Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
imageraw
Connoisseur
imageraw began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
"connect" 650 to wifi device?

The idea is to leave the laptop at home as often as possible. The 650 is not wifi enabled, and I often need it to download (mainly) PDF articles.

Can you plz advise on: any way to travel light on a combination of (for instance): the 650 and some wifi-enabled smartphone (I'm out of my depth here)?

Right now, I can think of two things:
a) I should be able to connect the 650 to the smartphone (or whatever) and see it on the screen of the latter as a hard-disk (mission impossible, probably);
b) if the smartphone (or whatever) were compatible with either a SDHC or MemoryStick Pro-HG-Duo card, I could download what I need on the smartphone's card, remove it, and use it on the 650.

I know I'm not asking for much, but it'd be really great if the smartphone's OS were compatible with Calibre and I could use Calibre to convert Kindle books I get on Amazon to read them on the 650...

Any idea/help/suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
imageraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Smartphones often have additional memory slots. Mine uses the microSD. Can't you insert the microSD into a regular SD "adapter", then use that in the Sony 650?

Haven't tried it, but the way, just wondered if this would work, based on what you mentioned.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
imageraw
Connoisseur

thanks FizzyWater, it sounds like an excellent idea. I could use my old Nokia E63 for PDFs (and forget about the Calibre conversion thing, thought it'd really be great if there was a solution to this as well) and wouldn't need to unnecessarily spend money on a new device. It'll take a while before I can actually test it (travelling right now) so if you or anyone else has more suggestions, please let me know!

ps: my eyes cannot stand back-lit devices for more than an hour, hence my query.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
userloser
userloser began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
thanks FizzyWater, it sounds like an excellent idea. I could use my old Nokia E63 for PDFs (and forget about the Calibre conversion thing, thought it'd really be great if there was a solution to this as well) and wouldn't need to unnecessarily spend money on a new device. It'll take a while before I can actually test it (travelling right now) so if you or anyone else has more suggestions, please let me know!

ps: my eyes cannot stand back-lit devices for more than an hour, hence my query.
I am using an android smartphone with an sd card to copy books to the prs-650, and calibre companion/openvpn to sync the tablet with my main calibre installation. works quite well.
userloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
imageraw
Connoisseur

sounds great userloser! could you tell me which model are you using (if it's acceptable on this thread/forum)?
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
userloser
userloser began at the beginning.

Device: prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageraw View Post
sounds great userloser! could you tell me which model are you using (if it's acceptable on this thread/forum)?
I am using nexus7, but it should be possible to use any android device that has usb host functionality.

I hook a cheap no-brand card reader dongle and a cheap no-brand otg usb adaptor i got from dx.on to it, but I suppose you can use any other adaptor. Stickmount app on google play is for mounting the card the card.

That's all there is to it.

I haven't tried it, but it may be possible to hook the sony directly to the nexus.
userloser is offline   Reply With Quote