Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #346
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Probably not due to them having to fix the issue. It would probably be new. What I see is Amazon is going to be out alot of money once they do fix this issue because no one is going to want to keep theirs when the fixed version comes out and does not have hues problem.
Oh do you think? Even if I'm past the 30 days? Well, that makes me feel better then. I hope that will be the case. Thanks Blossom.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #347
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've taken the liberty to image edit Trauma Doll's picture of her PW. The coloring could just be an artifact with the camera used. But this should show the issue(s) more clearly then before.
Nah, the colors on mine (especially my first unit) are very persistent and unique. Enough so that I could easily tell the two apart without looking at the unit names if they were mixed up. Also, the screenshot you were working with was my second unit (I can tell by the pink shape in the middle that I think of as the Mississippi River (or 'the intestine')); my first one was much worse.

I sent the first unit off to Cupertino this morning. I also included a short letter for whoever was working on it telling them exactly where to look to see one of the more obvious pink/blue demarcations. (I mean, I'm pretty confident it'll be obvious to anyone who spends more than 60 seconds with the unit, but this forum does make it seem like some folks don't see the issue even in what looks to me like obvious photos of it. Maybe that part is down to monitor differences though.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #348
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post
I think they'd be out of more money if the Amazon image is tarnished and they lose many happy kindle customers. It is in their best interest to do everything they can to make it right for those customers who aren't satisfied.
That is true but I imagine heads are going to roll when they find out who is responsible for not catching it before release date.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #349
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just getting a chance to get on MR today, so I haven't had time to read up to current on the various threads I'm following. So if this has already been mentioned, then sorry.

I checked out the poll numbers on Kindle Boards about the screens and to my surprise nearly 1/3 of those participating indicated they either got a replacement or returned their PW due to bad screens. Considering KB is little more than a "yea Kindle" kind of forum, that is a significant percentage. Poll numbers in MR are pretty high for replacements and returns also. I doubt either of these polls reflect actual percentages as KB and MR don't accurately represent the entire Kindle community, but I've never seen this much of an issue with any Kindle before. I've heard the initial release of the K2 was problematic, but since I purchased mine months after release I missed all the forum chatter about it.

As I was typing this my 2nd replacement arrived. Time to check it out.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #350
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
De-register the device, then perform a factory reset.
I looked for a factory reset option but couldn't find it, so I just deregisteted them and mailed 3 of them back.
I think I will try to get replacements one more time, just need to take a eeep breath before I call, maybe meditate some before I do it...

The ones I kept are the last ones they sent. The Wifi has a pink hue to most of the screen, the 3g blue-green with a pink frame around it mostly, ...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #351
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just getting a chance to get on MR today, so I haven't had time to read up to current on the various threads I'm following. So if this has already been mentioned, then sorry.

I checked out the poll numbers on Kindle Boards about the screens and to my surprise nearly 1/3 of those participating indicated they either got a replacement or returned their PW due to bad screens. Considering KB is little more than a "yea Kindle" kind of forum, that is a significant percentage. Poll numbers in MR are pretty high for replacements and returns also. I doubt either of these polls reflect actual percentages as KB and MR don't accurately represent the entire Kindle community, but I've never seen this much of an issue with any Kindle before. I've heard the initial release of the K2 was problematic, but since I purchased mine months after release I missed all the forum chatter about it.

As I was typing this my 2nd replacement arrived. Time to check it out.
I checked the kindleboards poll too, the problem is pretty rampant. Plus those that vote that they are happy may also have issues they simply don't notice, or if they do, it doesn't bother them. At this point I am honestly convinced that all of the PW's have these same issues to some degree or another.

Let us know how your replacement PW is. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #352
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm so confused by this whole thing. I saw someone post this image online saying their PW has "no discoloration", with this photo as proof:

http://s1359.photobucket.com/albums/...004_192133.jpg

Is it possible we're dealing with some sort of weird/specific colorblindness in a given percentage of the population?

Quote:
I checked the kindleboards poll too, the problem is pretty rampant. Plus those that vote that they are happy may also have issues they simply don't notice, or if they do, it doesn't bother them. At this point I am honestly convinced that all of the PW's have these same issues to some degree or another.
I'm pretty sure I voted I was happy with my screen in the very first poll here, because the sequence of events went like this:

1) Read mobileread forums while waiting for delivery. Oh, people are complaining about shadows from the LED lights, weird. It can't be that bad.

2) Tear open box. Crank up light. Yeah, the shadows from the LED lights are totally tolerable.

3) Vote in poll. Post happy preliminary review.

4) Look back at the *rest* of the PW screen and note that it's all pink and blue.

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #353
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I'm so confused by this whole thing. I saw someone post this image online saying their PW has no discoloration:

Is it possible we're dealing with some sort of colorblindness in a given percentage of the population?
I'm thinking yes. I clearly see color issues with that one.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #354
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post

Let us know how your replacement PW is. Good luck.
Unfortunately Replacement #2 is no better than Replacement #1. If anything it has a darker background when the light is turned to level 0. And #2, a designation which fits it if you get my drift, is definitely more pink especially around the screen edges with blue green shadows in the upper 2/3 of screen. Replacement #1 and #2 are very similar and its difficult to which is worse or better. Both are readable, but I don't care to read with all the inconsistent light shadows and discolorations. Just too distracting and I'm sure my reading speed has decreased significantly with the PW and my eyestrain has increased.

I read for a few hours with my Touch last night using the heavy MightyBrite clip on and realized how much nicer and whiter the screen looked than the PW. I hate having a clip on though, so I need to explore what options I have, if any.

I'm going to return both Replacements. I already returned the original a couple of days ago. I've got another unrelated UPS delivery coming tomorrow so I give them to the UPS guy to return.

Anyone have the new Fire HD 7"? Did they ever add two-page landscape mode? I know they added this to the Kindle for Android app, but in the past the Kindle for Android and Kindle for iPad apps were better than the native app on the old Fire.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #355
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I'm so confused by this whole thing. I saw someone post this image online saying their PW has "no discoloration", with this photo as proof:

Is it possible we're dealing with some sort of weird/specific colorblindness in a given percentage of the population?

I'm pretty sure I voted I was happy with my screen in the very first poll here, because the sequence of events went like this:

1) Read mobileread forums while waiting for delivery. Oh, people are complaining about shadows from the LED lights, weird. It can't be that bad.

2) Tear open box. Crank up light. Yeah, the shadows from the LED lights are totally tolerable.

3) Vote in poll. Post happy preliminary review.

4) Look back at the *rest* of the PW screen and note that it's all pink and blue.
My SIL is red-green color blind. She says she cannot tell the difference between Red traffic lights and green ones, so she has to look at where they are located on the signal light to know which one is lit. Pink-green color blindness is possibly a real thing too.

And yes, that photo definitely had color issues to my eyes!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #356
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Anyone have the new Fire HD 7"? Did they ever add two-page landscape mode? I know they added this to the Kindle for Android app, but in the past the Kindle for Android and Kindle for iPad apps were better than the native app on the old Fire.
I don't think so not yet the main new features are X-ray and immersion reading. I am getting one next month. I am told though the screen is worth the upgrade. It's so crisp and clear for reading.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #357
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm thinking yes. I clearly see color issues with that one.
Me too, and I was wondering the same thing. I know a large percentage of the population - primarily men- have some degree of color blindness they don't even know about.

But I had no colors on my screen at all in the beginning, so I kept thinking it was an isolated few with this issue, until my second screen turned colorful, then I received two very colorful screens, and ultimately even my first one developed very slight coloration.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #358
Trauma Doll
Addict

(Replying over in the Alternatives thread.)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #359
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't think so not yet the main new features are X-ray and immersion reading. I am getting one next month. I am told though the screen is worth the upgrade. It's so crisp and clear for reading.
Thanks. I tried to look at some video reviews but all the ones I found are more interested in showing everything but the reading app. They quickly go through the reading app with very little detail. Oh well, I guess I'm left with no real options other than to continue using my Touch. The Fire was marginally okay in portrait but due to its weight I was more comfortable reading with it in landscape, but those overly elongated book pages are too much of a distraction. I sure wish Amazon would hire engineers that actually read on these devices, then we would get a lot more of the options we have been requesting.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #360
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Unfortunately Replacement #2 is no better than Replacement #1. If anything it has a darker background when the light is turned to level 0. And #2, a designation which fits it if you get my drift, is definitely more pink especially around the screen edges with blue green shadows in the upper 2/3 of screen. Replacement #1 and #2 are very similar and its difficult to which is worse or better. Both are readable, but I don't care to read with all the inconsistent light shadows and discolorations. Just too distracting and I'm sure my reading speed has decreased significantly with the PW and my eyestrain has increased. .
What a shame, but not a surprise really. Like I mentioned earlier, I really believe they all have issues. I'm convinced of it. No one has the elusive "good" PW.

I'm keeping my second PW as it's pretty good, at least so far, and I really don't like using a clip on light. Overall I'm happy enough with it to keep it.