Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
DonnaCBaker
DonnaCBaker began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Can't open, can't install, can't uninstall

It's been a while since I attempted to open Calibre on my laptop, so I don't know what has changed. Today, when I attempted to open it, I got the message:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly cannot import name QVariant (error code: 1)

I decided to try reinstalling it from the download site. It went through much of the installation process, then brought up this message:

"A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: c\windows\installer\calibre-0.7.7[1].msi"

When I clicked "OK," it told me that an error has occurred and stopped the installation. I need to uninstall the previous version of Calibre.

So I tried to uninstall my current version of Calibre and got this message again:

"A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: c\windows\installer\calibre-0.7.7[1].msi"

Any ideas how to work through this?
DonnaCBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaCBaker View Post
It's been a while since I attempted to open Calibre on my laptop, so I don't know what has changed. Today, when I attempted to open it, I got the message:

"Python function terminated unexpectedly cannot import name QVariant (error code: 1)

I decided to try reinstalling it from the download site. It went through much of the installation process, then brought up this message:

When I clicked "OK," it told me that an error has occurred and stopped the installation. I need to uninstall the previous version of Calibre.

So I tried to uninstall my current version of Calibre and got this message again:

Any ideas how to work through this?
7.7 is not the current version. (that appears to be a second copy, also. Find and Delete the calibre MSI files .

Download the version you wish to install to the local HD.
Do NOT use a download manager.
If your antivirus is not set to 'Ask me what to do", you may not know it has messed with your Calibre files. Only accept if from the official Calibre download site.

Install from the local file.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
DonnaCBaker

Thanks for the advice, but I searched my entire hard drive and found no .msi files at all. I decided to delete everything from the Calibre 2 folder and then ran RegClean to clear away the broken links in the registry. Then I downloaded the newest version of Calibre from the official site--saving the download file to the drive and running it from there. It almost completed the installation and then again said:

and stopped the installation. Somewhere there's a residual element of the old Calibre that's refusing to let a new one be installed. Any further suggestions?
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but I searched my entire hard drive and found no .msi files at all. I decided to delete everything from the Calibre 2 folder and then ran RegClean to clear away the broken links in the registry. Then I downloaded the newest version of Calibre from the official site--saving the download file to the drive and running it from there. It almost completed the installation and then again said:

and stopped the installation. Somewhere there's a residual element of the old Calibre that's refusing to let a new one be installed. Any further suggestions?
The 'installer' folder is a hidden system folder
Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Then I downloaded the newest version of Calibre from the official site
Newest version doesn't say what version you downloaded. The newest version is 0.8.6, is this the version you are downloading?

I'm also curious about what OS your running?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Newest version doesn't say what version you downloaded. The newest version is 0.8.6, is this the version you are downloading?

I'm also curious about what OS your running?
That path says W7 (I never did paid Vista)
Old 06-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The 'installer' folder is a hidden system folder
I never knew about that folder despite having used Windows for years!

I have just tried setting my Windows 7 Pro based system to (temporarily) show system files (I already had it set to show hidden files) so that I could look at that folder. I found that the 'installer' folder on my system is about 2.4GB in size so I see this is another way that Windows can quickly use up free disk space
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
DonnaCBaker

I am on Windows 7, and I had already changed my explorer to show hidden files. The *.msi file isn't there. The version of Calibre I've downloaded is 0.8.6.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I never knew about that folder despite having used Windows for years!

I have just tried setting my Windows 7 Pro based system to (temporarily) show system files (I already had it set to show hidden files) so that I could look at that folder. I found that the 'installer' folder on my system is about 2.4GB in size so I see this is another way that Windows can quickly use up free disk space
I just got a new laptop that had W7 . A bit of a change from XP.
I exposed hidden files and extensions for years to avoid the 'double extension' malware gambit.

BTW I did not know about the folder either. I saw the path listed as a 'System' folder, rather than a download folder where I would expect a MSI to live.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
DonnaCBaker

Oops. There are *.msi files--many of them. I was looking for the one named "calibre-0.7.7[1].msi" and there isn't one. But taking a second look, I found an .msi file with Calibre as the owner, and deleted it. It was called 13d3a99.msi. I attempted the install of 0.8.6 again and got a new message--but same problem:

================================================== ===========
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'calibre-0.7.7[1].msi' in the box below.

Use source:
[defaults to] C:\Users\Donna Cox Baker\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UWREEMEF\

===========================================

Is it possible that, if I could get a copy of this old .msi file, I could put it there and get past the problem?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't understand why the installation of 0.8.6 would want to refer back to an MSI file from 0.7.7- that makes absolutely zero sense. I'd almost suppose the file was broken. Try to redownload, possibly from another mirror (see the website). At least, you can't break anything worse doing that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oops. There are *.msi files--many of them. I was looking for the one named "calibre-0.7.7[1].msi" and there isn't one. But taking a second look, I found an .msi file with Calibre as the owner, and deleted it. It was called 13d3a99.msi. I attempted the install of 0.8.6 again and got a new message--but same problem:

================================================== ===========
The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'calibre-0.7.7[1].msi' in the box below.

Use source:
[defaults to] C:\Users\Donna Cox Baker\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UWREEMEF\

===========================================

Is it possible that, if I could get a copy of this old .msi file, I could put it there and get past the problem?
you can get all back versions at http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/

not that you might need to add the '[1]' to the filename
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I suspect windows installer needs the msi for the previously installed version to verify the files before upgrading/un-installing. Use an msi cleanup utility to get around it.

See http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/23415/83181.aspx

or

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-92874f80b248
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
DonnaCBaker

Thanks, kovidgoyal. I used the Microsoft cleanup utility, "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2," suggested in your second link, and I'm back in business. Also, thanks for Calibre. It's a treasure, and I'd have hated to lose it.