Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
likeadeadstar
likeadeadstar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Newest Calibre not working for editing Read status on Kobo

I just upgraded to the latest version of Calibre today. I went into Calibre today to add new books, and also take care of my biggest pet peeve, which is removing books from Im_Reading that I accidentally clicked open. It's one of the godsends of Calibre for me.

Well, despite doing the usual deletion... when I eject my Kobo (last model before the touch series) it resets and claims I am still reading the items. I'm also getting weird 'expired' classifications on a few newer items, which shouldn't be there, but the inability to edit is driving me mad.

Any suggestions? Or is this a bug?
likeadeadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
likeadeadstar

And now, it's getting worse... every book I delete and re-add for any reason comes up as Expired and useless - won't show up at all in books list on Kobo!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What firmware level is on the Kobo WiFi ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeadeadstar View Post
And now, it's getting worse... every book I delete and re-add for any reason comes up as Expired and useless - won't show up at all in books list on Kobo!
I will try to push a fix for this for this week release. If you sync your device with Kobo the Expired Status books will disappear. I will simply hide them.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
J-Gro
J-Gro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm using the Kobo Touch and am having the same problem with some books showing up as "expired" in the Collections field; those books don't show up in my Kobo library at all when I use the device.

This includes a title that I deleted from the device and then re-added (I wanted to see if the Calibre update fixed the problem of covers not transferring); as well as some PDFs that were previously accessible on my Kobo but are now "expired."
J-Gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Gro View Post
I'm using the Kobo Touch and am having the same problem with some books showing up as "expired" in the Collections field; those books don't show up in my Kobo library at all when I use the device.

This includes a title that I deleted from the device and then re-added (I wanted to see if the Calibre update fixed the problem of covers not transferring); as well as some PDFs that were previously accessible on my Kobo but are now "expired."
Upgrade to the latest calibre release
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
likeadeadstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I will try to push a fix for this for this week release. If you sync your device with Kobo the Expired Status books will disappear. I will simply hide them.

Tim
How will hiding books that are already hidden and shouldn't be expired, since I paid for them, help me? They're unreadable right now, and will be if you hide them. This is a serious problem. I downgraded Calibre and voila, no issues. Something you've done since version 7-5 has made the program improperly identify books, render them useless, and stopped the functionality of being able to edit Kobo's I'm Reading list.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
likeadeadstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What firmware level is on the Kobo WiFi ?
Whatever it would have come with in box since Dec 2010. I haven't changed it. It was a birthday gift.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
How will hiding books that are already hidden and shouldn't be expired, since I paid for them, help me? They're unreadable right now, and will be if you hide them. This is a serious problem. I downgraded Calibre and voila, no issues. Something you've done since version 7-5 has made the program improperly identify books, render them useless, and stopped the functionality of being able to edit Kobo's I'm Reading list.
Hi

Apparently I am not understanding your issue. Can you tell me the exact steps that you were following and what happens versus what should happen.

I have not seen any weird issues myself but I regularly reset my reading status so I may be missing something.

Right now it works like this:

If your Metadata handling is set to manual (Under Preferences-Send to device)

1) Calibre reads your database and displays the status that you have on the device.
2) Editing a collection tag on the device via calibre resends the entire collection to the device with any updates (if you had 10 books in Im_Reading and you removed a tag for one book it clears them all and sends updates the status of the 9 books. (Just the way it works in Calibre and should work fine)

Deleting a book (not a tag) removes the file and all related rows except the book row which is updated to Expired (This is how the device does it). The book is now hidden in the Kobo and now in Calibre. Expired book rows are removed by the device during a sync.

If you want to recover a book you need to login to your account at the kobo website and put the book back on your reading list (normal ePubs and PDF docs can just be reloaded)

The automated metadata process is similar except it replaces the statuses on your device with what ever your tags within Calibre are set to be for Closed, Im_Reading or Read.

Let me know what you are seeing and I will get it fixed.

Tim
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Whatever it would have come with in box since Dec 2010. I haven't changed it. It was a birthday gift.
You might like to check using Kobo Desktop for updated firmware. The current firmware for the WiFi is 1.9 dated March 2011.

You can see what firmware it has by going to the Settings menu.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
likeadeadstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Hi

Apparently I am not understanding your issue. Can you tell me the exact steps that you were following and what happens versus what should happen.

I have not seen any weird issues myself but I regularly reset my reading status so I may be missing something.

Right now it works like this:

If your Metadata handling is set to manual (Under Preferences-Send to device)

1) Calibre reads your database and displays the status that you have on the device.
2) Editing a collection tag on the device via calibre resends the entire collection to the device with any updates (if you had 10 books in Im_Reading and you removed a tag for one book it clears them all and sends updates the status of the 9 books. (Just the way it works in Calibre and should work fine)

Deleting a book (not a tag) removes the file and all related rows except the book row which is updated to Expired (This is how the device does it). The book is now hidden in the Kobo and now in Calibre. Expired book rows are removed by the device during a sync.

If you want to recover a book you need to login to your account at the kobo website and put the book back on your reading list (normal ePubs and PDF docs can just be reloaded)

The automated metadata process is similar except it replaces the statuses on your device with what ever your tags within Calibre are set to be for Closed, Im_Reading or Read.

Let me know what you are seeing and I will get it fixed.

Tim
I'll walk you through what I did and the problems I had when using the new Calibre version.

When I edit a collection tag, the metadata file won't update. I unplug the Kobo, let it reload and process as per normal, and the book remains in I'm Reading, for example, despite my deleting the tag. So, as your example went, I tried to change it from 10 to 9 books, but the list persisted in showing 10 books.

Because I was having this problem, I decided to work around it by deleting books entirely that I wanted to get out of the I'm Reading list. However, when I re-added them to the library on Calibre then sent them to device, after unplugging and letting Kobo process, the books did not show in the ereader library. I then checked back on Calibre, and they showed as being in the collection tag 'Expired'. Since deleting the collection tags isn't changing the data on the Kobo, there was no way to restore the books to working and visible on the device. The books are purchased; they are not expired.

I deleted the 'Expired' books again and removed the new Calibre, then freshly installed Calibre 7-5, which is what I was using before upgrading. When I downgraded back to Calibre 7-5 and re-added the books that had become 'Expired', they displayed as normal and, after sending to the device, showed up as normal in my library. I was also able to edit collection tags again, and the data updated on the Kobo properly. Basically, the normal process you described works with Calibre 7-5, but not the newest version.

FYI: I never load purchased books with the Kobo app; it constantly resets books as new/I'm reading when you sync. I download the Adobe file direct from the Kobo website and then sideload.

As for the firmware, it's 1.7.4 from Nov 2010 according to my Settings.