Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 06-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Proust, Marcel: The Remembrance of Things Past

You may blame me for this.

I'm extravagantly fond of the collected editions MR user pynch has been creating. (His collected works of James Joyce is a read-in-progress on my tablet.) I consider his contributions prime examples of the eBook maker's art.

He previously created a collected volume of the writings of French author Marcel Proust, whose seven volume À la Recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past) is one of the classic works of literature.

Pynch's collected Proust includes À la Recherche du temps perdu. But while I took French, Spanish, and Latin long ago, I had no cause to use them and remember almost none. I am not up to reading Proust in the original French.

I asked Pynch in a PM if he'd consider doing a companion volume with an English translation. The University of Adelaide has the works in the Scott Moncrieff translation and available as ePubs, and I have the set, but I lusted after an omnibus edition.

Pynch was not enthusiastic: he thinks of translations as bastard children, and prefers to produce only electronic versions of the originals. But he then stated that the University of Adelaide did decently formatted works, and he could do a quick-and-dirty omnibus package with a cover and internal links, which he could send to me. I could upload it to MR, and it would be my bastard child, not his.

That was what I'd hoped for when I made the request, and I agreed enthusiastically.

So credit goes to the University of Adelaide for the original eBooks collected here, and to pynch for the superb packaging.

Blame goes to me as the instigator.

Meanwhile, I'm delighted to have this, and I hope you will be too.

Thanks, pynch!
______
Dennis
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Proust - Remembrance of Things Past.epub (3.49 MB, 997 views)
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Hi,
thank you for this! Bastard is such a negative word - let's call this your (you and Pynch) love child

tuskin
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin View Post
Hi,
thank you for this! Bastard is such a negative word - let's call this your (you and Pynch) love child
Call it what you like. As long as it meets a need for you, too, I'm happy, and I suspect pynch is too.
______
Dennis
Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Bombur
Bombur began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
French is my bastard language. I was taught, but, unlike English, it did not stick. I am very delighted by this translation.
Thanks.

Last edited by Bombur; 06-30-2016 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling again
Bombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombur View Post
French is my bastard language. I was taught, but, unlike English, it did not stick. I am very delighted by this translation.
Thanks.
You're quite welcome. My understanding is that the Moncrieff translation is considered a good one. I have to take that on faith. My French wasn't good enough back when I had any fluency to judge it.

The problem for the translator of literature is to preserve not only the meaning but the feel of the original prose.

Moncrieff's prose reads well, and appears to be doing its best to capture the rhythm of Proust's prose as well as its sense, so I'll happily settle.
______
Dennis
Advert

Tags
literature, marcel proust