Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
kod
kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.kod shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: iPad
Exclamation iPad Flash Browser

This is saying about flash browser list, I tried couple of free ones before, couldn't open movies. Anybody is using puffin (paid one) any feedback? Don't want to pay for it if it is not working.

http://mashtips.com/flash-player-ios/
kod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I for one would want to avoid Flash sites (or videos) because they would drain the iPad's or iPhone's battery so much. (Just watch what havoc Flash wreaks on a MacBook.)

Flash is dead (definitely in the mobile space), thank heavens, so let's forget about it and move on.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I for one would want to avoid Flash sites (or videos) because they would drain the iPad's or iPhone's battery so much. (Just watch what havoc Flash wreaks on a MacBook.)

Flash is dead (definitely in the mobile space), thank heavens, so let's forget about it and move on.
Flash sucks and should be avoided, however many web developers haven't gotten that memo yet. Some sites need to be visited and they are heavy flash sites. For example, when I traveled during the holidays several airport websites used Flash to display their terminal maps. There were no alternatives available.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
There are quite a few browsers which claim to run flash but none can really perform. If flash is a must have for you then I recommend returning the iPad for Android. There are quite a few killer Android tablets which should meet your needs however with that being said, flash for mobile devices is all but dead so do your homework first!

Good luck!
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
There are quite a few browsers which claim to run flash but none can really perform. If flash is a must have for you then I recommend returning the iPad for Android. There are quite a few killer Android tablets which should meet your needs however with that being said, flash for mobile devices is all but dead so do your homework first!

Good luck!
+1

i have photon, puffin and skyfire and couldnt agree more with you...but at the same time the same thing could be said about flash and android...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I thought that having flash was important to me, however when I was on android I found that I missed the video content from iTunes more. in the UK the google play stre does nor sell TV programmes and their selection of movies is not as great as on itunes. I can buy any movie or TV show I want from iTunes. There are apps available on iOS that allow me to stream content which are not available on android. All of this outweighs the advantages of flash for me.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
There are apps available on iOS that allow me to stream content which are not available on android
which ones?
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
which ones?
Lovefilm instant and blink box. They are available on the iPad in the UK but not on android devices.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
There are no advantages to mobile flash. Adobe has dumped it, which tends to lend credence to the notion that its dead. The web developers are always behind the times. Flash is now and always was, a royal pain. There are better alternatives. I prefer plain old HTML, myself.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
There are no advantages to mobile flash. Adobe has dumped it, which tends to lend credence to the notion that its dead. The web developers are always behind the times. Flash is now and always was, a royal pain. There are better alternatives. I prefer plain old HTML, myself.
Same here! HTML just seems more reliable. I'm rather happy to say farewell to flash
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Goodbye flash!

I tied one so called flash broser and wasn't impressed
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Inspired by this thread, I went and bought Puffin for my iPod Touch & iPad (and am tire-kicking the free Android versions of it and Skyfire on my Xoom, though Flash player still sort of works in the stock browser). For some reason, it never occurred to me to look for one: truly, I don't do a lot of mobile web browsing, so I have no particular requirement around Flash-enabled web sites.

However, based on my limited experiences so far, and even for as little mobile browsing as I do, it seems to me worth having a Flash supporting browser like Puffin around, even though it has some problems, 'just in case'. E.g., I can watch c-span video. it won't go full screen, and is not free of artifacts, but I'd rather have the capability than not. And there are 'Flash needed' sites that work much better than c-span for whatever reasons.

Convenience and availability often trump quality and productivity.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote