Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
The link Sony sent me is: http://support.sony-europe.com/compu...en_GB&m=PRS-T1

It seems to go to the PRS-T1 support page, and I can see the latest versions of the desktop reader software there for Mac & PC, but nothing about firmware. Either I'm missing something, or maybe the person who sent me the email is getting ahead of the person who maintains the site?
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
But see, this would dispel the notion that Sony doesn't listen to its users. Or issue updates for that matter. We can't have them acting like a decent company afterall!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post

It seems to go to the PRS-T1 support page, and I can see the latest versions of the desktop reader software there for Mac & PC, but nothing about firmware. Either I'm missing something, or maybe the person who sent me the email is getting ahead of the person who maintains the site?
Could be. I too do not see a firmware update. But one thing I do see that some may want is that if you switch the device to the 650, you do get a link to Reader Library 3.3.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post

No, I don't see anything yet. When a firmware update is available, then you will see it listed on the support page along with the Reader desktop software. Also, another way that you can get updates is to connect your T1 to your computer via USB, open the Sony Reader software, and then go to Help > Check for Updates.

Theoretically, T1 updates should happen over the air (OTA) wirelessly. That's how the firmware update was done last year for the 950. However, since the T1 automatic deliveries of periodicals and cross-device syncing are currently not functional, then I suspect that means OTA updates probably aren't either.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Thank you, Bookworm Girl. I've sent them a screenshot of the page, and pointed out that there's no mention of firmware updates. I think I'll go back to reading my book now .
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Insalata
Zealot

The reply from Sony wasn't terribly clear, but it sounds as if they're telling me to update my desktop software: “as it can stabilise the E-Reader and provide minor updates through the programme itself.”

I was already running the version they linked, and I don't know if there really is a firmware update, or if they just used the wrong word in their first message.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I don't believe I said Sony was ignoring a problem. I said they were not addressing the flipping pages & freezing in that release in the OP (the one in the box in). And by release I mean the statement issued at Sony e-support which the OP had the link to.

I have nothing against Sony. I want them to fix the problem because I really liked the T1. I've been a big Sony fan ever since I got my PRS 350. But that release as posted in the OP did not say a thing about any issues. It addressed how to use the the T1. It is only if you go to the link you see Sony's opening statement about the freezing & crashing. Which I admit I did not go to at first. I just read the OP statement.

I agreed that we need to let Sony know what problems we are having & I said that. So how does that mean I'm not giving Sony a break & that some people can't be pleased?

Last edited by Pomtroll; 10-28-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
So you are now blaming me for not being specific?

The link is there for the single purpose of allowing interested and/or concerned T1 owners to read what Sony are requesting.

It is good that you actually decided to follow the link to read the target thread in its entirety and thus understand fully what posters to this thread were discussing.

I added that information as a quote because there has been some discussion of late about how new users are using the touch screen and how that may contribute to the issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No sabredog I am not blaming you. If you read my posts you would see that I am not. BUT I took what you said & others also that some people can't be pleased (my paraphrase) as saying I could not be pleased. And I did say I went to the link later. When I first read your opening post I did not have time to go there since I was getting ready to shut down my computer & head off to work.

But to me your opening post only indicated that Sony was just telling us how to work the T1. There was no indication from that post that Sony said they were looking into the freezes & crashes only that Sony was doing something which I could not see from your post.. MY mistake for not understanding what you implied & that I did not immediately use the link to see what Sony had posted in the first paragraph.

Last edited by Pomtroll; 10-28-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A link to the discussion thread regarding the T1 issues at the Sony Forum. This is a different link to the one I posted in my original post and is also quite informative.

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11379

Personally, I believe that Sony are being fair about this issue. One can only hope that a firmware patch is in the offing soon, once their software engineers have gathered enough data to determine what is causing the errors.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
Pomtroll
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
A link to the discussion thread regarding the T1 issues at the Sony Forum. This is a different link to the one I posted in my original post and is also quite informative.

https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11379

Personally, I believe that Sony are being fair about this issue. One can only hope that a firmware patch is in the offing soon, once their software engineers have gathered enough data to determine what is causing the errors.
I posted on that thread. And I have said before Sony was more than fair with me. No problems returning my first T1 nor any problems with returning my second one. I'm just hoping they have a fix soon because I really like the device and enjoyed using it when it worked.

I planned on using it at night & toting my 350 around in my purse. To say the least I was disappointed mine didn't work & frustrated when others had no problem. I felt I was doing something wrong until others started having the same problem.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #27
sabredog

My T1 is sitting on the dining room table awaiting a cover. I have loaded it with ebooks, set up wireless and done some browsing of Mobileread. Looking forward to using my new T1 in anger soon. Be nice to have a new firmware patch on it when I do.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Can you give me more info? I've been trying swipe only (previously only used buttons as those are more comfortable for me) for the past two weeks in an attempt to experience what you guys are - and nothing so far. I haven't had a crash or freeze..maybe an extra page flip or so every so often, but nothing like a crash or a freeze.
If and how often it occurs depends on the device. The problem occurs frequently on some (several times in one evening) and seldom (once a week) or even never on others (or only once a month or once a year...).

