Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #76
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
As for not being able use a device (like your iPhone), that is entirely another matter and has more to do with how tech savvy a person is than on anything else. Did you even RTFM? Pardon my French, but I chuckle at reviews on Amazon complaining about how hard it is to use something and then it turns out they didn't even attempt to read it.

--Pat
Shouldn't need a manual to make a phone call on a phone.

In my case, however, I consider myself a tech expert (as do my employers and clients) but it wasn't my iPhone. It was the first smartphone I'd encountered, I asked the person next to me if they had a phone I could use to make a quick call, and he handed me an iPhone. I looked at a screen full of icons where I was expecting to see a numeric keypad ('cuz it's a phone) in bewilderment for about 4 seconds, then handed it back and said "Dial this number for me please." I needed to make a call, not learn a new OS.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 01-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"PHAAAAAAAAblets! Get yer red-hot phablets!"

"Man, I'm freezin' my phablets off heah!"

"Everyone take their phablets out and turn to screen 10 of page 350."

Seriously... I'm dying a little on the inside if people are actually saying that word out loud in conversation. Typing/reading it on the internet is one thing, but please, PLEASE, tell me people aren't really adopting it in the real world.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #78
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
First, I'd like to quote myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I feel bad for the simple minded people who pen these articles. I can't imagine thinking that PCs, tablets, e-readers, and the like are static devices that come and go. It's much more fun to be able to follow the evolution of information and entertainment technology. The e-reader isn't a direct descendent of the scroll. It's a branch of the tree of personal computing. It evolved from laptops and evolved into tablets. It will not go away.
I really do not understand the need to categorize these things. If someone installs a VOIP app on a Kindle Fire, does that make it a Phablet? When someone claims something is the best and follows the claim with three paragraphs of qualifications, I am not impressed. In fact, I don't often pay attention to 'best' or 'leader' or 'top' when I am shopping for anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barclays Capital
Where we differ from other research on phablets – under the narrow definition – is that we believe consumers will consider more than just display size when choosing a mobile device. We believe they will also focus on price, performance and portability. In the next two to three years, the phablet appears to be the optimal device vs regular smartphones (better portability and smaller screen size) and 10-inch tablets (better display quality, but high price and weak portability).
Other researchers do not believe price, performance and portability will matter to consumers? Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barclays Capital
Among the outcomes of such a battle are “more bad news for the PC/Win8 industry,” perhaps, as “The growth of phablets represents a potential increase of cannibalization of other data-consumption devices, especially NB PCs, in our view.”
I wonder if the author typed that article into an iPhone. While it's great to be able to read my email on a bus or in traffic, and I occasionally cuddle up with an e-reader, if you are reading more than a half dozen words from me, I'm typing on a full size keyboard in front of a pair of 24" screens attached to PC/Win8 hardware.

In a linked article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topeka Capital Markets’s Brian White
In our view, the iPhone 5 unibody aluminum case is a work of art and we believe it would be even more popular with the ability for consumers to choose from a wide array of vibrant colors that only Apple can deliver. Eventually, we expect Apple to bring a wider array of colors to the iPad
(I'm probably going to get a cease and desist from iLawyers for violating an 'array of colors' patent.)

The best quote on this topic might be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Well then, it is a pretty useless report.
and you get karma for that Madness!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #79
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Actually, the resolution of my Note and vertical display makes it possible to view a whole A4 coursebook page on one screen (PDF), which has not been possible on either Kindle or my notebook (1366x768). "View" means not just see Greek, but characters clear enough to read. This, coupled with "pinch to zoom" and a fast processor makes the Note my first truly mobile device being able to deal with PDFs adequately. And I had quite a few, even a SimPad (a Siemens 8" WinCE tablet of old).
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
Actually, the resolution of my Note and vertical display makes it possible to view a whole A4 coursebook page on one screen (PDF), which has not been possible on either Kindle or my notebook (1366x768). "View" means not just see Greek, but characters clear enough to read. This, coupled with "pinch to zoom" and a fast processor makes the Note my first truly mobile device being able to deal with PDFs adequately. And I had quite a few, even a SimPad (a Siemens 8" WinCE tablet of old).
Perhaps you misunderstand me. The device itself might be the most fantastic thing since sliced bread. I hope you get all the enjoyment you can possibly get out of it. Hell, I may get one someday. My only beef is with the ridiculousness of the word phablet... and nothing else.
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #81
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

"Man, I'm freezin' my phablets off heah!"

Seriously... I'm dying a little on the inside if people are actually saying that word out loud in conversation. Typing/reading it on the internet is one thing, but please, PLEASE, tell me people aren't really adopting it in the real world.
Haven't you heard? "Phablets are the future"!
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #82
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps you misunderstand me. The device itself might be the most fantastic thing since sliced bread. I hope you get all the enjoyment you can possibly get out of it. Hell, I may get one someday. My only beef is with the ridiculousness of the word phablet... and nothing else.
"Screen 10 of page 350" made it sound like you were suggesting it would take at least 10 screenfuls to display one page of info, dissing the usefulness of the smaller screen versus a full size tablet or reader.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"Screen 10 of page 350" made it sound like you were suggesting it would take at least 10 screenfuls to display one page of info, dissing the usefulness of the smaller screen versus a full size tablet or reader.
I assure you, that was not the case. I was just running out of phablet sentences. Although in my defense... there's not a resolution high enough that would allow my tired old eyes to read an entire A4 page of text on one 4, 5, 6-inch screen. Too tiny is too tiny at some point.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #84
ApK

Quote:
Although in my defense... there's not a resolution high enough that would allow my tired old eyes to read an entire A4 page of text on one 4, 5, 6-inch screen. Too tiny is too tiny at some point.
I was thinking the same thing.
Yeah, there may be a correlation between aging population and failing eyesight, and the popularity of larger screens on mobile devices.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #85
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
There are probably plenty who do say it, and think it's cool......

There is no hope, this is the world we live in.

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #86
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Let's just call it what it is. A big-ass phone.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.
Yeah, there may be a correlation between aging population and failing eyesight, and the popularity of larger screens on mobile devices.
On my trip to Egypt a couple of months ago there was a lady in our group who used her iPad as a camera for the whole tour, and I thought every day how very silly it looked to take pictures that way. And it's not even as if it's a particularly good camera, either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Big-ass phones are the future.

It does roll off the tongue a little better!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #89
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Depends how things are implemented. If the Video RAM is shared (part of the device's RAM), then larger screen will require more RAM. If the video RAM is dedicated, then it doesn't matter.

For processing power, it shouldn't matter as the GPU should take care of drawing to the screen, though some of the drawing is still done in the CPU, so again, it depends.

Edit: in this context, "larger screen" means greater resolution, not physically larger. There are no additional RAM or processing power requirements for physically larger screens.
Thanks for that clarification. So then the answer is yes, a larger screen size can necessitate more RAM and processing power, especially in the case of higher res screens, and many of the phablets have higher res screens.

At any rate, to underscore how RAM and processors don't drive sales, many of the product pages for mobile devices on Amazon don't even list specifics for them. But they always list the screen size.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #90
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
... but it wasn't my iPhone. It was the first smartphone I'd encountered
OK, well than that makes perfect sense why you needed so much Help! I was beginning to think you were just some old Fool on the Hill.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote