Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #46
Marco9000
Marco9000 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One
Thanks for the swift reply.
Too bad you don't sell it here so I guess I have to order it online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
Marco, thanks for your interest. We don't have a supplier in Cambodia and Thailand yet. We ship worldwide, so that won't be a problem.
Marco9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
catharsis it does indeed have selection zoom. Several of the Onyx folk actually worked at Irex prior to Onyx. Pearl Screen.

There is no Xournal port yet that I have seen
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #48
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
That's good. I love my iRex DR800, but 9,7", wifi and pearl screen does sound very tempting. Also, I was greatly disappointed by Pocketbook 903's software and lack of SDK, so it's better to ask.

PS about Xournal port: if firmware is good enough, then it's not really needed. And the problem with porting is availability of SDK and some graphical libraries. And, of course, passionate people. I'm looking forward for M90 launch.

Last edited by catharsis; 04-21-2011 at 04:35 PM.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #49
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Cannot wait to test it!
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #50
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Ok, I'm in. Ordered the Boox M91S. Not the M90 because 2 years ago I had a VERY aweful experience with iRex DR1000S (detailed elsewhere on MobileRead) and some of the problems with the DR1000S are directly related to the fact that it has a WACOM screen so I decided to go for the simplest possible configuration. Also I figure that the faster CPU is going to prove more useful than touch and wifi in day-to-day use for me since annotation isn't something I do and the Wifi functionality is definately going to be of LESS use than on a PC or Tablet.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #51
Boltorn
Boltorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Ok, I'm in. Ordered the Boox M91S. Not the M90 because 2 years ago I had a VERY aweful experience with iRex DR1000S (detailed elsewhere on MobileRead) and some of the problems with the DR1000S are directly related to the fact that it has a WACOM screen so I decided to go for the simplest possible configuration. Also I figure that the faster CPU is going to prove more useful than touch and wifi in day-to-day use for me since annotation isn't something I do and the Wifi functionality is definately going to be of LESS use than on a PC or Tablet.

Did you order it from onyx-international.com?
Was the price in euro or dollars? Thanks in advance!
I too am planing to buy M91S - I need the device for pdf i doc reading (academic stuff). I have WiFi in a notebook, and annotations on a paper (yes, I know ).

Hoping for your review when you get it.

BTW. I'm new to this community - although I was lurking quite a while Cheers All!
Boltorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #52
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
The only reason I'm considering the Touchscreen version is because of the keyboard. Using the dictionary, or searching for stuff without the stylus is going to be a pain in the ass using the virtual keyboard. You'll have to navigate to each key and press it.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #53
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltorn View Post
Did you order it from onyx-international.com?
Was the price in euro or dollars? Thanks in advance!
I too am planing to buy M91S - I need the device for pdf i doc reading (academic stuff). I have WiFi in a notebook, and annotations on a paper (yes, I know ).

Hoping for your review when you get it.

BTW. I'm new to this community - although I was lurking quite a while Cheers All!
Did not order it from onyx-international.com but via the EbookReaderStore (you have one of those in many European countries, it seems).
It's a pre-order so I don't really know when I'll get it although I'm hopeing to get it around 15 may since this seems to be the GO date.
Here it costs around 330Euro + shipping.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #54
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
The only reason I'm considering the Touchscreen version is because of the keyboard. Using the dictionary, or searching for stuff without the stylus is going to be a pain in the ass using the virtual keyboard. You'll have to navigate to each key and press it.
Yeah, it's a tough choice but from some information I've read on Chinese websites there are some more things to be aware of :
- apparantly the M90 has "only" 1GB Flash, whereas the M91s has 2GB ?!
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/trans...f20111902.html
- the M91s however appears NOT to have a dictionary, so that could be a decider for some
- the Wifi + Touch will drain the battery faster and the Touch screen does need to be "On" all the time for it to be useful. Unclear how Wifi works but I assume it will only be turned on (hopefully automatically) during certain functions (like when the Web Browser is opened). That's something you really should test before buying because a Wifi connection takes some time to establish and it could be very annoying having to wait , say 15 seconds, before you can actually do anything with that web browser.

Either way a compromise must have been decided on for the M90 between Battery drainage and Comfort of Use so I hope they hit the sweet spot but it's hard to please everybody so it may very well come down to experimenting with the Setup Options.

What makes me hopeful about the device in general :
- I read that the white margins in PDFs can be automatically removed. If that works well it's a big plus feature. Most other eReaders fail to do this which makes for a serious waste of "Screen Estate"
- Also read about a test with a very heavy (500MB+ PDF on the device which actually performed better than on an iPad.
http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/trans...f20111882.html

So... still hopeful that this is The One eReader device that CAN do PDFs comfortably.

The best picture of the M90/M91s I've found :
http://www.mobread.com/uploads/allim...04I0F24-19.jpg

Last edited by kleykenb; 04-30-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added url
Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 AM   #55
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kleykenb: Note that the firmware of the M90 is pretty much the same as the one on their current models, so if you want to know more about how it handles PDFs or other formats, just ask around or look up the 6" models. From the videos that I've seen, it seems to be one of the best PDF readers around.

Regarding the battery life, I too am concerned that the M90 will have poor battery life. I think that it uses the same CPU that the 6" models use and their battery life is pretty crappy compared to the Kindle.
The M91S on the other hand, supposedly has 45 days of standby time, so that might amount to 2 weeks or so of use? (kinda like the Kindle DX I guess).

Regarding the internal memory, it doesn't matter, you are going to use an SD card to expand it anyway, so who cares if it's 1GB or 2GB.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #56
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
The best picture of the M90/M91s I've found :
http://www.mobread.com/uploads/allim...04I0F24-19.jpg
Great picture! I've uploaded some unboxing pictures of the Onyx Boox M91S
Check on onyx-boox.com and facebook.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #57
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
I want to ask if the onyx has text to speech
thanks a lot
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #58
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
I want to ask if the onyx has text to speech
thanks a lot
Yes it has, you can check all the options in the manual of the M91S (M90 manual is not yet available)
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #59
sammy
Connoisseur
sammy began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS 700 entourage edge PB 360 PB603 Kindle DXG Onyx Boox M92
thats great! which langauges are supported, does it read in German
Thanks
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #60
Caleb666
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
Yes it has, you can check all the options in the manual of the M91S (M90 manual is not yet available)
Quote:
Boox is powered by an 8-level grayscale e-ink screen that looks and feels like paper. Passive lighting and diffuse surface relaxes your eyes and reduces eye strain.

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90