be $199 if subsidized by phone company.
Current Note I is about $550 unlocked at Amazon.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryEnthusiast View Post
I haven't used skype myself much, but my wife's mother uses it extensively, particularly for LD calls, and has a phone number associated with her account. She really likes it and has no issues calling or receiving calls from Cell's or land based lines.

As for SMS, I'm not sure; is email not a viable alternative? (most phones that can do SMS should be able to do email...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
It might be $199 if subsidized by phone company.
Current Note I is about $550 unlocked at Amazon.
I'd expect the note2 to be around $200 via 3 year contract; Note1 comes in at $99 around here.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I'd expect the note2 to be around $200 via 3 year contract; Note1 comes in at $99 around here.

3 year contracts, the crown jewel of the Canadian big 3, should be outlawed. It is outrageous that you have to sign your life away for 3 years to get a modest discount on a phone. Worse, they make the discounts for 1 and 2 years so ridiculous that folks who want it subsidized have no option other than to go for the 3 year contract. Thank goodness we have the new entrants to show the finger to the big 3.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

3 year contracts, the crown jewel of the Canadian big 3, should be outlawed. It is outrageous that you have to sign your life away for 3 years to get a modest discount on a phone. Worse, they make the discounts for 1 and 2 years so ridiculous that folks who want it subsidized have no option other than to go for the 3 year contract. Thank goodness we have the new entrants to show the finger to the big 3.
Honestly, I don't mind the contracts so much as I got my Galaxy Nexus for free and I don't tend to switch phones with each new version; actually, this is my first new phone (personal one anyway) in 10 years. The one thing that does irk me is that some data plans are not available to contract users, at least with Fido, that give more data at the same price I'm currently paying.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #22
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

In the Internet space, 3 years is a loooooooooong time.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 AM   #23
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
No kidding. If I were living in Canada I would still have almost a year left on my iPhone 3GS contract. That would just kill me.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
I haven't used skype myself much, but my wife's mother uses it extensively, particularly for LD calls, and has a phone number associated with her account. She really likes it and has no issues calling or receiving calls from Cell's or land based lines.

As for SMS, I'm not sure; is email not a viable alternative? (most phones that can do SMS should be able to do email...)

Skype, with a subscription (quite cheap) will allow you to have a number associated with your account that anyone can call from a regular phone, let you send and receive SMS and call phone numbers. Only problem AFAIK is that you need wireless or a data plan to initiate calls.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Battery life will take a modest hit.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Skype, with a subscription (quite cheap) will allow you to have a number associated with your account that anyone can call from a regular phone, let you send and receive SMS and call phone numbers. Only problem AFAIK is that you need wireless or a data plan to initiate calls.
Is SMS exchange done via a local phone call set up via Skype? I stopped using Skype few years ago because quality of international calls was very bad from NZ.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's done on the Skype app either on the computer or on a tablet or a smart phone.

The attached screen shows the menu after a phone number or contact is entered. Tap on the SMS line and you get another screen where you can enter a message.
I've talked to a cousin while he was away on business in Vietnam and talk to my daughter in Japan regularly and find the sound is quite good. The video is neat too... I use my galaxy tab usually but have also used my phone (a Galaxy Ace) for voice/SMS, not video since no front camera.
As far as local numbers, you can use what they call "Skype to Go" numbers which are local numbers you can assign to your most frequently used contacts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1347575879381.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	92322  

Last edited by Cdesja5; 09-13-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #28
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

Thanks Cdesja5 for the explanation. I'm not sure if I understand well. I know I can use Skype Out to call a mobile phone number. So you are saying I can also send SMS to this number as well?

Now, what if the mobile phone user is not using Skype but wants to call me? or send SMS to me? What do I need to set up before this is also possible?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Cdesja5
Wizard

For someone to call you from a landline you need to get a Skype number. You can get it monthly or pay by the year. Only problem is that they offer them for a limited number of countries and New Zealand might not be one of them. You should check out the Skype site, they offer a lot of new "options" nowadays but not every one is for all countries.
For SMS, you send them from the app, there's a small charge per SMS and the person you sent it to can reply to your messages without dialing a number. They can't initiate the SMS from a phone to Skype.
I'm really not sure if all of this would be "cheaper" than a phone plan within your home country, I use it for contacting family that are over on your side of the Pacific. For that, it's much cheaper than a phone plan here seeing as it's occasional. Like I said above, you should check out their site...
Old 09-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #30
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
For someone to call you from a landline you need to get a Skype number. You can get it monthly or pay by the year. Only problem is that they offer them for a limited number of countries and New Zealand might not be one of them. You should check out the Skype site, they offer a lot of new "options" nowadays but not every one is for all countries.
Thanks. If you mean getting a local number, yes, here in NZ I can use Skype and choose a local number.