Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Ebook publishers

What book ebook publishers have you found that have excellent prices and great service and deal fairly with the customers time and time again? I like to buy from Baen and Black Library, I find that these two publishers have excellent prices and have very good customer service. What publishers do you find yourself buying from time and time again?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Recently, DANL (discoveranewlove), Carina Press, and Smashwords. All are DRM-free.

The first two are mainly romance novels, and Smashwords is self-published work of varying genres, fiction and non.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm sorry; are you talking about just publishers or including retailers in general?

Baen Books for example is both, as they also sell eBooks from other publishers.

If it's just publishers, I'm satisfied with Angry Robot Books.

For other similar retailers, I like Weightless Books and Wizards Tower Press.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't give two hoots who publishes a book; it's only the retailer experience that's important to me, and Amazon win hands down there, for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I was tlaking about publishers, however I do understand Charlestan's point as frequently the two of them really go hand in hand. Actually harry you do bring up an interesting point: is Amazon a publisher or simply a retailer? The definition of a publisher that I have been using is that its a company that contracts with writers and constructs the ebook and printed book and sells to the retailers, who then sells to the consumer. The retailer is a middleman that a lot of us could do with out. However there are man ycases where amazon is simply a retailer and a middleman. So wether amazon is a retailer or a publisher is debatable.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I couldn't tell you—off the top of my head—who publishes the books I tend to buy. I only pay attention to who wrote it and who I bought it from.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have dealt with a few vendors away from the main stores:

Baen - Great customer-friendly setup, with freebies, good prices, redownloads and gift codes. Their range is quite narrow, and if anything they give too much away. I kind of had to force myself to buy something from them a few months ago because they deserved it. I still have a mountain of freebies to work through.

Book View Cafe - Again good prices, typically. Good variety but quite limited range. I've bought three books from them, and there isn't much else there that I want. They used to offer redownloads, but the new store does not, and it also only offers one of the two main formats now. I'm still happy to buy from them.

Poisoned Pen - I've only bought from them on their 99c offer, and I haven't actually read anything yet. Similar store setup to BVC: no persistent account with redownloads.

Wildside - I've yet to buy anything direct from them, but I will next time I want one of their books. Good prices on some backlist SF (I think it was $3 for the short Brian Stableford novels I bought). They also seem to repackage PD work. I had a good response from them when I emailed about a missing book on Amazon UK. Their website isn't much good for browsing, and they also split Kindle and EPUB.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard

Thats some interesting publishers and some great prices from wildside. I think I am going to need to bookmark that one for latter exploration. I know what you mean about baen giving away too much, they seem to give away most everything David Weber has written for them. I like their monthly packages. I have participated in a few of the monthly giveaways here and as a consequence my to be read stack has been increading in size a bit lately. I am sitting on the sidelines now and trying to reduce that stack lately, going to take a while, I have managed to get through the Larry Corriea and I am going to finish up the David Weber.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've bought every monthly "Webscription" package from Baen since they started in 1999. I consider it a small way in which I can show my support in a practical way for one of the good guys of the publishing industry.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Actually I was tlaking about publishers, however I do understand Charlestan's point as frequently the two of them really go hand in hand. Actually harry you do bring up an interesting point: is Amazon a publisher or simply a retailer?
The storefront that we know as Amazon is just a retailer. It seems like they're a publisher because they give people--whether authors or publishers--tools to self publish on their site. But technically, they are a retailer.

However, the caveat there is that they do have a division that is a publisher, contracting writers, designing covers, writing copy, etc. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000664761)

But the question is a bit vague to me as not all publishers will sell eBooks on their site, while some publishers even go as far as to sell other publisher's eBooks on their site as well (like Baen) and acting as retailers.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
charlesatan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've bought every monthly "Webscription" package from Baen since they started in 1999. I consider it a small way in which I can show my support in a practical way for one of the good guys of the publishing industry.
Just wondering, and I don't meant to be insulting, but how do you reconcile this statement with your previous post:

Quote:
I don't give two hoots who publishes a book; it's only the retailer experience that's important to me, and Amazon win hands down there, for me.
Since you do pay attention to who publishes the book (Baen in this case).
Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I mean that I don't care who publishes a book that I buy from a mainstream retailer such as Amazon. Baen I deal with directly, not via an intermediary.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I couldn't tell you—off the top of my head—who publishes the books I tend to buy. I only pay attention to who wrote it and who I bought it from.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote