Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Having some trouble with Calibre 0.4.109(python upgrade)

Hi kovid,

I am having some trouble with the latest version. I upgraded as my previous version 0.4.88 decided to stop running as well. It was only after building the newest version that I realized my system had updated to Python 2.6 and that this may be cause of both versions not running. Here is the output I am getting from console, this is on Linux btw.

Code:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mechanize/_auth.py:14: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import re, base64, urlparse, posixpath, md5, os, random, sha, time, copy
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/mechanize/_auth.py:14: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  import re, base64, urlparse, posixpath, md5, os, random, sha, time, copy
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyPdf/pdf.py:52: DeprecationWarning: the sets module is deprecated
  from sets import ImmutableSet
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('calibre==0.4.109', 'gui_scripts', 'calibre')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 277, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2180, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1913, in load
    entry = __import__(self.module_name, globals(),globals(), ['__name__'])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 26, in <module>
    from calibre.library.database import LibraryDatabase
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/library/database.py", line 15, in <module>
    from calibre.web.feeds.recipes import migrate_automatic_profile_to_automatic_recipe
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/web/feeds/recipes/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>
    from calibre.ebooks.lrf.web.profiles import DefaultProfile, FullContentProfile
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/ebooks/lrf/web/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from calibre.ebooks.lrf.web.profiles.nasa          import NASA
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/ebooks/lrf/web/profiles/nasa.py", line 33, in <module>
    class NASA(DefaultProfile):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/calibre/ebooks/lrf/web/profiles/nasa.py", line 64, in NASA
    (re.compile(r'<div id="download_image_box_print">.*?<div id="caption_region_print">', re.IGNORECASE | re.DOTALL), lambda match : '<New Stuff>'),
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/re.py", line 188, in compile
    return _compile(pattern, flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/re.py", line 236, in _compile
    raise ValueError('Cannot process flags argument with a compiled pattern')
ValueError: Cannot process flags argument with a compiled pattern
Any ideas? Is calibre able to run with Python 2.6?

Thanks kovid,

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre isn't 2.6 ready. You should be able to have both 2.5 and 2.6 on your system. Just install calibre using easy_install-2.5
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried installing Python 2.5 alongside 2.6 and I had a bit of a mess but I think I got the requirements reinstalled. However, when I try to build I get this error:

Code:
usr/bin/sip -c /home/kevin/builds/calibre/calibre-0.4.92/build/temp.linux-i686-2.5/calibre.plugins.pictureflow -b /home/kevin/builds/calibre/calibre-0.4.92/build/temp.linux-i686-2.5/calibre.plugins.pictureflow/pictureflow.sbf -I /usr/share/sip -x VendorID -t WS_X11 -x PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug -t Qt_4_4_1 -g src/calibre/gui2/pictureflow/pictureflow.sip
sip: QChar has ctors with the same Python signature
error: command '/usr/bin/sip' failed with exit status 1
Any ideas?

Kevin
Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
ould
Zealot

I managed to get a little further and actually was able to build and install it but now at the end of the install I am getting this output:

Code:
Setting up bash completion...
  File "/usr/bin/calibre_postinstall", line 8, in <module>
    load_entry_point('calibre==0.4.109', 'console_scripts', 'calibre_postinstall')()
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/linux.py", line 446, in post_install
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/calibre/linux.py", line 172, in setup_completion
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 59, in <module>

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 32, in _config

TypeError: argument 1 of QSize() has an invalid type
  File "setup.py", line 465, in <module>
    subprocess.check_call('calibre_postinstall', shell=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 462, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command 'calibre_postinstall' returned non-zero exit status 1
I get pretty much the same thing if I try and run calibre as well.

Thanks Kovid,

Kevin
Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm that seems to be a bad intercation between PIL and pyqt does

Code:
python2.5 -c "from PIL import Image"
work?
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
ould
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm that seems to be a bad intercation between PIL and pyqt does

Code:
python2.5 -c "from PIL import Image"
work?
Yep that seemed to work. No output, no error messages. My PyQt version is 4.4.4 if that makes a difference. PIL is 1.1.6.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Last edited by ould; 12-03-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try installing the latest version of calibre as debugging an older version is too much work for me.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
ould
Zealot

This was with the latest version 0.4.109.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm that traceback doesn't make sense. There is no line 32 in PIL/__init__.py (atleast not in my system). What distro are you using and how did you install PIL?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
ould
Zealot

I am using Arch Linux. I installed PIL by basically doing this:

Code:
python2.5 setup.py build_ext
  python2.5 setup.py install
I checked my PIL/__init.py__ and it doesn't really have anything in it other than some comments.

Weird indeed.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most likely there is crosstalk between your python2.5 and 2.6 instances. I'm afraid you're on your own debugging that. Alternatively, use the calibre binary installer
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
ould
Zealot

I managed to get it working but I had to take some drastic measures. I had to completely remove python 2.6 and all related packages. I then installed python2.5 from an older package and had to manually reinstall all the req'd python packages. I also had to tell my package manager not to update python but that could mean I won't be able to update my OS. Any idea on a timeline to python 2.6 compatibility??

Secondly is it normal that every time I upgrade the database seems to not work and I have to remove my metadata.db and in doing so I lose all the info? It's rather annoying but maybe it is me doing something wrong?? **Disregard, luckily I didn't remove the metadata.db and only renamed it temporarily, after running calibre one time and exiting I moved the original metadata.db in place of the newly created empty one and my database was back to it's original state**

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by ould; 12-03-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

python 2.6 compatibility should happen over the next few releases. You certainly shouldn't lose metadata.db on every install.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I just switched my dev box to python 2.6 so calibre 0.4.110 should work with 2.6, though its various parts will need testing.