My PRS-T1 I have seems to do it seldom, in the 1 1/2 weeks I have it, it happened only twice. Swiping is almost consistently okay, almost. But 2 occurrences is not enough too tell the actual frequency, maybe it will not crash for a whole week or maybe it is already the next page turn I will do.

From the reports so far it seems some have it more often than others which of course leads to a different perception of the severity of the problem and even denial by those who had the luck not to encounter the problem (up to now...).

My guess is the problem is a timing issue which are the type of bugs in realtime systems (such as a device driver) which are very hard to track down because it is not repeatable but depends on sheer luck of having an event just at the wrong time. Like Russian Roulette with a revolver with 1000 slots. 999 do not have a problem but the one shot does. And some have more bullets and others have none, making it all very unpredictable.

What makes this worse is when a Sony designer/tester adds debugging code to track down the bug, the extra code may well prevent the bug from happening at all. So it is not easy to find the cause. Maybe it cannot be found by debugging/testing but only by code review, analysing every possible path through the code.

But what is apparent is that the bug exists and is bugging the user off guard at unexpected times. It is just not reliable, you cannot trust the next swipe to succeed.

I hope this was clear to you.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:16 AM   #29
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1dnn View Post
If and how often it occurs depends on the device. The problem occurs frequently on some (several times in one evening) and seldom (once a week) or even never on others (or only once a month or once a year...).

My PRS-T1 I have seems to do it seldom, in the 1 1/2 weeks I have it, it happened only twice. Swiping is almost consistently okay, almost. But 2 occurrences is not enough too tell the actual frequency, maybe it will not crash for a whole week or maybe it is already the next page turn I will do.

From the reports so far it seems some have it more often than others which of course leads to a different perception of the severity of the problem and even denial by those who had the luck not to encounter the problem (up to now...).

My guess is the problem is a timing issue which are the type of bugs in realtime systems (such as a device driver) which are very hard to track down because it is not repeatable but depends on sheer luck of having an event just at the wrong time. Like Russian Roulette with a revolver with 1000 slots. 999 do not have a problem but the one shot does. And some have more bullets and others have none, making it all very unpredictable.

What makes this worse is when a Sony designer/tester adds debugging code to track down the bug, the extra code may well prevent the bug from happening at all. So it is not easy to find the cause. Maybe it cannot be found by debugging/testing but only by code review, analysing every possible path through the code.

But what is apparent is that the bug exists and is bugging the user off guard at unexpected times. It is just not reliable, you cannot trust the next swipe to succeed.

I hope this was clear to you.
Clear for me? Hm..I think you've come in late to the conversation and missed a few steps..

Some reports make it sound like a memory leak, and on a few threads back some posters noticed certain behaviors of readers having a problem being in common...such as using touchscreen primarily, reading straight for hours at a time without switching screens or putting it to sleep...stuff like that, although some crashes/freezes appear to just be out of the blue. I've never had one while reading a book or out of the blue, so in an attempt to see if it is the behavior causing a crash, the past two weeks I've used only touch screen. Nothing yet so far. I suppose next I'll use only touchscreen and won't switch out of a book when I stop reading...maybe the action of switching screens clears the memory - I don't know, but worth a test I suppose.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
ZaZg
Isabelle G
ZaZg doesn't litterZaZg doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Cool Me too!

Coming in a bit late, but I bought a Sony PRS-T1 last Thursday. I was utterly thrilled when I started using it, I believe it is such an improvement to my defunct PRS-505, I was totally charmed.

That is, until it crashed for the first time. And the second. And then stopped turning pages. And then flipped pages too fast. And then...

I searched the Web, found out I was not the only one, so it is not a problem unique to my very own device.

As Sony wants us to, I wrote to them Sunday morning (Nov. 6th), not expecting an answer. However, in the afternoon, the Reader froze again, and this time there was nothing I could do: not even a hard reset. It stayed in the Home Page and wouldn’t budge. I am good enough with electronic devices, so I know I did everything I could.

I *really* like the PRS-T1, so I decided to take my chance and go back to the store for a replacement unit. Which I did. And it works fine (for now, crossing my fingers).

In the meantime, however, I got a reply from Sony:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to flip the pages properly on your Sony eReader and not starting up properly. Do this problem happen only with one book or with others too; and have you tried using your fingers to flip the pages using the touchscreen?

follow the steps below:

Step 1 Connect the Reader to the computer

Step 2 Press the Reset pin hole for 5 seconds

Step 3 Move the power switch once

Step 4 Disconnect the Reader

Step 5 Move the power switch once

Once you have followed the steps above the Reader will display Reader Opening book. Allow the Reader a few moments to load. If you receive a no battery message, please connect the Reader to the computer, press the Reset for 5 seconds, move the power switch once and leave the unit charging.

NOTE When charging the Reader, if it is through the computer, leave it charging for 3 hours. If the unit left longer or overnight the battery will drain, causing the Reader to freeze. Also make sure the computer does not go on a sleep mode so it charges correctly.

If the issue persists, please follow these steps on how to do a hard reset to your Sony eReader PRS-T1:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1024494

If the issue still persists, please reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for being a valued Sony Customer.

Sony of Canada, Ltd.
I can’t apply these advices on my previous unit, but it *may* work for the current one. At any rate, I thought I’d post this here. Maybe it can help someone else.
ZaZg is offline   Reply With Quote