Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Talking Barnes & Noble launches Nook for Android

I leave you with the link I just got via Twitter:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bn.ereader

For me as a European it is of course of no concern.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Unhappy …*for Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
For me as a European it is of course of no concern.
Damm the “for Android” if missing from the title. I can't change that. Moderators to the rescue!
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Works fine on my G1. The app size is rather large, though.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Title changed as requested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
What format is the application using? Is it eReader(PDB) or ePUB?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
0tter
0tter began at the beginning.

Device: Android
The format is EPub
0tter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Sweet.

I may be getting an Android soon as an upgrade.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Anyone tried sideloading books yet?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
krischik
Addict

Unhappy USA only again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Title changed as requested.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
What format is the application using? Is it eReader(PDB) or ePUB?
ePub it is. Or both…

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Anyone tried sideloading books yet?
Yes and it did not work. This is why I am not exited event with the NOOK reader being the most beautiful eBook reader I have seen up until now.

It has the new realistic page change Microsoft patented recently.

Martin
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
How does the sharing work? Can you share across devices?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Wow! Definitely worth the wait. This might be one of the few "professional" applications I have used on Android (first impressions of course).

It's large, but for a very good reason: nook for Android includes fonts! Unlike Kindle for Android (which doesn't even offer its standard Caecilia font) and Aldiko (which simply lies about supporting other fonts), this one includes eight fonts (which at 2MB per font accounts for much of the size), including the nook favorite Amasis. Also unlike Kindle for Android, the font size options are much more suitable for my eyes. (Aldiko obviously exceeds in the font size front by not dumbing down the selection.)

Thanks, Barnes & Noble! This just reaffirms my support of the second-place bookseller.

Now, if we could only get sideloading to work the application would be perfect.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
this one includes eight fonts (which at 2MB per font accounts for much of the size), including the nook favorite Amasis.
Those are all custom fonts just for the app? Not Android system fonts?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
They are custom fonts, not Android system fonts.

I may be incorrect about the size, though. I just noticed that there are font files loaded onto the SD card, and that they are very small (~160K, so not the full font suite).

Still, real font selection on Android!
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
They are custom fonts, not Android system fonts.

I may be incorrect about the size, though. I just noticed that there are font files loaded onto the SD card, and that they are very small (~160K, so not the full font suite).

Still, real font selection on Android!
Nice!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
I was wondering when this would happen. The nook uses Android as the underlying OS, so a port of the reader application o something that isn't a nook would be relatively trivial.

I suspect this will handle both ePub and eReader formats, since the nook app does.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote