Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #61
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Just read that they are paying their new CEO $1.- per year. If they paid that much to Leo then they overpaid!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #62
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
We have successfully hi-jacked the thread with a discussion about semantics!
The truly funny part here is that I posted instructions on installing Preware last weekend. In my post I explained how it wasn't hacking.

And yes, the only reason why I kept calling it hacking here was that I am stubborn.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #63
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The truly funny part here is that I posted instructions on installing Preware last weekend. In my post I explained how it wasn't hacking.

And yes, the only reason why I kept calling it hacking here was that I am stubborn.
The important thing is that you went ahead and did it. By the way, can you provide a link to your how-to instructions? I am just interested how you wrote, a preware installation instructions from the anti-techie.

I wrote my first instructions on Preware yesterday, too. Though I guess the subject won't be of interest to any of you here (How to setup fully working Chinese in Ubuntu on the Touchpad). That subject had kept me occupied for a month, how to find the right drivers and set up all the variables. But writing instructions is quite a useful exercise.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #64
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I wouldn't call myself an anti-techie, but I am cautious.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...han-you-think/

In any case, i think my touchpad might be dead.

Edit: No, I think it's just the power supply.

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-01-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #65
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
i ordered one from ebay india. cost me about 350$ and will take 20days to reach.
But it includes door delivery and all duties paid. Costly, but hope i can make good use of it.

Now its waiting time.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #66
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I wouldn't call myself an anti-techie, but I am cautious.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...han-you-think/
I like your guide! Thanks and karma for that one.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #67
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's here! It's here!

Right in time for my gym class! I've plugged it in, verified the screen came on, and will leave it to charge while I get my workout and shower and other stuff done. And then... I will PLAY!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #68
HansTWN
Wizard

The holy grail of tablets is close to becoming reality. WebOS running Android in a card! The power and simplicity of WebOS and access to all Android apps.

http://www.precentral.net/android-to...id-and-running
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #69
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
It's here! It's here!

Right in time for my gym class! I've plugged it in, verified the screen came on, and will leave it to charge while I get my workout and shower and other stuff done. And then... I will PLAY!
Slamdunk!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #70
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The holy grail of tablets is close to becoming reality. WebOS running Android in a card! The power and simplicity of WebOS and access to all Android apps.
That will make it even more outstanding!

For now I will be happy playing with it in WebOS though. Really liking it so far, though I can tell it will take me a while to get used to the on-screen keyboard. Clearly I need to use it a lot, for practice.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #71
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
That will make it even more outstanding!

For now I will be happy playing with it in WebOS though. Really liking it so far, though I can tell it will take me a while to get used to the on-screen keyboard. Clearly I need to use it a lot, for practice.
That Android thingy isn't finished yet, will take a few more months until this is ready for prime time is my guess.

As for the on-screen keyboard, you know you can resize it, press and hold?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #72
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I didn't know that, but I will experiment with the resizing. What I really want is a way to get Swedish keyboard layout, so I can type emails in that language to my family. I may ask on Precentral about that.

To be honest, the weirdest thing with the keyboard is typing without any tactile feedback. Drive me nuts not to have moving keys!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #73
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I didn't know that, but I will experiment with the resizing. What I really want is a way to get Swedish keyboard layout, so I can type emails in that language to my family. I may ask on Precentral about that.

To be honest, the weirdest thing with the keyboard is typing without any tactile feedback. Drive me nuts not to have moving keys!
1.)HP doesn't provide a Swedish keyboard. But check the keyboard patches on Precentral, I am sure it is in there somewhere. Or do what I do when I write German and Vietnamese, I just use the English keyboard and don't use the special characters. People know what I am writing about from the context. If I switched keyboards the different layout slows me down too much. For German Umlauts you can substitute ae, oe, ue, anyway. And Vietnamese are used to it, everybody writes SMS on their phones without tonal marks and Umlauts.

2.)As far as the keyboard's tactile experience is concerned there is obviously no way to improve on that. Due to the resizing options it already is the best of all tablets. You can use an external bluetooth or (with some tinkering) a USB keyboard. But this sort of defeats the purpose of a tablet. They were not created for extensive typing. They are for media consumption and limited typing. (You didn't throw away that laptop, did you?) If you do add a physical keyboard and the screen is much further back everything looks pretty small on that screen. Not ideal either, but a lot better if you really want a laptop replacement.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #74
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

I would never throw away my laptop. It has all my games!

I will definitely check the keyboard patches on Precentral, since I plan to look for other things there anyway. The reason I'm griping about the keyboard is primarily because I want to check my forums on the TouchPad, but in the end it's not that big a deal. I do agree that the size and layout of the keyboard is outstanding, especially with the pad side ways ("landscape mode"), since the size and spacing of the keys is pretty much like the keyboard on a netbook.

I'm getting used to it though. These posts are getting easier and easier to type.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #75
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
As for the on-screen keyboard, you know you can resize it, press and hold?
Ooh! I didn't know that either.

Thanks,

Graham

EDIT: for those who haven't found it, you press and hold the keyboard button on the virtual keyboard to get a choice of sizes.

You can also press and hold any letter or number key to get a choice of alternates, with accents, symbols, etc.

Last edited by Graham; 10-06-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote