Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
jackitsu
jackitsu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reflective LCD vs. e-ink?

I have it narrowed down right now between the Jetbook Lite and the Astak Pocket Pro... but the one thing that would make it or break it for me is the quality of the LCD vs. the e-ink. On the one hand I like the faster refresh rate of the LCD, but on the other hand having crisp lines that are easy on my eyes may be more important.

Thoughts?
jackitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
celson
celson is on a distinguished road

Device: jetBook
I bought my jetBook even before to get any e-ink based device in my hands, but when I see pictures or videos showing both display technologies, I really think the effect to my vision is almost the same. Sure the LCD TFT is a bit greenish but it's not a problem for me.

Well, pehaps I could change my opinion after I get an e-ink based device in my hands (and see it with my eyes).
celson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
The two main advantages of eInk are: (1) long battery life, (2) reading in sunlight.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I think it depends where you do the majority of your reading. E-ink devices excel at being read in daylight and sunshine but if you're Reading in areas with poor light you'd need an external light source as in lamp or book light.

LCD is poor in sunshine / outdoor situations but good indoors.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Actually the Jetbooks TFT Screen is excellent outdoors yes including sunlight.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
LCD is poor in sunshine / outdoor situations but good indoors.
I disagree as well -- the jetBook LCD is exceptional outdoors. You are probably thinking of traditional backlit LCDs... like what most laptops use. But the jetBook is not backlit, and uses ambient lighting to its advantage. The better the lighting, the better it looks.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I find that e-ink is readable in dimmer light than the jetbook LCD. But both are about the same in good bright light.... except for slightly better contrast (to me) on the jetBook LCD.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I just can't get past the blackout when turning pages on the eInk. I don't own one, so I would probably get used to it eventually. But reading a book on a Sony Pocket Reader I had my hands on, I really felt that I had a significant pause between pages, and it was annoying.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
jetBook doesn't have the blackout effect.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #10
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
The Jetbook/Libre ePaper LCD looks perfectly fine in sunlight, so the only real point in favour of eInk is its battery life -- the fact that energy is not used except when turning pages.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I have a Jetbook and yes, the screen is excellent outdoors and in sunlight. No problems at all.

I also have a Sony and I do like the whiter screen of the eink.

Also
have the ebookwise with the backlit LCD screen and the reflection on the screen in sunlight is noticeable. I like it for its bigger page-turn buttons and its backlight in darker situations.

The Sony is so elegant and feels so well-made, and as I said I like the whiter screen and the beautiful look of the words on the 'page'.

And the jetbook I love because - it's just so darn lovable.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackitsu View Post
...but on the other hand having crisp lines that are easy on my eyes may be more important.
jackitsu, having seen both the TFT and the eInk screens, I can say that the crispness of the lines is not a factor for me.

I recommend that you make your decision based upon other criteria.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
doug38
doug38 began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco jetBook or Aluratek Libre
With my new Libre, is there a way to make the Find function repeat, so it can search the same word multiple times through a text, from start to the end? Typing in the term more than once is quite troublesome.
doug38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackitsu View Post
I have it narrowed down right now between the Jetbook Lite and the Astak Pocket Pro... but the one thing that would make it or break it for me is the quality of the LCD vs. the e-ink. On the one hand I like the faster refresh rate of the LCD, but on the other hand having crisp lines that are easy on my eyes may be more important.

Thoughts?
This link about jetBook (and jetBook-Lite) screen will be helpful.
Many people who have both units (with TFT and e-ink screen) think that TFT is better.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
akira28
Nameless Being

The best example I have found showing one of the major differences between these two technologies is this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JetbookVSKindle screen.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	47598