Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Page Flip -- New Kindle Feature

Amazon Announces Page Flip– A New Way to Hop, Skim, and Jump through Kindle Books

Quote:
To learn more about Page Flip visit www.amazon.com/pageflip
Quote:
Easily find and reference pictures, tables, bookmarks, and highlights

Turn one page at a time, or zoom out to a bird’s eye view of your book

Flip back and forth between pages with ease knowing that Page Flip will save your place
Quote:
Today, Amazon announced Page Flip, a reimagined Kindle navigation experience that makes it easy to explore books while always saving your place. With Page Flip, readers can easily flip back and forth between pages to reference different parts of the book while they read. Page Flip will be delivered as part of a free, over-the-air update starting today to Kindle E-readers, Fire tablets, and the free Kindle app for iOS and Android.

“Page Flip makes it easier than ever to refer back to pictures in a political memoir, flip back and forth between a map and your current page in an epic fantasy series, or find passages you’ve highlighted in an investing guide,” said Chuck Moore, Vice President, Kindle. “With Page Flip, we’ve taken inspiration from how people read print books and improved upon it.”

Explore your book

Zoom out to get a bird’s eye view of the book and quickly find what you’re looking for. At a glance, easily recognize specific pages as you jump around. Pictures, charts, your highlights, and the layout of each page are easy to see with Page Flip’s pixel-accurate thumbnails that automatically adjust as you change your font and margin settings.

Save your place

Page Flip automatically saves the page you’re reading in a book, pinning it to the side of your screen for easy navigation. Flip back and forth in a book with confidence, knowing you can instantly jump back to reading with a simple tap of your pinned page.

“As an author, I love knowing that my work is presented with fluid clarity, freeing my readers from the page shuffling that can cloud and spoil the narrative,” said Laura Hillenbrand, best-selling author of Unbroken. “With Page Flip, books become vastly more accessible, navigable, interactive, and enthralling. As a ravenous reader and scholar, I savor the ease with which Page Flip allows me to keep thumbnails of maps and diagrams, my notes and highlighted passages, and bookmarked pages before me as I read, so that all I wish to see is accessible with the tap of a finger and my focus never has to leave the storytelling.”
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Cute video with the gramma!
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
That looks like a greatly improved UI for an existing feature. I'm less than clear why it needs support in individual books though. (What's the betting it's a feature in the KFX reader only?)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
In fact it's an old feature, bacause Page Flip is available on all Kindles newer than PW1.

The only new thing I saw here is a "bird’s eye view" of the book.

I'm also curious about the book compatibility with Page Flip - because the older version worked perfectly with all of my sideloaded books.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a feature I'd never use. My Kindle is set to factory defaults. I turn it on, read for awhile, then turn it off. To me, a Kindle is nothing more than an electronic paperback.
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is a feature I'd never use. My Kindle is set to factory defaults. I turn it on, read for awhile, then turn it off. To me, a Kindle is nothing more than an electronic paperback.
I could not agree more. I feel the same as you.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, but with paperbacks you have the ability to stick your finger in the book and flip to another page. With Kindles pre-Page Flip, you couldn't do that, or at least not very easily, and if you bounced around with quick page-forward/back it would mess up the reading time estimates. The old Page Flip UI let you do that: the new one seems to give you some abilities you can't have with paper books, notably to, as it were, strip the pages out of the cover and look at more than one or two at once, from a distance.

This seems especially likely to be useful with textbooks and other factual works (those that will fit into a paperback form factor readably!) where there are often images that float to several pages away that you have to glance at and that sort of thing.

I guess this means a 5.8.2 is coming... (this wasn't in 5.8.1, was it?)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202037720

Its now 5.8.1.0.1

I use the page flip on my Oasis/Voyage all the time. I read a lot of historical novels and my brain it is a sieve. So often at the start of a new chapter, there is a year and place listed to where we are in the story. I constantly have to go back to say first chapter to refresh the time so I know how old the characters are now are. Or where they were and are now.

Its also useful to flip through a few pages back when I was sleepy when reading. Next day I don't remember all of it. Not only is mind a sieve, its a sleepy sieve at times.

Works fast with flip. In a paper book I'd have to find the chapter beginning by flipping through the pages. Which has gotten harder over the years with paperbacks being so darn tight and stiff now.

Curious about what they changed. It worked pretty good for me. I love that it remembers all of those locations to rotate through them as needed.

Last edited by Atunah; 06-28-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
That looks like a greatly improved UI for an existing feature. I'm less than clear why it needs support in individual books though. (What's the betting it's a feature in the KFX reader only?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
In fact it's an old feature, bacause Page Flip is available on all Kindles newer than PW1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Curious about what they changed. It worked pretty good for me. I love that it remembers all of those locations to rotate through them as needed.
I had no idea this was already available. So what was added or changed?
Old 06-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just put the new update on and in addition to the usual page flip we already had, you can now also use that other icon thingy to see page of page screenshots basically. Not sure how to explain this. I think that amazon page shows some of this. You see in the link in the OP.

9 pages are listed on the page. And it still remembers where you were on the bottom as usual. They just added this to the already existing page flip.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I just put the new update on and in addition to the usual page flip we already had, you can now also use that other icon thingy to see page of page screenshots basically. Not sure how to explain this. I think that amazon page shows some of this. You see in the link in the OP.

9 pages are listed on the page. And it still remembers where you were on the bottom as usual. They just added this to the already existing page flip.
Very nice. I also used the previous Page Flip feature.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
fardeenah
Connoisseur
fardeenah began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
will this work with side loaded content
fardeenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fardeenah View Post
I just checked with a book I converted in calibre and then send to my cloud with send to kindle and the old page flip we already had works as always. But the new feature with the 9 pages on one page thingy does not. It said something like not available for this book, I can't recall now as the popup only showed up once when I tried to click that option.

It says on the Amazon link that it only works with selected books already. So not working for my docs stored in my amazon cloud and on my Oasis.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru

Well, that's very interesting.

I went online, there was a very brief flicker of traffic, and next time I popped up the menu, the new page flip was there! I'm still on 5.7.4, so this is actually a feature lurking in 5.7.x waiting for Amazon to turn it on.

At least in 5.7.x, it all looks a bit different than Amazon says: one mode looks just like page flip used to, but the other mode keeps the bottom box but changes the main screen into a view of nine pages at once. (Amazingly, the text on these tiny pages is *still readable* even if you were using the smallest font size, though it's an effort). I'd guess this looks a bit different in v5.8.

Viewing multiple pages at once appears to require some unclear change to the book (maybe just a flag flipped, in which case I'm sure we'll figure out what it is), so it doesn't work with sideloaded content, at least not yet (or at least not previously sideloaded).
Old 06-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fardeenah View Post
Not with the Kindle iOS app (which did not have Page Flip until today).

The previous Page Flip feature does work with third party content on my Paperwhite, but it remains to be seen whether the 'new, improved' Page Flip will continue to work after the update (which isn't yet available for either of my Kindles).

The Android app does not yet have the update.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-28-2016 at 03:57 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote